Drifting Like to go sideways? Check this forum out.

who here drifts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 08:41 PM

who here drifts?

i mean really drifts. i dont mean you get sideways every once in a while just playing around.i mean you make special trips out to go drifting and try to improveon your sliding skills. the reason i ask is because i see the 240 as the best drift car available. the only reason i want a 240 is to drift it. im a drift person and thats my main goal in a car, is to drift it the best i can. i grip race to, but its not as important to me as drift. id like to see how many 240 owners use their cars for mainly drifting.
Old 02-20-2002, 10:14 PM
Contributing Member

Re: who here drifts?

Originally posted by FC Drifter
i mean really drifts. i dont mean you get sideways every once in a while just playing around.i mean you make special trips out to go drifting and try to improveon your sliding skills. the reason i ask is because i see the 240 as the best drift car available. the only reason i want a 240 is to drift it. im a drift person and thats my main goal in a car, is to drift it the best i can. i grip race to, but its not as important to me as drift. id like to see how many 240 owners use their cars for mainly drifting.
i make special trips to go drifting, but it isn't my cars' main purpose.
Old 02-21-2002, 10:24 AM

well, i'm a non240 owner and never driven one, i was thinking about picking one up as daily driver, but whh do you think the 240 drifts better? is it handling or shape of the car? weight displacement? i dunno, please enlighten...thanks..i'm still looking for another car in the mean while...

Last edited by JQUEST2; 02-21-2002 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-21-2002, 11:12 AM

i dont know why the 240 makes a better drift car. all i know is that evry 240 ive ever driven, from base model S13's to top line S14 SE models, drift better than any other car ive ever driven. they slide better bone stock than most modified cars ive drifted.
Old 02-21-2002, 11:53 AM
Contributing Member

they are light, good weight transfer, they handle pretty good stock...etc..FC's are also great drift cars but they are pretty expensive to maintain due to the rotary
Old 02-21-2002, 07:09 PM

they arent such much expensive to mainain as they are work to maintain. if you know how to do it, an rx7 will cost about as much to keep up as most cars. the main thing is to not go to the dealer for parts. mazda factory parts are expensive and the same parts can be had through local car shops or catalogues for much less. if well maintained a good rotary will last just as long as as a piston engne.
Old 02-21-2002, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by FC Drifter
if well maintained a good rotary will last just as long as as a piston engne.

Really? I just hear so much crap about rotary engines, I'm skeptical, most of the RX7's I see are dogged out and they haven't hit 50 k miles yet and I look at other (piston)cars and they handle the abuse better...I'm not the expert here, but what kind of extra preventative maintanance do you need to do differently on a rotary than a piston? Having never owned for the fact I hear a lot of negative feedback... That's one reason why I picked up my Supra over an RX7...Shoot..I couldn't tell you the difference between a rotary and a piston engine...lol
Old 02-21-2002, 09:06 PM

well no a rotary will not handle any abuse at all. its a motor you just dont argue with. the rotary does not take detonation at all. one good knock and the motor is gone. it wont tolerate overheating. if the motor gets too hot the rotor housings will warp and the motor is shot(first hand experience on this one). oil changes one time are crucial. as well as keeping coolant in the car. the car is work to maintain, there is no about that. but they can be reliable if treated properly
Old 02-21-2002, 11:04 PM
Contributing Member

FC are you Short Bus?
Old 02-21-2002, 11:06 PM

umm ok what does that mean? you call me short bus, which i take as you mean to say im stupid. then show me a pic of an angry monkey pointing. if you are trying to call me stupid because i say a rotary can be reliable, then your insultis pointless. i know what i am tallking about. granted a rotary is a very delicate motor, and is known to break with one small litle problem a piston motor could take with ease. bt i stand by my statement. a well maintained(read: constantly worked on and kept in 100% working order) can have a long and productive life. i know several guys who own moded 3rd gen rx7s who still have the original motor in their car. and 3rd gens are the most fragile and finiky of all rotaries.

Last edited by FC Drifter; 02-21-2002 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-21-2002, 11:28 PM
Contributing Member

sorry i was talking to a guy from another board named short bus and he said he was gonan come here. he has an FC also and though that you might be him. i didnt mean to imply that your stupid or any thing of the sort. also the monkey pic is his avatar on the other site
Old 02-21-2002, 11:31 PM

oh ok then. my bad. no im not short bus. i go by FC Drifter on all but one forum. and that forum probably isnt one most people from here are on.
Old 03-05-2002, 05:07 PM

I know three RX-7 guys that have all blown more than one RX-7 motor a piece. But they still swear by the car. That kind of loyality from these guys is for a good reason.

I still haven't figured out the joy of drifting. Looks like fun but what praqcticle use do you have for doing it?

Just curious.

Jester
Old 03-05-2002, 05:13 PM

I want a AE86 as my drift car with a SR20DET motor swap and then weld in some metal plates in the rear to give it some weight so it doesn't just spin its tires. I've ridden in a few of them with Japanese friends out drifting and those things kick *** to drift.
Old 03-05-2002, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by JESTER
I know three RX-7 guys that have all blown more than one RX-7 motor a piece. But they still swear by the car. That kind of loyality from these guys is for a good reason.

I still haven't figured out the joy of drifting. Looks like fun but what praqcticle use do you have for doing it?

Just curious.

Jester
its a great show of skill and just all around funas hell. i know what you mean about 7's popin motors. im on my second myself. i was still newto the car and le it get a little too hot one day, next thing i know, coolant is bubling up between my rotor housings. oh well, live and learn i guess.

Quick Reply: who here drifts?