S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Drifting (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drifting-47/)
-   -   Wing Question? (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drifting-47/wing-question-39567/)

jramosthe1st! 06-07-2007 04:20 PM

^^^
i was being sarcastic about everything except the +30mph. especial since down force on a fwd car will raise the front end and like you mentioned about the air flow, it will cause even more air to go under the car and could lose traction if it's bad enough.

USMCDrifter 06-07-2007 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st! (Post 320028)
^^^
i was being sarcastic about everything except the +30mph. especial since down force on a fwd car will raise the front end and like you mentioned about the air flow, it will cause even more air to go under the car and could lose traction if it's bad enough.

Oh, excellent, I'm sorry that I went on an assumption rampage, it's just that doing what I do, you hear a lot of kids that tell you about wings and how they work, and all I hear is that teacher from Charlie Brown. *sigh*

-Stig

Initial Daniel 06-07-2007 04:59 PM

Those are pretty hardcore speeds for an Auto-x...lol. Lets all talk about it, I'm interested in seeing one of these!

USMCDrifter 06-07-2007 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Initial Daniel (Post 320033)
Those are pretty hardcore speeds for an Auto-x...lol. Lets all talk about it, I'm interested in seeing one of these!

Those are impossible speeds for an autocross, like . . .not legal speeds for an autocross. ROFLOL

-Stig

ryguy 06-07-2007 09:19 PM

Dude, that parking lot would have to be like six miles long.

USMCDrifter 06-08-2007 01:52 PM

LOL! So it'd be a Super Wal-Mart parking lot?

-Stig

battosaii930 06-08-2007 02:46 PM

coming around the big u turn was sort of a straight away and i topped out 3rd at 8k rpm's well over 100mph, lol but i could never slow down fast enough for the turn at the end always spinned out on all 4 runs >.<.

anyway so its not legal? i know atleast 2-3 other people that hit that kind of speed that day.

It wasnt a SCCA event it was a club sponsored Auto-X by the Porsche Club of America but they do have to follow SCCA rules still right? im not too familliar with the Rule book.

battosaii930 06-08-2007 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by ryguy (Post 320087)
Dude, that parking lot would have to be like six miles long.

it was in a open lot in an old horse race track thats no longer active its.... huge ive noticed the Porsche sponsored Auto-X make the courses alot faster then anyone else

Initial Daniel 06-08-2007 02:55 PM

Are you sure they're not doing like...CIRCUIT TRACK RUNS? Auto-x is more technical rather than high speed entry and the like...

Ah, I'm not like a PRO or anything, but thats what I've always assumed.

USMCDrifter 06-08-2007 02:59 PM

Autocross is, by definition, a low speed time trial ran on a course laid out by pylons. It's highly technical and does not focus on speed but driving skill keeping speeds below most highway speeds. The maximum speed seen in any autocross is rarely above 70. You were probably running a circuit or track day event. It's cool though, circuit racing is a great way to hone in your driving skill as well. I have fun every time I hit the tracks, VIR, RA, Lime Rock, Watkins Glen . . .some of the greats.

-Stig

battosaii930 06-08-2007 03:15 PM

they used cones like every other Auto-x

USMCDrifter 06-08-2007 03:27 PM

word, it probably was a setup course like an auto-x, but 100mph, that's outside of that realm, hahaha! That would make auto-x dangerous and stuff, then we'd start needing roll cages and other garbage . . .*sigh* I hope they never do that, they're already thinking about requiring us to wear fire suits. I mean, I have mine already, but I know how expensive they can be, that would really detract from the appeal of autocross . . .

-Stig

battosaii930 06-08-2007 04:02 PM

i agree, if you need a fire suit then not many beginners will want to go to Auto-x events.... i mean its more dangerous driving on the street then it is at an Auto-x whats the worst that can happen you hit a cone?

USMCDrifter 06-08-2007 04:05 PM

Well, I've seen wheels come off, cars flip, and people understeer into dangerous areas. The last one is usually because of poor setup (light poles on the track, parking too close to the track, paddock to close to the track, pits to close to the track) but I have seen people lock their brakes going into stop boxes, LOL! It's always fun to see the grid worker jumping outta the way!

-Stig

battosaii930 06-08-2007 04:11 PM

LOL well never seen a wheel fall off and all the events ive been too have been clear lots no poles, im not going again till i get my new clutch though lol, slipping sux ; ;