Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

5 spd upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Regulate

5 spd upgrades

Hey everyone,
I'm looking into swapping out the auto tranny in my 96 for a 5 speed. I was wondering, while I'm going out and obtaining a manual transmission, what are some good upgrades I can get for it.

Flywheel? Clutch? What are some good brands to look at?

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

lightened flywheels are great for getting a few horse back and letting the motor rev easier. and they dont hurt gas mileage, they help!!!!
I can get a very good deal on them.
email me if you want one.
iroc_07@yahoo.com
Old 05-14-2005, 10:37 PM
Regulate

When I decide when I'm going to get the swap done, I'll let you know.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:49 PM

lighter flywheels help on the donw low (take off faster) u need more mass for more top end heavy = good for high bad for low light = good for low bad for high
Old 05-16-2005, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by chiroke
u need more mass for more top end heavy = good for high bad for low light = good for low bad for high
That makes absolutely no sense.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by chiroke
lighter flywheels help on the donw low (take off faster) u need more mass for more top end heavy = good for high bad for low light = good for low bad for high
I think it's the other way around. If you run a lighter flywheel, the engine needs to rev higher to move the car from a dead stop, so you need to ride the clutch more until the car starts moving, whereas when you're already moving (ie - highway), the car has quicker acceleration...
Old 05-17-2005, 04:41 AM
Regulate

I think what he meant to say was, a lighter flywheel is better for low end, but not as good for high end power.

The factory flywheel is heavier, because it helps with highway mileage. A heavier flywheel has more momentum while spinning, so if you let go of the gas, it continues to spin longer than a lighter flywheel. That means the car can coast longer which means getting more miles.

A lighter flywheel takes less to start spinning, which means quicker acceleration.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by rbboyl
I think what he meant to say was, a lighter flywheel is better for low end, but not as good for high end power.
And that still makes no sense.

Originally posted by rbboyl
The factory flywheel is heavier, because it helps with highway mileage. A heavier flywheel has more momentum while spinning, so if you let go of the gas, it continues to spin longer than a lighter flywheel. That means the car can coast longer which means getting more miles.
I suppose the that's true to an extent. But I doubt it's that great of a deal because you're going highway speed in a 3000 lb vehicle that will carry it's own momentum. Besides who the hell drives like that? That'd give you the ****tiest gas mailage ever, accelerating on the highway just to slow down and do it again... Anyway the only downfalls of a light flywheel is the revs drop quicker between shifts and the revs will drop easier when starting from a stop, most noticable drag launches but I don't think it's anything to worry about.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

I think that statement makes sense, but only at a constant speed. The heavier flywheels carries more rotational mass that carries more momentum so the engine won't have to work so hard to spin it. However under acceleration the lighter one would be more desirable, because the speed of the flywheel is constantly changing...
Old 05-21-2005, 10:36 PM

I have a lightened flywheel and haven't noticed ne downfalls. when shifting, the revs DO fall quicker but bounce back up when I floor it. I mostly notice it for gears 1 and 2. I also stayed neck and neck with an SRT4 for those 2 gears(he left me behind in 3rd gear) and my car is stock except for the flywheel and driveshaft. Oh and gas mileage is great with it. Highway driving i havent noticed nething mention. But maybe I don't notice it. Oh yea, I downfall IT IS LOUD AND ANNOYING!!!!
Old 05-23-2005, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

The clutch in my 240 is loud and annoying... when i idle its noisy... but thats off the subject. This is how i look at lightened flywheels. I like them, because i am a driver at heart. Most people dont, because it takes more manipulation I.E. more skill to drive it. Taking off is great in one, as long as you know what youre doing. Along with a lightened flywheel i would get a stage 1 clutch... Just make sure not to dump it during hte first month or so.. You will regret it...

Just my 2 cents anyways