Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

Auto: Tranny will stick in 1st

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 09:58 PM

Auto: Tranny will stick in 1st

I searched and found previous thread from June with similar a question but no answer - hope to have better luck here

I have a '93 with 207k on it. Occasionally it won't shift out of 1st when starting out. It'll redline but usually won't shift (every so often it will shift when I release the gas... usually when headed downhill - but not very often). Pull off the road and turn off the car, turn it back on and bam! it works like a charm.

It seems to happen the most when the weather is damp. It will also happen (though very rarely) when slowing to go around a turn and then accelorating through it - feels like the overdrive kicks in but then never shifts back up.

I've had it checked by a couple of shops and no one knows anything. I've owned the car for a couple years now and it hasn't gotten worse (done since I bought it) but it is starting to get old.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-10-2004, 09:47 AM

checked the transmission fluid eveR?

u willl probably need a tranny rebuild, as somethin like this happened ot my friends hatch(civic that is) but it was 3rd gear

he got a new tranny and well, its good now
nate
Old 10-14-2004, 09:45 PM

Your torque converter could be bad or some of the bands could be bad. Also inside your tranny there is what looks like a plate with a bunch of holes in it, it transfers fluid. Your filter could be clogged as well. Try and take it to a garage and have them flush out the tranny and replace the filter that is the cheapest route to start troubleshooting. Hope this gives you some better ideas of the problem.