Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

Building 5spd tranny... ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 03:39 PM

Building 5spd tranny... ideas?

i recently purchased a 5spd transmission it has 40,000 miles on it. it is sitting in my garage and i have been purchasing parts to install before i even drop the thing in. to date i have bought a NISMO tranny mount kit, i bought an entire gasket set, spec stage 2 clutch, fidanza flywheel, and B&M shortshifter kit, i also found some some misc bushings to tighten up the shifter.... im pretty sure i have what i need, what else can you guys think of that i could throw on this thing to build it up a little more? is it possible to have the actual gears cut and turn it into a true short shifiting tranny? that would be cool
Old 10-07-2002, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

well considering that you're dealin with a KA engine(i\either one) you probaly wont go as far to actually make ungodly amounts of HP to break it. you got the game covered man. slap that B^tch in \. you did more then i would do to this tranny. then again my SR should be here in about a month and a half. i'm tryin to kill this one

you did it right........nough said
Old 10-07-2002, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

you've pretty much made it bullet proof, and thats very good. the spec clutch is good up to 267 lbs/torque i think and once you don't pass that you probably be covered for many many miles.
Old 10-08-2002, 04:00 AM
Contributing Member

I don't think cutting the gears will give you a closer ratio. The amount of teeth might be different but the overall size will be the same.

I think you can change your gear ratio by purchasing a close ratio gear package. You might want to investigate the ratios of other R200 trannies. There might be something out there in a car with less HP that will fit you.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:13 PM

thanks guys, i was worrying i didn't have everything covered, i didn't want to put it in and then realize that i could have done something else to it.
Old 12-16-2002, 01:03 AM

dude, all i can say is that all that tuning might not be necessary. i just finished swaping my automatic tranny for a 5spd. i didn't upgrade a damn thing, and it runs great. the original shifter is great on the 240, no need to upgrade that. the only two things, im gonna uprade, even though the tranny is already installed, are the cluth and fly wheel. everything else is for bragging rights and quite frankly a waste of money. the only thing that sux is that your new tranny has a lot of miles, shouldve got one with less, but hey, we all learn from our mistakes. the clutch im upgrading to is a stage 2 clutch and the fly wheel, a light one. good luck with your project. peace!
Old 12-16-2002, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

you know how it is with our 240's... we cant help but drop clutches and slide those corners.... the 240sx has a good tranny but it will wear out syncros eventually. so Drifties really has the right idea when taking any precautions he could, especially if he drives his car hard.....

drifties.......if you want quicker acceleration find a shorter final gear from another nissan.....
i'm using a gts-t ratio thats gona really help me break traction when drifting....
it's shorter then the 4.1:1 that's on the s13.
my top speed will suffer but thats what the rb25 is for.....
Old 12-16-2002, 01:11 PM

sorry, lol i shoulda posted... i sold that tranny to a local kid... i got 1500 bucks for it... which wasn't bad at all... after my mom crashed i needed the money... he dropped it in his 96 240, (he has i/h/e, 50 shot NOS) the deal is he aint ready for that bad boy at all. lol but i can ignite 3rd gear after we completed the swap... o yeah he asked me to change the ECU too. the car runs wicked tight and the shifts are crisp as hell, it would have been fun to drop into my car but i needed the dough... "supposedly" he ran a low 14 at the track which isnt too bad, i bet it's possible to grab a high 13 o well... **** happens
Old 12-23-2002, 07:46 AM

R200 is the differential, not the tranny.

I don't know what the tranny code is on our cars.

I don't believe there are any gears for the KA tranny, at least not readily available.

Nissan Motorsports might have something.

Quaiffe makes a 5spd and a 6spd dogbox, but I believe it's for SR, I could be wrong.

HKS and all the big JDM companies make SR trannies, but you might be able to put the SR internals inside a KA trans.

I've always wondered what kind of junkyard mutt tranny you could build using other nissan RWD tranny parts, but no one was ever interested.