Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

I couple of ??? about Manual Tranny

Old 05-12-2004, 05:53 PM

I couple of ??? about Manual Tranny

Okay, I need to replace the speedo sensor on my 90 S13 and bought what already from the junk yard. But I noticed that all the gear oil started to drip out when I took out of the one in the junk yard. So my questions are:

1) Is there somewhere that I can refill the tranny with oil from uptop? If so, where is it located?
2) Or do I have to drop the trany to refill it?
3) What kind of gear oil do I use?
4) Oh, I got the speedo sensor of an automatic trans, I could I still use it?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-12-2004, 08:58 PM

pull the shift lever out, fill it from there. use 80/90 gear oil or the like. I'm running that right now, and its really smooth. when you do this, pull the fill/check plug out, and fill it until oil starts running out of that, when it does, you've got enough in. then hook it all back up and go.

I'm sure someone has a cleaner method or smarter way, but thats what I did and its working beautifully.

and from what I know of other cars, the differential ratio is different from auto to manual, so the speedo sensor probably wont work. it will be off by a good bit.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:21 PM

Could I just use the gear from the manual and put it on the auto? I noticed its held on by a little horse shoe clip.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:51 PM

I would assume so... I'm doing an AT to MT swap on an 87 RX7 this summer, and thats all that has to be done with the speedometer cable, swapping the gears out. so I'd guess its the same for the 240.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:47 PM

How much gear oil should I pour in? Oh, and does anybody know a post the shows how to take out the shifter? Thanks
Old 05-13-2004, 04:25 PM

I dont know if this is FAQ or not and my internet is way too slow for me to go looking, so I'll just write it out.

invest in a good shop manual or get the FSM. it will help you immensely.

to take the shifter out, first pull the plastic pieces of the center consol off... remove the shift **** - if you still have the stock leather one, wrap a washcloth around it and then hook a channel locks or monkey wrench on it and turn it off. it should be on pretty tight.

now there will be a little rubber thing with a metal ring. attached by 4 screws. remove those, remove the rubber thing. now there is a seal on the gear shift that connects to the transmission. slide it up.

inside is a 'jesus clip' or C-clip... if you have the tool to get them out, then you already know how they work. if not, there are two small holes near the open end of the clip, get a leatherman or the tool for it and then do it. when you get the two holes to be really close to each other, pull out gently and cover your eyes - this is usually when the clip decides to come off the tool and fly around at maximum velocity - causing you to yell JESUS at the top of your lungs. hence the name.

now the shifter will just pull straight out of the top. helps to put it in neutral so it lines up easier when you put it back.

when filling it, the tranny should take around 3 to 4 quarts or liters I believe... I dont remember what units the manual used. but thats assuming its completely dry. just take the check plug out of the side and fill it until oil starts running out of that, then you're good. I used a mason jar and it took almost 4 full jars until the oil was running out of the check hole.

the oil should come to that check hole, so when oil starts to come out of it, then you've got enough in. providing the car is level.

and sorry if this is posted somewhere else.

Last edited by twofortyessex; 05-13-2004 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:27 PM

Thanks!