Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

new 240 question

Old 10-05-2005, 02:45 PM

new 240 question

i want to buy this 240 but they say the clutch slave cylinder is out. i was just wondering if this is an easy fix? also this is going to be my first stick shift so i was wondering what some terms ment like when your clutch is slipping...i don't want to sound retarded or anything i just don't know.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:53 PM

just some background on the car. it's a 90 and was abandoned on the side of the road they say the title is clear and don't understand why it was left...it's from a dealership so i'm assuming it wasn't stollen. they say that the only thing wrong is the clutch slave cylinder. what are some other things i should look for like tale tale signs that this is a bad car? i had a 91 b4 one faithful day in february 2004 when some idiot decided to hit me. that car was a disaster when i bought it but i brought it back to good condition but after a lot of trial and error. i just don't want to go threw all that again if i can prevent it so any info yall can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:42 PM
Contributing Member

clutch slave cylinder is an easy fix and it's less than $100 if you do it yourself. Clutch slipping means the car doesn't go when you give it gas, the clutch is slipping and the power is not transferring from the engine to the transmission. the clutch slave being bad can be the cause of this if it's stuck, but there can be other problems too associated with the clutch slipping. if I were you I'd go make friends with a mechanically inclined person to take with you to check out the car, run the vin # on a carfax background check, or if possible drive the car to a reputable shop for them to look over and tell you exactly what's wrong with the car.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:10 PM

i'm probably going to buy the car regardless...project. plus the car is like 200 miles away i don't know anyone that would go with me. the car is at a really good price too and the last time i sat on a car that was this cheap it was gone before i could test drive it. i can't pass up another one. i'm in the military and on base there's an auto skills center. they hire professional mechanics and have every tool you need to work on a car. the dealership said that all that was wrong with it was the slave cylinder...well that's what there mechanic said. and as far as the clutch slipping question that was just a personal question because i see the term used a lot and i never knew exactly what it meant. thanks for your help though.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:58 PM
Contributing Member

OEM replacement slave cylinder is like $20-35 and it's easily accessed under the right side of the car. It's right there on the transmission - you can't miss it... replacing it is quick too - might as well remove the clutch damper box while you're at it.

To check for clutch slipping, start the car, put the transmission in 2nd gear, pull the ebrake, and theslowly release the clutch pedal while giving it some gas. If the rpms continue to rise while you're releasing the clutch pedal (or if your left foot is already off the pedal) then your clutch is definitely slipping. If it stalls, you're in good shape.

Another way to test for slippage - go WOT in first gear, speed shift into 2nd (ro better yet, 3rd) and right after you let off the clutch the rpms should not keep rising as if you were in neutral.