Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

tranny swap wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 01:49 PM

tranny swap wiring

after readin the other posts i found about tranny swaps noone mentioned anything about the wiring .. like the harness from the tranny to the fuse box and all that.. so i'm wondering whats wrong with mine .. i took the wiring and tranny from a 89 240 sx 5spd.. and i have a 91 auto.. obviously the wire plug in to the tranny but from the side that goes to the fuse box only one plugs in.. .. so m y question is .. should i rewire it or get a wiring harness from a 5spd 91 and up to plug that in.. my swap is done if it wasnt for this so please help.. i'm dyin without a car thanks guys peace
Old 01-31-2004, 08:33 PM
Contributing Member

I haven't gotten that far yet, so I honestly don't know

FSM will save you though, thats for sure.

I'll check fa and see.

Dr.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:30 AM

i like to knoe to...
Old 02-01-2004, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

"You are now down to the last stretch wiring. Now this is another area were some people go simple some people go all out.
On S13 due to the fact its OBDI you can get away with running your auto ecu and you will not throw code.
On S14 you need to put in the 5 speed ecu because OBDII sees more things and will throw a code turning on your check engine light.
on your trans you will need to hook up your speedo speed sensor. If you are using a S14 trans in a S13 then you will have to put in the S13 manual trans speed sensor for it to read right and vice versa.
now the easiest thing to do wiring is wire up your back up lights by looking at a FSM or haynes manual and tracing the back up light wires on your auto trans and cutting that wire out of your auto trans harness which you have already removed from your engine compartment. You will also take the plug from it as you will need it to hook it into the wiring on the car. This is what I did . I did not wire up my 4&5 gear sensors.
Now some people have gone as far as completely adapting the auto harness to the manual trans with all gear sensors hooked up. There really is not a big need for this since it will not affect your smog or throw code.
The other thing is your clutch lockout switch . I did not bother with that due to the fact I would not start a manual car without my foot on the clutch anyways.
Ok in your engine compartment at the relay box by your battery you are going to find a relay that is you auto trans in park relay. This tells your car that it is in park and will allow you to start your engine. you are gonna take a wire and basically loop from one side of the relay plug wires to the other sidea and then tap it out to a ground. This will allow you to start your car with the manual trans swap. ( I will get a even more detailed bit about this procedure from my buddy Gary because he was the one that did this on my car and his)
thats its folks . this is the basics to get you going on the auto to 5 speed swap. If you want to go farther like some people have then you can do a search on the net.
"

Thats all I found so far, but like he said, FSM.

Dr.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:04 PM

man i read that a thousand times and i'm soo stupid for not thinkin what these wires are for.. thats koo though i know what i gotta do now .. good attention to detail man.. maybe i'll try that someday
Old 02-26-2004, 09:39 PM

man is my thread not here anymore...

i explained this part of the swap...

i was krunk
Old 01-15-2006, 11:12 PM

Tranny wiring OBDII Smog check issues

drnovascotia, or anyone that may know, I did the auto to manual tranny swap on my 96 S14 and everything was fine until now that I'm trying to pass smog (gotta love those smog checks ). I had my check engine light on, so I knew something was wrong due to the swap, but I hand't dealt with it till now. (I know, I could have taken care of this sooner, but I otherwise take care of my car and it runs like a champ, so I knew it had to be tranny related)

The VIR says that my car failed because it failed to complete all self OBD tests and because of a warning lamp failure. The codes it threw were Crankshaft Position Sensor A CKT malfunction and Trans Range Sensor Malfunction (P, R, N, D, L input). I figured out what was wrong with the Crankshaft positin sensor (it wasn't connected), and for the other code I connected the P, and N from the AT wiring to the Neutral position switch of the now MT. I wasn't sure if this would solve the problem but I did it anyway.

I took it back, but it is still not completing all self OBD tests. The inspector told me that sometimes cars take some time to complete all self tests and since my S14 hasn't, it's not going to pass.

Note: when I turn on my car the CEL doesn't turn on. Sometimes it will flash on and off but then it goes away. Mind you, it has only been about 4 days since I did this, but I've driven it about 30-40 miles. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the ECU. I'm not sure what year the ECU is and I don't know how to tell. Is there a way to find out? The reason I ask, is that I know an OBDI MT ECU would not work, correct? But, say IT IS an OBDI ECU, would it throw code the way mine does? Another thing, what if it is from a 95 OBDII MT ECU? Would that also not work? I read somewhere that the 95 is wired differently.

According to the guy I bought the conversion from it is a MT ECU, but I don't remember him specifying if it was from a 96. I didn't think it would matter, but I should have known better.

I know it has something to do with the ECU I'm just trying to understand it and find a solution. I found this link that explains OBDII in more detail and I'm going to try the Drive Cycle tomorrow and see if that helps.

http://www.jimbennett.net/OBDII.htm

Also, what, if any, difference does it make leaving the AT control unit connected now that it is Manual. Will this throw code if you have a MT ECU?

drnovascotia, I adressed you at first because in one of your previous posts you stated that there wasn't a need in connecting the auto harness to the manual trans because it wouldn't affect smog or throw code. Since mine did, I'm wondering what's different in my situation. Not to mention that you seem very knowledgeble about such topics.

Anyway, I know it's a lot, but if you read to the end of this post, thanks. Its Drama, but I love my car so I don't mind too much. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

aight maybe a little more in depth anyone? I tried connecting the black and white wire on the top connector and grounding it but it didn't work. Maybe i didn't do it right? I have the auto sensor, could i hard wire that to the sensor by the tranny and just plug it in?
I need answers!! lol i gottta start my car i wanna drive!
Old 05-25-2006, 11:38 AM

Re: tranny swap wiring

Originally posted by needasr20
i took the wiring and tranny from a 89 240 sx 5spd.. and i have a 91 auto.. obviously the wire plug in to the tranny but from the side that goes to the fuse box only one plugs in..
I was searching for info on manual swaps and would like someone to definitly answer some questions I have. I have read many a write up already but kind of hard to picture what needs to be done wiring wise without having the harnesses in front of you. Anyway, this is for an S13.

What stays in the car when you are done? The auto harness or the manual harness? I know the bottom plug must be jumpered using the plug from the auto harness but what about the backup lights and speed sensor? Is the speed sensor the one that bolts right up that is mentioned above? Do I leave the auto harness in and just rewire it for the backup lights?
Old 05-25-2006, 05:23 PM

i'd like to know aswell. i was told he atx ecu would work fine and to use it due to no governer. amazing how many peeps have done this, but no1 gives an in dept how to?
Old 05-25-2006, 05:56 PM

wtf?? all i plugged in my s13 was the speed sensor thats it no reverse light ( be carefull) and no 5th gear what for? 5th gear sensor is te speed sensor i was doing over a 120 on my way to MA the ecu just thinks ur in 4th gear
Old 05-26-2006, 03:39 AM
Contributing Member

Ok wiring...there are four auto harness plugs on the fuse box. 3 on the side one underneath. The one underneath has a black and a peachy-white color wire (thick ***). Permanently splice those two wires together. That will let your car start and run. On the side of the box with the 3 harness connectors, look at the second one down (grey). There should be a green with white and a green with pink dots on it (pins 3 and 8 I believe). Splice those wires into the reverse sensor on the manual tranny and you'll have reverse lights. Any questions PM me.