Drivetrain AT/MT Drivetrain discussions on the 240sx and Silvia

when do u know when ur clutch is out??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 11:53 PM

when do u know when ur clutch is out??

im thinking my clutch is out but then i really dont know. this weekend i went to sac and didnt drive my car much there. when i came back to chico (1.5-2hr drive) i noticed that my clutch was getting softer and it didnt feel the same. when i got home i didnt drive it at all. then yesterday i was going to teach my sis in law to drive stick. we went out and i started up the engine, and the clutch was even softer. it felt like i was stepping on the clutch and it was dissconnected. i tried putting it into first gear but then it wouldnt go in. i havent tried if it would go into other gears. but im thinking its my clutch thats out. but im not sure too so i just wanted to ask. thanks.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:49 AM
Contributing Member

if it's "softer" than chances are it's the clutch Master Cylinder or the slave cylinder~ if it starts slipping, then the clutch is prolly on it's way out... If I Remember Correctly...
Old 10-12-2005, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

If your clutch is gone then you won't be able to engage in gear, and if you hit the throttle then the RPM's shoot up and you don't accelerate because none of that energy is getting transfered to the wheels. Also you;ll have a nice smell in the air if your clutch is going.

Most 240's clutch's get a little bit soft after being driven for a long period of time, but it should have returned to it's normal feel after having sat for a little while.

So i think it's more likely a master cylinder problem because it doesn't sound like a slipping problem.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:15 PM

hmmm ok then. i dont think my clutch is slipping then. so i should just check my fluids and refill them to see if its the problem? ill go try it and see if thats the problem. thanks.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:09 PM

if your clutch is going out....you will still be able to shift into gear....it just seems like you have a soft pedal.....like the other replies stated....maybe the master or slave cylinders.....or a leak....your clutch will slip when you try to accerlerate if it was the clutch.....
Old 10-12-2005, 09:30 PM
Contributing Member

Funny you meantine this I had all these signs so I went and picked up an exeddy stage 2 clutch. Have pictures I will post once I find my flashdrive.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:06 PM

ok. i checked my master cylinder and there seems to be no fluid in it. so ill fill it up tomorrow with brake fluid, right? or when ever i can get a ride to a near by store that sells car fluids. thanks.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:07 AM
Contributing Member

yeah fill it with brake fluid, be careful not to spill it anywhere as the stuff can be corrosive. While you're at it, reach under the Master Cylinder with your hand to see if it's wet at all~ if it is then obviously you probably have a leak in the MC and will need to replace it. Also check the area under it a couple days after you fill it to see if any fluid has leaked out...
Old 10-13-2005, 11:58 AM

make sure you bleed your clutch system when you fill it up...don't want any air bubbles in there.....there should be a little bleeder screw on the slave cylinder...same procedure as bleeding brakes....
Old 10-13-2005, 12:02 PM

so i cant just pour in the fluid??? i have to bleed it first??? how much fluid do i need??? sorry for these noobie questions, but as u can see, i am a noobie.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:50 PM

i just replaced my master cylinder the other day. here are the steps for filling the system with fluid.

1 first poor some fluid into the m/c
2 disconnect the line from your m/c
3 connect a bleeder kit
4 have a friend pump the clutch pedel slowly untill no air bubles have to get the air out of the m/c
5 disconnect the bleeder kit and hook up the line
6 jack or raise car
7 have friend pump the clutch 10 or 20x then hold down the pedal
8 open bleeder screw on the slave cylinder for 5 or 10 sec
9 close bleeder screw
10 check m/c fluid level refill if necessary (do not let this run dry if it does you have to start over)
11 repeat steps 7-10 untill no air comes out
Old 10-13-2005, 08:51 PM

for your other questions you need some dot3 brake fluid. a little bottle will do the trick.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:25 AM

just curious if that helped you any
Old 10-20-2005, 02:40 PM

i finally got a ride to autozone last night. i got the brake fluid but they didnt have the bleeder kit. do i need the bleeder kit to bleed the clutch line? if not ill just do it like tomorrow or something.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

You don't need a bleeder kit. Without it you'll need another person or a good 'ol yardstick to push the clutch pedal down and keep it down while you're opening/closing the bleeder screw.

Quick Reply: when do u know when ur clutch is out??