Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

2jzgte swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 03:29 PM

Damn, only $4k. Why ask any questions just swap it already.
Old 09-18-2004, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

ummmmmm no the weight over the wheels its going to give you more control with them and make the rear easier to brake loose...

i dont want to go into all of it but its rare that people want a 5050 balance except when road racing or autoX... even drag races mess around with thier balance... they want a rear bias for more girp on the tires
Old 09-18-2004, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

Hey, look at the Monster garage S14 with the 2JZin it. It drifts just fine, lol.

Last edited by ArticDragon; 09-18-2004 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:43 PM

really? u kidding?? u got a webpage to this or something?? i would love to see it... im thinking i will go for the swap... its a graet deal and everything... and it looks like it wont affect the performance much... well see hehehe.. as of now... im with my automatic 95se............ need to change that!!
Old 09-18-2004, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by iNi_REALized
More reliable? eH? I think a rb26 swap would go with you a whole lot better, considering no custom work is going to have to be done. With the right parts, simply a bolt in affair. But I guess if you could get it in for 4k installed, can't really beat that.

What wiring would you use for this swap?
nah man the RB26 needs some custom work. it doesn't drop right in. the 20 and 25 do though.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:56 PM

A 2JZ is an amazing engine. I only wish it was a Nissan product.

It will NOT be as good of a drift engine as a lighter engine would be. The weight difference WILL cause "push" on turns and suspensinion WILL be an issue to deal with. If you are thinking drag racing this engine WILL be a beast for you. I will admit I am more familiar with the S13 body and the S14 may not be as big of a "push" problem as the S13 is.

We have been considering a 2JZ swap into a 1st generation Celieca, but this wouldn't be a drift vehicle at all.

Good luck. I love the 2JZ!
Old 09-18-2004, 09:59 PM

I think a rb26 swap would go with you a whole lot better, considering no custom work is going to have to be done. With the right parts, simply a bolt in affair. But I guess if you could get it in for 4k installed, can't really beat that.
?? You think the RB is a direct swap? Think again.

BTW the 2JZ is MUCH easier to get mega horsepower out of. It is capable of 1000 hp on stock internals, and the transmission for the 2JZ is exponentially better that that of the RB26.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:19 PM

thanks hung.... with you saying these good stuff about 2jz... it made me feel much better.... you definatly bang.............
Old 09-19-2004, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by gladhatter
?? You think the RB is a direct swap? Think again.

BTW the 2JZ is MUCH easier to get mega horsepower out of. It is capable of 1000 hp on stock internals, and the transmission for the 2JZ is exponentially better that that of the RB26.
I know its not a direct swap, but with everything laid out for you, since its been done so many times it's definitely not as hard. Get a mount kit, get a custom driveshaft, which mckinney sells, they'll even splice your wiring to make it a plug and play affair for 400. Get a custom downpipe to retain the twins, and aftermarket radiator. Its just like doing a h- series swap into civics, which i've been doing since highschool. And i don't know anyone that would call a h-series a custom swap.

All that is a whole lot easier, than getting mounts custom fabbed for you, along with sourcing a custom driveshaft.

BTW: The average guy doing a swap, I'm sure isn't looking to run a 1,000 hp on the street. Maybe a respectable 4-5 hundred at most, cause that's all you would really need. The availibilty of mount kits, and readily available sources that have done the swap make the RB a more logical choice, if he wasn't getting the swap done for so cheap. And any guy running 1,000 on a stock supra motor is just driving around waiting for the block to give (with enought money for a complete rebuild when it does). Besides, the headgasket would of blew long before. On top of that, you have to take in consideration the integrity of these motors, which haven't been produced since 98. Picking up a (atleast) 7 year old motor, and thinking you're going to build a 900hp terror on the stock block is unsafe, and pretty unintelligent to say the least. You don't know the history of the motor, cause the car it was in is long gone.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:26 AM

http://members.shaw.ca/kfgroup/240sx_-_2jz.htm

if you read this, you would find out that swaping a RB36 will cost around 8-9k... so there are alot of stuff needed to be done... not just an easy swap.. thats why you dont see them around often.
and according to the website, a 2jz is much more reliable in high hp as to RB26, i mean these guys been there and done that.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by oceanblue_1128
http://members.shaw.ca/kfgroup/240sx_-_2jz.htm

if you read this, you would find out that swaping a RB36 will cost around 8-9k... so there are alot of stuff needed to be done... not just an easy swap.. thats why you dont see them around often.
and according to the website, a 2jz is much more reliable in high hp as to RB26, i mean these guys been there and done that.
Realistically, if you're doing the swap like I am, its going to be around 6.5k. I got my engine for 2,900. Transmission with stock clutch for 7 hundred. Mount kit, koyo radiator, drive shaft, and downpipe for 2040 shipped. And wiring for 400.

I'm still waiting to get n1 water pump, new oil pump, dry sump, tomei head gasket kit, hks triple disc clutch, front mount, and b.o.v before install, but for the basic drop in you're looking at 6.5k.

I'm not argueing the potential of a 2jz motor, I have to say its among my favorites. I love driving my friends MKVI supra around, and would get rid of my 240 in a second if I could afford one of my own. But 4k for a 2jz is unrealisitic for most people. **** the motor itself would be like 3,500 plus shipping by its self. Thats why I was saying dropping a RB, would make more (fiscal) sense to the average joe. Cause if a RB swap is going to go around 8-9k, you better believe a 2jz will be around 12...

Last edited by iNi_REALized; 09-19-2004 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:16 AM

the engine swap is going to be performed by a trusted friend, who has done it time after time, as a matter of fact, his GS300 is 2jz powered, he got the engine and was going to hook it up in the 240, but instead i bought it, so he is offering a deal that he himself was going to recieve.. this engine swap is not going to be anything cheap, no the engine or anything, they are not going to use crap wires, messed up engine, and torn apart turbos... its just a matter of luck i guess who you meet and what deal you are offered.

you're right, if i was to do this outside of my friends circle for 4k, i would definatly be worried as hell, but the fact that it isnt like that, makes me feel much better.
Old 09-19-2004, 04:32 PM

BTW: The average guy doing a swap, I'm sure isn't looking to run a 1,000 hp on the street. Maybe a respectable 4-5 hundred at most, cause that's all you would really need. The availibilty of mount kits, and readily available sources that have done the swap make the RB a more logical choice, if he wasn't getting the swap done for so cheap. And any guy running 1,000 on a stock supra motor is just driving around waiting for the block to give (with enought money for a complete rebuild when it does). Besides, the headgasket would of blew long before. On top of that, you have to take in consideration the integrity of these motors, which haven't been produced since 98. Picking up a (atleast) 7 year old motor, and thinking you're going to build a 900hp terror on the stock block is unsafe, and pretty unintelligent to say the least. You don't know the history of the motor, cause the car it was in is long gone.
Granted...the average guy isn't going to be doing 1000 hp. I was merely pointing out POSSIBILITY. The RB aint gonna do that on stock internals. BTW the RB has been shown to be much less durable. (at least the R33 RB26...the R32 is better)
Old 09-19-2004, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by gladhatter
Granted...the average guy isn't going to be doing 1000 hp. I was merely pointing out POSSIBILITY. The RB aint gonna do that on stock internals. BTW the RB has been shown to be much less durable. (at least the R33 RB26...the R32 is better)
True, but a stock rb26 is still able to handle 700hp reliably. Either way, both motors can hold more than enough hp on stock internals. My arguement wasn't that rb motors are superior to 2jz motors, I was saying it makes more sense for someone paying full price to swap a RB motor over a supra motor because it would be cost effective, while retaining comparable durability.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:50 PM

I got a 2JZ for $600.00. That beats any RB deal I have found.

Quick Reply: 2jzgte swap questions