Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

check out this crazy azz swap!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by NightXCZ77
Well, besides the fact that AZ has a HUGE supra population with several 900hp members....it's rare to see a supra break a 10 second 1/4...not because of the driver. I've seen supra after supra 800-900hp running a 10.3-10.8 because frankly they're hogs. Supras are great cars, they weigh a ton and their powerband isn't as awesome as it should be, but they're still awesome machines. Look at your avg 900hp supra and they don't run 9's....they run 10's with good slicks. People as advanced as Ryan Woon have about 1000hp and nitrous spooled turbos, tubbed out rears and slicks bigger than the a$$ end of my 240....
Ryan woons car is under 1000hp uses 26 inch slicks which isn't that big and is not tubbed out, it's actually still considered a street car. Supras with auto trannys run in the mid/high 11's with BPU, a friend of mine in AZ with just intake exhaust and 17lbs boost ran a 12.7 in his auto supra. It's all the driver when it comes to high HP 6 speed supras, watch one of ryan woons videos and look how good of a driver he is. He runs 9's cause he can drive, his 9.6 was with out nitrous as well.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by rps13VEk
Since when was an RB "illegal" in the entire US? I mean i may be wrong, but aren't the emissions illegal, not the motor? Take into account that there are motors manufactured that claim more Horsepower than an RB motor, and are legal in the US, So I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with speed or horsepower. And i'm pretty sure its California only where it's emissions aren't legal. I've never heard of motor being illegal to put in another car either.

Its all about emissions baby, welcome to Cali
yes, the motor itself is not legal either (at least in a 240). check these out:

http://www.club240.com/forums/showth...&threadid=9434
http://www.club240.com/forums/showth...&threadid=9726
Old 03-10-2004, 03:27 AM

2JZs cost a lot because they're one of the most over-engineered pieces of automotive block to hit production in mass numbers. You know something's up when Peter Blach dynos 958 AT THE WHEELS on stock internals and Mike Carlin does something close to 960 at the wheels with an automatic transmission, again, on stock internals. They're so overengineered, that for most applications, Supra engine builders usually keep stock pistons and swap out the rods.

They don't very rarely break and it's usually when you make some horrible mistake. Bang for buck, it's at least as good as the RB26 (some say it's better) but I think the line blurs since both engines seem to be close to their limits around 500-600hp.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:20 PM

Holy **** dude! That is sad that you can't break ten but why is that, does it have positive traction? I give you props for puttin in a supra engine in a 240. Good power for drifting though. How did it fit? Mad props!
Old 03-12-2004, 03:12 PM

The 2jz motor weighs a ton though...from what I've been told it weighs in the upper 500-700lb with the 6spd tranny and the twins. Though Hp and tq can make up for some of the difference...daily driving one with that kind of weight I couldnt imagine would be very practical. I couldnt google a weight and no one really seems to know the actual weight...but its not a 3300lb car because of the wing
Old 03-13-2004, 12:11 PM

I beleave that the 10 sec thing is all in the set up. I have seen personally in japan and in videos where supras have blasted the 9second mark and they dont have over 1100hp. i live in texas now and there was a guy named whasner and he had a supra running 8's and it was street legal and he had it dyno'd at 1298hp. If you all are saying that a upper 900hp supra can't break into the 9 you are wrong. whasner had some clips of him on the street and at texas national speed way, but he did clame that he went thruogh clutches and rear ends very often. if you have seen his clips then you can see his state inspection sticker clearly...
Old 03-19-2004, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by Dounveeme
i thought it had to do with the rb engines were never used in the states meaning they were never dot approved?
if you want a legal rb engine im pretty sure i read you could get one through motoRex and pay a TON to have it "legalized".
RB engines were never designed to be used in the United States, or anywhere else for that matter. It doesn't have a lot of america-specific emissions equipment. Even if it passes smog, it'll fail visual instantly. No passing it off as a KA.

The-o-ret-ically, since imported skylines can be DOT approved and all that, it theoretically makes it possible to swap the engine in. Like wiring up an S14, I'm going to leave the details up to you to figure out.

Motorex legalizes entire cars. So does RB Motoring. They don't legalize the engines by themselves.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:47 PM

this is very true...... Motor swaps with the rb's are not legal, but some states such as texas don't do visual inspections, but you can get a car "The entire CAR" to pass,but not just the motors...
Old 03-20-2004, 04:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Dounveeme
i thought it had to do with the rb engines were never used in the states meaning they were never dot approved?
if you want a legal rb engine im pretty sure i read you could get one through motoRex and pay a TON to have it "legalized".
Imagine if someone actually got bored enough (with extra $$) to do that? Say they got a 240SX with an RB__DET "legalized"?

We could all just do RB swaps and photocopy his paperwork
Old 03-23-2004, 03:28 PM

l2aine u lookin mighty fine ...haha i love the smilies

i goin to try to get a RB legalized in my state, i m totally serious after i find out how much it is goin to cost, if it is to much, let just say i knoe some people that knoe some people that can help me pass inspection...haha

Now only if i had a car.....
Old 03-23-2004, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 93RPS13
l2aine u lookin mighty fine ...haha i love the smilies

i goin to try to get a RB legalized in my state, i m totally serious after i find out how much it is goin to cost, if it is to much, let just say i knoe some people that knoe some people that can help me pass inspection...haha

Now only if i had a car.....
UM... THATS MY GIRL WITH THE SMILES.

I'm a guy.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:15 PM

LMAO then your girl look fine....haha
Old 03-23-2004, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

Raine...isnt this like the second guy to mistake you for your girl? lol
Old 03-23-2004, 09:42 PM

i know i wa confused at 1st, but by reading your posts i figured it out, unless you are a little funny...lol... just kiddin
Old 03-23-2004, 10:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
Raine...isnt this like the second guy to mistake you for your girl? lol
seems to happen every 3 months or so LOL

BTW get this - she's looking for a 97 Kouki

Quick Reply: check out this crazy azz swap!!!!!!!!!