Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

Chevy V8 powered 240sx

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 07:56 PM

hmm . . . well, i gues i better not just take someone's word for it, a guy last week on another board was saying it was ford, so i just went along with it, not really caring anyway, and know that you mentioned that it was gm, i decided to do some reaserching, and yep, GM it is, and also they are headquartered out of Victoria, not Australia, another things that was wrong about what that guy said . . . . .
Old 01-13-2005, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

My .02 on a V8 Chevy powered 240SX....

Old 01-14-2005, 01:31 AM
Contributing Member

dollar for dollar you will never be able to beat a smallblock chevy for performance, availabilty, reliability, aftermarket options, replacement parts, or people that can help you fix them. not saying they are perfect, but I thinking "puking" on the idea of one being in any car is a little one-sided. I guess I would be viewed as a less diehard nissan fan as some, but oh-well!
Old 01-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

I'm looking at the whole picture when I add my barf smilies. The 350 by itself weighs more than an entire RB swap-yes I have weighed them. Fuel mileage will be gone and it will be very nose heavy and handle terrible. Also take a good mildly built 350 and you get what, 350-400HP tops? And that from 5.7 liters. You take this HP/Liter ratio and the 350 falls very short compared to other engines. Take the lowly Honda D15B TBI DX engine. 92HP from a 9:1 compression 1.5 Liter engine. 1 liter=approx 61 cu/in, so this Honda econo engine produces 1hp per cu/in. I won't disagree with you about the +'s you stated above, just having one in a 240SX is only going to be good for straight line drag racing, not a good daily driver or corner carver. It's also a waste of a popular , in demand, chassis. There are plenty of 2nd gen RX7's out there that weigh about the same and have blown rotary engines that can be bought for cheap even free. I leave the 350 in the tow vehicle where it belongs. If I had tons of money and a place to park 6+ cars I might consider more toy projects like a SBC something(I even have a mild built 69 350 SBC in the garage ready to go), but add up insurance for another car, the fact that you can't tow anything, haul anything, take 8 people somewhere, and that it's going to get around 15MPG and it's pretty worthless. At least with the RB20 swap I get about 300 miles on a tank and when I punch it the turbo is there to supply the go. Best of both worlds. With the price of gas up and staying there, I think forced induction is going to be the next big thing. I kinda like the barf icons sorry so many
Old 01-16-2005, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

i seriously thinka 5.0 is the best option for a v8 swp into a s chasis
Old 01-17-2005, 01:49 AM
Contributing Member

I still thinking puking is harsh. I also think you arent taking into acount proper gearing when you talk about gas mileage. I Had a HIGHLY modified vette motor in my IROC, and if I wasnt beating on it I got almost 30mpg highway. not the best, but a far cry from the fuel mileage being gone. I am not knocking RB motors at all, I have more than one, and I love them, but if I had an RB20 in and S13 and another with a 350 and I was given the same amount of money to mod both, you better believe that SBC is gonna destroy that RB in the 1/4. you also have to look at the cost of performance upgrades vs the gains. you cant beat them. and as far as the little honda motor vs a SBC, yeah the honda is more power per liter, but you throw that motor in a 2000 pound car, and a SBC in a 2000 pound car, and guess which one is gettin to the finish line first? the small block, every single time. as far as knockin it for only being good for drag racing, if you are puttin a 350 in a 240, I dont think there was ever any other intention, so it would be a good choice for a lot of reasons. I am not saying you are wrong, or dis'in you in any way. I am simply saying I just dont think you are basing your judgement on all the aspects it and it sounded more to me like you are going by what you liked and disliked. ex: I hate fords, but if someone with a stock 240 was talkin about how slow 5.0s are, I would be sure to let them know right away that on equall ground they would get there A$$ handed to them, cause thats just the way it is, regardless of what the power/liter is.
I think I might wind up starting a war, but I will be more than happy to explain myself to anyone that wants to debate me.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:14 PM

350 power

im not knocking someone idea of putting a chevy 350 in a 240 but, i personally wouldn't do it b/c im all about drifting and that would put too much weight on the front end imo.

But like other said you really can't beat a small block chevy when it comes to cost/performance. And i've seen many SBC motors putt out well over 400 hp. I found a perfectly good 4 bolt main out of a tow truck for $50 dollars, i doubt u could get a rb or sr block that cheap, just saying though.. my 2 cents.

-psileighty
Old 01-17-2005, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Yes I was assuming that you would run the V8 with the stock 4.11's which would guzzle fuel. I just don't care for the american craftsmanship that much, how sloppy everything fits on a SBC, and the fact that it's a design from the 30's that hasn't changed forever. Everybody that has ever put a intake mani on a SBC knows that it isn't going to seal without a huge bead of RTV. A thing of beauty is a Nissan or Toyota Quad Cam 32 Valve V8. I also feel that without some chassis re-enforcement the front of a 240SX is going to be pretty wiggly with that much weight up there. Now getting one of those rare Aluminum V-8's and dropping that in....then I might start drooling, but then there's that cost thing again.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:47 PM

Ok I'm gonna but my head in here.

I would love to have a 8cyl 240.

Yet the engine is cheap and very powerful.

The amount of work required to do this swap is rediculos. you cant just plop the engine in there ecu tranny and drive away.

There is massive amounts of work from drive shaft to steering almost the entire car needs to modified in someway.

I would image many upgrades in suspension and renforcement of the chassis and frame work.

IMO to much work. BUY A MUSTANG OR A CAMARO.

GREAT IDEA, TOO MUCH WORK.

I can actually see someone twisting the chassis.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:26 AM
Contributing Member

I was talking to a guy on another forum about this, and he actually had the car and did the swap himself with the help of a local shop that a buddy of his owned. They had to fab up mounts, and exhaust, and power steering bracket. and I think the stock tranny X-member was modified alot. Other than that he said it went suprisingly well. I also asked him about the weight, because that was the first thing I would think of, and most others did as well, but he said it still handled great. He did put eibachs on it and said it had some extra understeer under heavy breaking. Overall it wasnt nearly as much of a change as he thought it would be. It was a crate motor 350, with cam, intake, headers, rollerrockers, and some head work. I think he had time slips, but I cant remember what they were. I know it was nothing to laugh at unless you have a really fast car, cause at the time I had a 305 TPI in my iroc still, and I knew what the times are on that, and I woulda had my a$$ handed to me.
maybe someone can find that guy and get some pics off of him. I think he later sold the car on ebay.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:33 AM

i don't like that idea
Old 02-20-2005, 07:13 PM

I say you do what ever you want, it is your car. If it's a V8 or what ever. Personally I wouldn't put a chevy V8 in anything, a Ford V8 sounds so much better, but people have been putting chevy V8s in anything they can get there grubby little hands on since the 50s.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:39 PM

i am interested in doin a 350 swap in my 240 so if you caould send me info on it i would appreciate it
Old 05-18-2005, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

Damn I thought this thread was gone! If anyone wants to save face and get a real V8 I'm getting a quad cam Nissan V8 VQ45DE swap in my next order.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by rkcarguy
Damn I thought this thread was gone! If anyone wants to save face and get a real V8 I'm getting a quad cam Nissan V8 VQ45DE swap in my next order.
That wouldnt be too hard. As long as it will fit no engine is really "hard" to swap into any car. As long as you know what your doing. The only hard part about a swap is the ****in wiring would be a *****

Edit: How much dude Whats included?

Quick Reply: Chevy V8 powered 240sx