Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

ej25 s14?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 06:58 PM

ej25 s14?

so i was tossing around a few ideas of what i wanted to do and i thought puttin an STI engine in my s14 would be pretty badass, and i started searching around and i found next to nothing about an ej25 in an s14,

if i did do that swap i would keep it RWD

so has anyone heard anything about that kinda swap or have any experience?

its still just an idea and the more info the better
thanks!
Old 07-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member

I don't think it's been attempted. Boxer engines aren't really popular to swap in Japanese cars other than other Subarus. I can easily think of at least a dozen other motors I would consider swapping in an s-chassis before an ej. But if you really want to do it then more power to ya.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:16 PM

well yea i could think of a million different swaps, and they would probably all be easier
but just cuz noone has done it before, i think it would be a pretty awsome swap

and i was considering pros an cons
subaru boxer engines are pretty light i belive, and really easy to work on
it would be an instant ~300 hp
it would have a lower center of gravity so better handleing which what im really lookin for since im biulding my car for grip
it would have a good amount of torque
and i think there relatively cheap as well

the only pros i could really come up with is that it would be lacking in the top end
and i think the subaru engines connecting rods were kinda weak too, at least thats what i heard

so tell me what u guys think

Last edited by fadedsilvia; 07-09-2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: im probably half retarded
Old 07-10-2009, 02:37 AM
Contributing Member

it would go down as another wacky yet cool hybrid swap.. if you have the means to do so do it brother.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:56 AM

What's with everyone wanting to spend eleventy zillion dollars to be "different"? It's like, o, I swapped a Cummins Diesel into my Honda, 1000ft lbs of tork yo . . .

I'm sorry, I just don't get it
Old 07-10-2009, 11:21 PM

well i dont think it would really cost to much to be honest
not more than an rb25 swap i would say, but there has to be some reason y noone has done it yet, and im trying to find that out, but ultimately i think it would be cool

ill look up some prices an call around to see what i could get an ej25 for
and ill look up some specs to see if it would even fit under the hood lol
Old 07-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Contributing Member

well the money will come into play in the drivetrain area.. you are turning a motor and facing it in a direction that it was not enginered to go. the EJ is a rather wide engine.. however im sure the s-chassis bay could accept it. you will have to make your own mounts etc...

it will not be a walk in the park but if you are doing your own tooling you can make it happen. any motor can go into any car.... its just about dimensions and determination.

I to agree with you David, but this is what makes people ........people. They don't all like V8's and Dr Pepper..........Don't look at me like that
Old 07-11-2009, 09:41 AM

Doctor Pepper is my friend . . . .
Old 07-13-2009, 10:48 AM

i like dr pepper! lol
and if i do do this i will be doing it prolly with beyond redline, there out of Green Bay, wisconsin and the work they do is basically phenominal, i havnt had anything done with them yet but iv seen some of the supras and subarus that came from there an they are just grand peices of work

and i thought the ej25 was mounted longitudanly(<--really bad spelling), not transversly

and the width is what i was thinkin bout too, i havnt had a whole lot of time to research dimensions an what not yet but iv got a start on it ill let you guys no

and the drivetrain shouldnt be terrible, some fabrication of the tunnel, custom mounts, and a custom driveshaft, i would have to figure out were the shifter would end up, and get the speed sensors to work, im not sure if the speed sonsors are on the wheels or in the tranny though, ill have to research that as well
i would probably use the 5 speed out of a wrx instead of the sti 6 speed

like i said this is still just an idea, so bear with me
Old 07-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

you know what... what the hell was i thinking about.. sorry im thinking 4g63 bro..........

which would be a damn cool swap lol i love those motors.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:34 PM

That would be a cool and unique swap. Your best bet would be to get the dimensions and mount locations of the suby motor. Than make sure its possible. As far as them being easy to work on...I've always had a PITA time helping my buddy out with his STi. I definitely think it would be magazine worthy if you did complete it and the rest of your car is done over neatly too. Something to strive for if that's your type of thing.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:40 PM

o yea definently, if this went down, which i reallly want to do, then there would be wire tucks, repainting, and lots of cleaning up going on, im all for having the cleanest possible everything i can haha, which means i have a WAYS to go lol

a 4g63 would be a cool swap though too, i dont trust dsm's too much but i have seen a couple buschur racing dsm's with biult 4g63's and they were uber fast soo yea that would be pretty sweet
Old 07-15-2009, 03:11 PM

The attempt would be difficult.
You would have to know how to program th ecluster to ecu.
custom mounts
Custom drive shaft
Possibly the final drive dif ratio from the subaru (to get the cluster to work)
Fire wall clearance is also a hard one to pull off.
It's not that easy.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:03 PM
Contributing Member

I believe we've had this discussion a few years back on here somewhere. The conclusion was that the cost was way more than say a 2J swap would cost. While this would be a sweet swap, its just too much custom work to be done on a fair budget.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:14 PM

I don't even think it's that "sweet". I mean, it'd be pretty cool to see just because it's something that isn't done, but I mean . . .not that much power, not that much torque until you modify substantially or add boost.

-Dave

Quick Reply: ej25 s14?