Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

gear oil in the face!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 04:26 PM

Angry gear oil in the face!!!!

OK so last friday I take my car out (1996 240sx) after recently recieving a sr20 red top. Well I pull up to a stop light and realize that theres an E36 M3 pulling up next to me. Well of course I went for it when the light came down and 2 things happend... 1.) I beat the M3 by about 4 cars without a launch, and 2.) as I was pulling in 4th gear oil just started shooting out of the space that there should be a shift boot covering(converted to manual) and went all over my interior and all over me! So I get out of the car and jack it up to take a look underneath... dry as can be, not a drop of oil anywhere. But if u look down through the hole by the shifter you can see gear oil all over the top of the trans! So now over a week later it happens again! I need some answers on this problem guys so any guesses are welcome... thanks
Old 11-21-2004, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

Too much gear oil in the trans.

Step one...drain trans and fill with 1 gallon of new oil(stock capacity is 3.7L=1 gallon)

Step 2...GET THE FREAKING RUBBER BOOT.

The first time it happened I would have gotten the boot. I wouldnt have to gat a fear oil facial twice to know I dont like it.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:34 AM

good call, thats the first thing that came to mind as I read T88fd3s post. bye the way do you have pics of your car FD
Old 11-22-2004, 01:11 PM
Contributing Member

One gallon? My RB20 tranny only took 2-1/2 quarts-filled it up until it starts to drip back out the fill hole. Maybe the biggie RB25 tranny takes a gallon though? Gear oil facial sounds yummy
Old 11-22-2004, 07:00 PM

Having the trans over filled was the next area I was going to start looking into, I'll probably have it on the lift wednesday so I'll let all u know whats up when I take a look at it. I have probably hundreds of pics of my FD but I cant format the dam things so that I can post them! And I've tried everything. ANYWAYZ- Another problem is coming to my attenion... Burning OIL! Its a very weird sparatic problem; so I'll be driving along not even going into boost not burning any oil yet and then BAM! the light turns red and I come to a stop, and about after 7-10 seconds stopped and at idle, a nice plume of blue smoke starts coming out of the exhaust but then goes away after about 10-15 seconds. Then when it turns green I step on the gas and all the blue smoke goes away, even when I rev it... its fine until it comes back down to idle but then disappeares after a little bit. I checked compression, 170psi all across, checked the plugs which are brand new and there is no sign of oil being burned on them. Any ideas? Cause im thinking that it has to be the valve guide seals but then it wouldnt make sense why it goes away after i step on the gas... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

Check charge pipes for oil your turbo may be tired. Also a poorly cared for SR may have carbon built up in the turbo oil drain letting the excess leak into your intake and exhaust side.