Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

Hardbody SR/RB Swap

Old 04-12-2009, 10:36 PM

Talking Hardbody SR/RB Swap

i have been lookin into swappin to my hardbody for a long time......i dont want to build the KA i have or swap another KA to it.....i want something diff then doin the stock SOHC motor.....

so i found a place to get one of these motors:
SR20DET
RB25DET
and omg this would be **** RB26DETT(yeah def not gonna happen lol)

so i wanna know....if i go SR and do the the red top....what kind of mounts would i need to get? is there a place to get replacement mounts for the stock KA to the SR? or do i need custom? i figured custom because i tried searchin for the mounts with no luck....i might just not know where to go lol what else? i read about maybe having to do the drivetrain custom too.....i also read about possible problems wit the ECU and wire harness stuff......anyone have any clue to it?

ok now.....what if i did RB? is this too much work just to make it a badass drifter? the motor itself isnt too much money and it includes the tranny and all.......but wtf would i need for this? would i be cuttin the firewall away basically? would this take alot of custom stuff or is there a place to get parts that would fit for just a clean swap? i wouldnt think so but i cant find anything on doin this swap......

lol so many questions to get started on....not sure on how much i wanna spend but im not lookin to go super crazy......my goal is to make this a very sleeper truck to have great power and drift with.....there isnt anything like this around here so it would stand out with either motor.....do i go cheaper wit the SR and just add a bit to it or do i go for the RB and have it mostly stock?

thanks for help guys.....im lookin into this as much as i can so any help towards a shop or site that can help me would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Contributing Member

the RB will have too many fitmant issues go with the SR.

all the SR needs is some banging on the firewall to make it fit just find a nice hammer. there are guides online lots of people put SR in D31's
Old 04-13-2009, 06:38 AM

ok....yeah mines a D21 but i got ya.....i thought thats all it was....but where do i get the mounts? r they just the stock SR mounts or do i need custom? ...ive seen and heard alot about hardbody trucks wit SR swaps but i cant find anything on what i need to do it.......most of them just r pix or info on what they r runnin....sorry..i have tried searchin but i always end up wit nothin more then i already know....maybe i should just buy the damn motor and figure it out
Old 04-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

http://forums. nic o club.com/zerothread/203730
first link searching google.

take out the spaces
Old 04-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

I know that the SR and KA mounts for the 240 are exactly the same. Not sure about the truck swap though. I would vote on going with the SR and keeping the motor stock for now and put your attention to the suspension and rear end. You are going to need alot of suspension mods if your going to drift your truck.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 240smoke
I know that the SR and KA mounts for the 240 are exactly the same. Not sure about the truck swap though. I would vote on going with the SR and keeping the motor stock for now and put your attention to the suspension and rear end. You are going to need alot of suspension mods if your going to drift your truck.
lol why assume hes gona drift it? i have a 240 and dont drift

but yea i ment D21, D31 was a typo lol. my friend has one with a VG30E in it and its pretty nice. only thing taking out the tranny to do the clutch was a ***** cause the cross member dosnt come out like a 240 its welded to the chassis so you have to wiggle that **** out lmao.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Contributing Member

lol so many questions to get started on....not sure on how much i wanna spend but im not lookin to go super crazy......my goal is to make this a very sleeper truck to have great power and drift with.....

my buddy Brain Wilkerson ( Nopi Drifter) from MidAtlantic Motorsports in Maryland did it to a D21 about 4-5 years ago

rb25

they fabricated all of the parts and the motor dropped in.

Last edited by Biggamehit; 04-13-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

HAHA, Thanks biggame. I wasnt here to defend myself.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by shaban
http://forums. nic o club.com/zerothread/203730
first link searching google.

take out the spaces

haha thanks....idk wth i was searchin up then....i would type diff things and everytime it was usually the same stuff......guess i just wasnt using the right words together idk w/e...lol...thanks

and yeah i think i will do the SR and just keep it mostly stock.... ik i will have to do alot to the rear end and suspension to keep it from dyin on me.....

thanks guys....i will post wit more info once i start to get this goin....wont be anytime too sooon but i hope this summer....
Old 04-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Contributing Member

i couldnt get this from the orginal MA database as it crashed but here is the info and truck Brian build

Name:  RBTruck003.jpg
Views: 5849
Size:  147.1 KB

Name:  RBTruck004.jpg
Views: 6074
Size:  140.1 KB
Name:  RBTruck005.jpg
Views: 9689
Size:  148.4 KB

And heres a quick lil vid.
http://www.vosko.net/media/mamotorsp...ruck%20009.avi
(p.s.- thanks Vosko!)

Its 98 Nissan Frontier originally equipped with the KA. WE made some custom mounts on the frame rails that utilizes stock 240sx motor mounts. We decided to do that so he can easily upgrade to an aftermarktet Cusco or Nismo motor mount.

Modified Trans Cross member
Custom 2 pc. driveshaft.
hammered trans tunnel
all factory gauges work... though the tach isnt accurate of course

We just need to build the exhaust for it and reassemble the interior shifter area.

I personally think its pretty neat... and a blast to drive. It rips the tires and its pretty much stock except exhaust and FMIC setup.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:29 AM

wow sick......yup....i wanna do it lol.....video i found on youtube.....the first red truck is pretty sweeeet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvtezcno7Dk
Old 04-15-2009, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

That guy must have a **** load in just suspension...
Old 04-15-2009, 07:15 AM

idk what it has or anything but my god....that truck is bada$$ lol im hopin that i can get this project goin this way i can make an effort to get it out on a track to mess around.... i have never drifted besides in snow(in my truck and WRX wagon) but the more i read and learn about it the more i wanna do it....watchin formula D just gets me excited to do this lol
Old 04-15-2009, 07:21 AM

wasnt even paying attention..had no idea it was a RB swap lol thats even more awesome
Old 04-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

Damn, I watched that video and was youtube surfing for like 2 hours. I ended up watching videos about hammerhead fishing at the end. HAHA. Damn.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hardbody SR/RB Swap