Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

Just picked up my RB20DET!! Couple Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 06:50 PM

Talking Just picked up my RB20DET!! Couple Questions.

Hello everyone! I just picked up my engine/tranny today. I don't remember the last time I was this happy and excited. Anyways, here are a couple of pics:

Now my questions.

When I used to work on rotaries, there were alot of extra emissions equipment (air pump, pcv, etc.,) that we removed and blocked off with blockoff plates. What can I remove from the RB20 while its outside.

I undoubtedly should remove the fan clutch and begin an electrical fan setup. Will the 240 radiator fit? Work?

Last question, the wiring harness is, well...........cut. You may be able to see it in a pic. I know I know, Its a pain to do it with a cut harness, but I would like to see a diagram or a writeup on how. I got this setup for $900 and the actual car for $200, so far my budget is 1100 and I have the bare necessities. Im gonna need some serious help with the wiring.

I know I have a challenge and an adventure ahead of me, but I am excited about stepping up to the challenge.

Feedback and answers please!
Old 07-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Contributing Member

Should have bought a clip.......I try to educate but "cheap" always previals. You will need intercooler, piping, crossmember or mounts, and an ECU. A radiator from the R32 would be good too, it's 50% thicker. Harness looks complete as far as what you need. Yellow junkyard marking means that engine didn't pass inspection and was C-class(JDM language for doesn't pass inspection-export only). Blue/Green markings indicate A or B class ok for reuse, usually from accident or theft recovery cars etc. I'd check that engine carefully.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:21 AM

I had no idea. I already have the Ecu and air flow meter (or sensor)

Is there anything on the engine that I DON'T need, any emissions equipment that I could live without (Im in FL, so emissions is not an issue). Except for ac, I wanna leave the engine with the bare essentials to give me more working room and less hassle.

Also, where can I get an R32 radiator? And which do you recommend to make the install easier, crossmember or mounts, or both?

Sorry for falling to the dark side (cheap side) but thanks for helping me out anyways!
Old 07-14-2005, 10:35 PM
Contributing Member

that swap is going to be a *****
Old 07-14-2005, 10:36 PM

Why do you say that?
Old 07-16-2005, 03:01 PM

he's just saying that because a clip is usually good to go w/ for the rb motors, if not for the parts atleast for a reference. anyhow, ive heard great things about mckinny motor mounts which are pricey but ive heard well worth it. as for the radiator maybe try to pick up a nice aftermarket one as opposed to an older r32, but if the budget doesnt permit i would start w/ ebay or calling engine importers see if they have any extras.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

mckinney motorsports is the shiznit!!! they have anything and everything you could ever need for an rb swap. Highly recomended.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:07 PM

Thanks guys, I will most likely go with the touge mounts from mckinney, I want my engine ot drop in smoothly. Do you recommend a crossmember, mckinney mounts, or both?
Old 07-16-2005, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by Cloud7659
Thanks guys, I will most likely go with the touge mounts from mckinney, I want my engine ot drop in smoothly. Do you recommend a crossmember, mckinney mounts, or both?
1st I would start buy changing the Timming belt, Tensioner,Idler pully, water pump and the water hoses under the intakemanifold while the motor is out of the car. It will save you alot of trouble in the end. Change the Tstat too never know if the "JDM" is good or not till it's too late and you have to rip it out with the motor in the car. I have the Mckinney mounts for the RB20. Went in easy vs the Top Hats I had in the car. Your turbo might be farked too so start looking for a Saab junky yard turbo and get it rebuilt so you can make some good HP vs that stock pos turbo.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:58 PM

Timing belt and water pump are on the way, I haven't a place to get the rest of the stuff yet. I was thinking about getting a Z31 turbo dropped in.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:52 AM

Good luck on the swap, thats one of the roughest RB20's I have ever seen. Who did you get that through? Just be sure to replace or at least check everything, save you a lot of trouble in the long run. Looks like it has been exposed to the elements for a long time, coil packs are probably shot, hopefully the rest of the electronics are good.

I like motorsets, much easier, don't have to pull 2 motors. About the only thing worth getting from a clip is the radiator as long as it isn't rusted to hell.

Good luck
E
Old 08-06-2005, 07:46 AM

Thanks man, this is a pretty old post, Ive done alot to the engine. I cleaned it up and changed the timing belt and pulleys, I changed the water pump, and as Ive been taking it apart Ive noticed that it has brand new coil packs, brand new coil pack connectors, what looks like cleaned injectors, new injector plugs, a SURPRISINGLY clean oil pan, clean burning spark plugs, new oil sending sensor/plug and new o2 sensor. As well as absolutely no shaft play whatsoever on the turbon since Im guessing it was bone stock.

I know something can always go wrong but so far I haven't found it. Im planning on dropping it in today, wiring it up tommorrow and maybe starting it depending on If I can get my wiring harness or not.

I also switched out the oil filter, fuel filter from the car, spark plugs (it had hks spark plugs on it) and installed a walbro 255 in the s13. I hope everything goes well. Ill keep everyone posted.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:46 AM

Where did you get all of the miscellaneous stuff from (i.e. the belts/pullies/water pump) for the RB. I'm doing this same swap too and am just wandering how hard it is to find replacement parts for this engine.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:54 AM

phase2motortrend.com is where I got the pump, if you aks them they can get the pullies for you as well as the timing belt, everything else is just crossreferences. go to racebread.com and follow the rb20det crossreferences guide for a list of all us parts that work on the rb20. Its not as hard as most people think.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:43 AM

That is my only main concern, I mean...I'm doing the swap regardless I just needed that answered, thanks a lot Cloud.

Quick Reply: Just picked up my RB20DET!! Couple Questions.