Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

Just swapped Redtop Sr now some problems.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 03:49 AM

Just swapped Redtop Sr now some problems.

Ok, i just swapped my sr20 this weekend and have a couple of problems.

First, i followed the wiring guide from frsport.com and when i started my sr it wouldnt hold an idle. I would bog down and choke or die out. I could rev it and it would seem to run fine. But as soon as i let off the gas it would die. Now i figured this had something to do with the mafs. So i unpluged the mafs and the car idle'd fine, just a little high. It held a solid idle at like 12-1400 rpm but it was smooth. Once i gave it gas it started to spudder and wouldnt rev beyond 2500 rpm. i guess thats when i start getting into boost. Ok, does that sound like a possible bad mafs? I got this motor set from jarco.inc and already had to have them send me a new alternator.

Second, I know i should have pulled the tranny off and checked the clutch/tranny. but i was told by the fella at jarco that he was driving the car just fine a couple weeks before i got my motor. (they bought a car at auction and tore it apart) anyways, when i go to start the car, the starter will grid a couple times then it will start right up. its wierd.

And lastly, my clutch is not disengauging. I rebled it, i can see the slave cylinder pushrod moving the pivot arm, but the clutch will not disengauge.

If anyone can be any help, it would be much appreciated. thanks again.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:50 AM

The first problem is MAF

Second Problem sounds to me like the starter has either been rebuilt with the SOHC motor or the flywheel teeth are ground down.

Lastly check to make sure the Clutch fork is still in good opperating condition. SRs have a tendency to brake the shift fork pivot ball.

If thats fine then your looking at either a hydraulic issue or the pressure plate inside is FUBAR.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:12 PM

Ok, well my problems have got alot worse.

Well when i got the motor the alternator was very damaged and seized. I modified my ka alternator to work.

Ok now here is the big problems, I took another friend of mine with a s13 redtop sr mafs and tried to replace mine with it. Turns out, my mafs connector does not work with his mafs. I have a 4 pin connector and an s13 redtop is a 3 pin. So i believe i have an s14 wiring harness. Not only that, i have an E5 ecu.

Now if that sounds bad, it gets worse. I was sent a video of the motor that is supposed to be mine running and it is kinda loud. So i ran the motor for about a minute today and my friend noticed that there is alot of noise comming from the head. I noticed that my oil pressure light was on. So we took off the valve cover and there is NO OIL AT ALL ON IN THE HEAD. we have ran the motor for prolly 3-5 minutes total since putting it in. THERE IS NO OIL ON ANY OF THE CAM LOBES, NONE ON THE INSIDE OF THE VALVE COVER. It looks completely clean, i wiped the cam lobes with a clean rag and nothing came off them at all. So the head of my motor is not getting any oil and it is make all sorts of noise. I turned the motor over a few times with the valve cover off and no oil what so ever came from the oil squiters.

I am starting to wonder if the reason the starter is grinding is because the oil pump is not working.

I made sure that there was no dents in the oil pan as well.

When michael from jarco delivered the motor to my house he said that there was no warrenty on the motor because they have a vid of it running in japan. Anyways, i can post a link of the video that jarco sent me. and i will post the pictures that i took of the motor.

does anyone have any experiences with jarco?
Old 11-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

....dang man sounds like you got ripped off
Old 11-06-2007, 09:30 PM

I dont ever believe anyone when it comes to used motors. I would be contacting Jarco and asking for you money back. Unless you signed something they cant say their is no warrenty. If they fail to do anything tell them your going to Better Business Beurea and that you will spread the bad word about what they have done.

Sounds to me like you oil pump is either bad or clogged. Also you can use the E5 ECU. I did on my redtop. Also the 4 pin and 3 pin connectors are almost identical. Only difference is the 4 pin has two grounds and 3 pin has one.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:05 AM

well thats the thing. i did have to sign some papers when the engine was delivered. so i think im pretty much screwed. i have a 2600 dollar paper weight sitting in my car right now. i read that i can use a sohc mafs on my sr.

I spent the extra money to go through jarco because they are supposed to be a very reputable company. i HOPE that they will work this out.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:19 AM

You need to find that paper work and read over it, they should have given you a copy. For some reason I think they knew it was bad hence him telling you on drop off there is no warranty.

Before you do anything else to this motor you need to contact Jarco. Dont take anything apart just put it bas it was. That way if they will do something they cant throw it off on you and say you caused the damage.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by S13NismoStyle
well thats the thing. i did have to sign some papers when the engine was delivered. so i think im pretty much screwed. i have a 2600 dollar paper weight sitting in my car right now. i read that i can use a sohc mafs on my sr.

I spent the extra money to go through jarco because they are supposed to be a very reputable company. i HOPE that they will work this out.
SOHC mafs do work thats what i had for awhile
th idle is alittle choppy but nothing bad
Old 11-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Contributing Member

yea my friend bought JDM Zenki S14 head lights from jarco and the right side came with broken tabs and they said "you get what you saw in the picture" and it didnt look broken in the pic so he had to buy another one.

also you over paid like a **** for that engine man i paid $2400 for a front clip and i even got the RHD dash, cluster, power folding mirrors, jdm gum LOL also got a chuki 180sx body panels and hood in decent condition with a good motor all for $2400 also my motor has about 35K miles on it, it had like 30k when i got it
Old 11-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

mine was from RT..i paid 2600 with the LSD shipped..for the S13 clip..but, the body of mine was destroyed
Old 11-07-2007, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by TypeX180
mine was from RT..i paid 2600 with the LSD shipped..for the S13 clip..but, the body of mine was destroyed
your lucky your front clip even came with body panels
Old 11-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member

well the guys at r and t are buddies..they hooked it up

i used whatever wasn't destroyed
Old 11-08-2007, 04:04 AM

well i spoke to jarco yesterday and they redemed themselves. They are out of redtops so im getting a complete s13 blacktop swap with 35k on it. I told them that ill pick it up since they cant get it to me until saturday. They also are going to pay for my 150bucks for gas and food for driving down there. I hope they dont have any problems with the motor being slightly molested with.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

^^^ thats what im talking!!! make them pay
Old 11-08-2007, 09:22 AM

Good to hear man

Quick Reply: Just swapped Redtop Sr now some problems.