Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

miss shifted and now problems, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 11:00 PM

On the way up to the sema show in vegas, i miss shifted into a lower gear...like from 3rd gear going 80mph then accidentaly to 2nd...i just got the b&m short shifter and im not quite used to it yet. anyways, the rpms shot up to who knows what...past redline, i pulled it out of gear and kept driving a while..i noticed right away the there was a loss of power...felt like a boost leak..

now i check all the vaccum and boost lines, intercooler piping all the way up to the throttle body..i tighted all the clamps, but there is still a loss of power.. it also feels like it's hesitating when i punch the gas a bit. the weird thing is that my boost guage says the boost is there..nothing has changed with the boost..i have the guage hooked up on the vaccum line from the bov. im not even sure it thats the right spot but thats where it is..

another reason why i thought it was a boost leak is because i smell gas....my car has always ran rich..ever since i got it, but now i smell more fuel, and all the time...sometimes when i leave the car over night, then i open my door, i can smell it inside the car....the weird thing is, my turbo seems to be spooling just fine, my bov sounds fine, i didnt notice any boost leaks, my boost guage is reading the same as before, my air/fuel guage is also the same as before, but there is a loss of power, smell of fuel, and hesitation in acceleration. also, it just feels like the turbo is boosting but when i put enough load on the gas, feels like im not getting the power im supposed to be getting.

Please help me out with some suggestions/solutions..appreciate it guys.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:01 PM

I also check the fuel lines under the hood...didnt smell anything or see any leaks..at all..
Old 11-08-2004, 12:08 AM

does your engine sound funny? can u hear any kind of knocking or valve noise? i cant think of any reason a misshift would cause fuel leaks... unless say maybe you bent some valves like exhhaust valves. i would say check fuel pressure. then check compression dry test then wet test. BTW i went to semas to. really enjoyed it
Old 11-08-2004, 12:32 AM

well, i have valve clicking, but ive always had that...when i up the octane the valves quiet down,..other than that, no weird noises....when i miss shifted...i put it into gear...the rpms reved up past the redline, then i pulled it out of gear..i was thinking that all the pressure might have sprung a leak somewhere...maybe fuel leak, or boost leak...im running richer than i was..so im thinking boost leak...i will do a compression test tuesday or wednesday...i dont know how to check fuel pressure though, and i dont know the difference between wet test and dry test.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:23 PM

I didnt the same thing but my car started sounding like a v8 with loss of power...mis shifted and broke a rocker-arm. Its common when you mis-shift and overboost. If your car feels like its running on 3 cyclinders..its probably is.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:30 PM

how did you fix it and how much did it cost?
Old 11-10-2004, 06:16 AM

diff between wet and dry, run a board or chart run your compression just like you normally would write all the information down. After you've completed the test like you normally would, Pour a cap full of oil in each cyclinder, make sure to remove all plugs before you do this. Then run it a again this should make a big difference and give you a very accurate reading. Make sure the car is at WOT while you do this (Wet and Dry), it is the correct way. Any other ?'s feel free to ask
1 2 3 4
dry---- --- --- ---
wet--- --- --- ---
Old 11-10-2004, 06:17 AM

sorry my chart did not work out but you get the general idea
Old 11-10-2004, 09:38 AM

thanks man, ill do it this weekend...by the way, a couple days ago i went through and checked all the hoses again, tighten all the clamps..i found that the big vaccum hose that connects on the back of the intake manifold was unclamped..i fixed that...and now i think its running ok...it still runs a little rich but not nearly as much as before when i miss shifted..but it still feels like my car is only doing 90% of its potential...im thinking maybe its a very small leak somewhere...but i could be wrong...trying to find a leak is a pain in the ***..any suggestions?
Old 11-10-2004, 11:29 AM

I would definitly look into having your compression checked. Better to know if there is a problem. You may also want to do a intake pressure check to insure there's no hose leaks, etc.

If i was just a bit closer I'd say you should bring it in and i'd take a look, but it is a little far.

If you're thinking you're consistently running too rich you may want to look into adding at least a piggyback fuel controller. feel free to give me a call and someone here can maybe walk you through your problems and get you pointed in the right direction

Andy
SHIFTspeed.net
Power Sports, Inc
800-550-7590
Old 11-11-2004, 05:40 AM

The big vaccum hose on the back of the intake manifold should have gone to the brake booster, I'm almost positive. If so your brakes should be working better now than they were. Another good way to check compression, Do you have a boost gauge? what do you pull on vaccum? If you pull between 18-20in. of vaccum and up your rings should be good. Do you know the little trick for testing for boost leaks ? You pressurize the whole system with a air hose and a specail little fitting. You'll be able to hear any leaks. Your car does not need to be running.http://www.turbo4wd.com/ICPressureTester.html
this should help you find boost and vaccum leaks this is for a awd eclipse and dont follow his intructions just create this piece of very usefull equipment. Listen be very careful when you do this or you can damage some stuff. Put the pressure tester on the hot side of your intercooler. Make sure the air pressure is off on the hose. Hook the air hose to the pressure tester and slowly, slowly turn the air pressure on. Have a friend watch your boost gauge and make sure it stays at a safe pressure. YOUR CAR DOES NOT NEED TO BE RUNNING. Hope this helps a little more and good luck

Last edited by srslider; 11-11-2004 at 05:48 AM.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:05 AM

You may also use soapy water and spray any suspect area. This may be a lot easier. but not as thorough. Best time to check vac. on boost gauge would be get into boost in 3rd gear (or any gear that will wind a little bit)and let the car back itself down.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:19 AM

my vaccum is anywhere from 15-18
Old 11-11-2004, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by srslider
TOUR CAR DOES NOT NEED TO BE RUNNING.
i think it should be more like SHOULD NOT BE RUNNING while doing that. i can only imagine very bad bad things, if it'd even run. I told him about that idea yesterday

Any new news James?
Old 11-11-2004, 12:06 PM

well this morning, i went through with a spray bottle with soap and water. couldnt find anything..at all. i replaced about half of my vaccum and boost hoses with high quality hoses only about a week ago. also, i checked the vaccum on my boost guage. actually at idle its usually at 17-20. when im in 3rd gear and im boosting a little, then i let off the gas, vaccum is like 23 but either way, avg is 20. weird thing is, the car feels great! i dont know man, maybe theres nothing wrong, i mean if there was something wrong my car would feel like sh*t right? i think my car is running at about 90% optimal...it doesnt feel as strong as it did..also, my boost guage readys about 9.5-10psi when boosting max. i dont have a boost controller..i took it out..it should read at 8psi for an s14 sr20det right?

Quick Reply: miss shifted and now problems, please help!