Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

nOOb question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 05:21 PM

nOOb question

hey i just recently purchased a 95 240 w/the S13 conversion. it already has an upgraded clutch,greddy downpipe,and exhaust. i'm just wondering about suggestions for the next mod to do. i know i should go front mount but i would need a new cooling system(radiator,fans,etc)first. thanks
Old 08-09-2003, 11:34 PM

suspension...struts?
Old 08-10-2003, 11:59 AM

cooling fans (electric ((dual)) ) or maybe intake manifold, jun 2.2 stroker kit? i got more ideas

aim : teccabest
Old 08-11-2003, 02:32 AM

FMIC, dual fans, lower temp thermostat, greddy itake plenum. chip. do that way before u go crazy on a stroker kit
Old 08-11-2003, 02:33 AM

port and polish as well
Old 08-11-2003, 12:51 PM

what about new hotpipe and bov?
Old 08-11-2003, 02:18 PM
Contributing Member

suspention is the first and formost thing you need to do
Old 08-12-2003, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by Catharsis
suspention is the first and formost thing you need to do
I can't say that I agree... I think it depends on what condition the engine / turbo / cooling / fuel system is in currently. If you are satisfied that everything will continue to work fine for the time being, then do suspension. If you don't mind not putting any money into power upgrades for now, do suspension.

I agree that suspension (and tires) are the best ways to be happy with your car's handling though...
Old 08-12-2003, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member

Get to a track and play with it.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by StanBo
Get to a track and play with it.
This is some of the best advice I've ever received from other people. They race in Car Guys, NASA, etc, and highly recommend you spend your money on driving lessons (track time) before you spend it on parts.

This is great advice because otherwise you'll be upgrading something you cannot justify. What I mean is this: if you upgrade your suspension, you should be able to see improved lap times. This is especially pertinent if you autocross like I do.

I have a friend that is upgrading an Integra GS-R with all the usual "bling" parts. To me this is the biggest waste because he is only upgrading what other people suggest he should do, without any obvious benefit other than "OK, now I'm more cool because I have xxx."

I hope all his rambling makes sense.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by DC2R Munky
This is some of the best advice I've ever received from other people. They race in Car Guys, NASA, etc, and highly recommend you spend your money on driving lessons (track time) before you spend it on parts.

This is great advice because otherwise you'll be upgrading something you cannot justify. What I mean is this: if you upgrade your suspension, you should be able to see improved lap times. This is especially pertinent if you autocross like I do.

I have a friend that is upgrading an Integra GS-R with all the usual "bling" parts. To me this is the biggest waste because he is only upgrading what other people suggest he should do, without any obvious benefit other than "OK, now I'm more cool because I have xxx."

But I want to build a drift car!

Stock 240sx = drift car:

Peep the whole run here.

That is little Anthony aka DriftedOffRoad. He had drift in all his screenames and this was his first time doing it. It wasn't glorious until he pulled a huge drift at the end of the course.

NO SUSPENSION MODS.
NO LSD.
NO VLSD.

Just my nagging and yelling and incoragement.

Why drifting with worn tc rods sucks:

Look at how far my wheel is in the wheel well. That is unatural and ****ed up.

I have a video of myself drifting with broken suspension arms.

Please please please fix your car first. Mod later. You don't need it.

Here is a pic with a broken TC bracket:

Now the wheels is way forward. I fixed it all up now and fixed the 70 degree bent tie rods.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:19 PM

LOL i am not goin to show off my cars but i would say that if you are goin to do this for drift suspension would be next. if you are goin for drag go with the FMIC and a BOV, HKS SSQV would work real nice but both at the same time. If the turbo is not upgraded also look into that. If you are in a colder climate area the FMIC can hold off for a little bit but an aftermarket turbo, garret T3/T4 hybrid would be nice, and a Tial hybrid 35mm to 4mm hastegate with 3in down pipe. Check it out and get back at me.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by DC2R Munky

Ok i agree with the bling parts but if you are drifting once again lessons are great. If you are dragging and don't granny shift you should be straight. I have one drift and one drag, read above but I agree with this more when it comes to lessons on driftin if you are in the dark about it.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by adavib
if you are goin for drag go with the FMIC and a BOV, HKS SSQV would work real nice but both at the same time.

If you aren't dragging, sit tight for the time being...it seems like the stock 240 with no engine or suspension upgrades can drift. While not as easy as a modified car, it is still possible. Here again, seat-time before upgrades.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:11 AM

i think you should check to see what needs attention like dc said.no use in getting the biggest baddest turbo if you got a fuc*** up motor.a complete tune up is always good. oh yeah that reminds me...

Quick Reply: nOOb question