Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

Project on the horizon...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 09:10 AM

Project on the horizon...

Maybe I'm unskilled at the search function because I'm a friggin noob, but I didn't find the info I wanted, so here goes:

I am looking to start a project car and either do the SR20DET or RB25DET. I've heard it's much too difficult to do the RB26DETT/RB25DET tranny on a tight budget. I also don't know that I'd need the extra power from the RB's, since I would like the car to be capable of doing more than just dragging.

I will have the car as a daily beater / racecar, and so I don't really need things such as interior pieces or air conditioning. I would like to retain the door panels, dash, front seats, console, etc to ease daily usage initially though. This especially depends on what class of racing I may compete in someday.

Question 1: Has anyone gutted like I've described above, or to any extent? Have you noticed quantitative performance gains from the modifications, or did you just gut out of principle? Meaning, have acceleration/braking times, handling, weight distribution, etc. improved?

Question 2: Which swap should i go for based on my goals? If you need clarification on these goals, I would be happy to oblige.

Question 3: What considerations did you take into account when planning/beginning your project? What condition car did you look for?

Question 4: Has anyone bought a car from a junkyard with (or without) frame damage? What difficulties did you run into by buying a junked car?

I sincerely apologize for the enormity of material above , but I would very much appreciate some help here. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-16-2003, 05:49 AM

Cripes...no one?!?!

Too many questions, or no knowledge base to work from? Either way, kinda sad considering the amount of expertise I thought was on-tap...
Old 07-16-2003, 09:56 AM

Hey, you gotta give these things time, I'll answer a couple of your questions as best I can...as for your swap question, for your needs I would say go with the SR, it'll give you a good amount of power, and it has a lot of potential. In my car I've taken the back seats and the rear plastic things. I havent got to drive my car yet though as my rear axle is cracked, I should have a new one tomorrow and have it put on though, so I'll let you know then
Old 07-16-2003, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the response s13. I guess I'm just used to more rapid responses from other forums I visit regularly. I'll take that into account next time.

It's lookin more and more like I will get the SR engine because of the price, availability of parts, and experiential base from this forum, one other, and friends with the swapped cars.

So have you removed any of the trunk pieces? Like the carpet, spare tire, etc? And when you say the plastic pieces in the back, I assume you mean the interior panels?

If you don't mind myasking, why is your rear axle cracked? And thanks for your response.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:45 PM

Don't know about the swap but i have completely stripped my interior except roof door panels and side moldings.

carpet, dyno matting, back seats, spare, rear panels, all gone

car accelerates better but i maybe shaved off 100lbs

But i plan on doing the sr swap for the same reasons

plus i like thfact it has more torques compared to the ca and rb20

fits better than the rb series motors with less work, can't handle as much power on stock internals but i don't require alot anyway.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:40 AM

Damicci, you seem to be a kindred spirit, at least to the degree that I concur with everything you have stated and done. Thanks for your post...it was very helpful.

I think I'd like to strip mine in the same fashion, except maybe add A/C to the list. Anyone know how much weight this'll cut? I'm guessing 100-150 lbs.

I'd also have to agree with using the SR20DET...I don't think I'd need much more power either. But then again, is there such a thing as "too much power?"

I even went as far as pricing the JUN 2.2L stroker kit, just outta curiousity. That thing sells for $4800! Geez! No way I'll ever have that kinda dough to drop, at least not on a stroker kit. It's supposed to do wonders for the engine though...I think I read that in stock trim with the stroker kit and stock boost, it made well over 300. I can't remember what magazine it was, but it was a pink car in Japan.

Anyone priced sending the engine to JUN to upgrade? (Not like I'd be able to afford that either, just curious). Dreams can be evil sometimes...
Old 07-17-2003, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by DC2R Munky
Dreams can be evil sometimes...
...i know
Old 07-17-2003, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

Dreams can be evil sometimes...
don't forget expensive!
Old 07-18-2003, 05:25 AM

You guys are such post-******! Count me in too...
Old 07-18-2003, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

Old 07-18-2003, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Old 07-18-2003, 11:22 PM

eh why not?

But in all sincerity, SR is what it sounds like you should do for what you want out of the car. I would suggest getting a car that has good interior and good exhaust system, good radiator, good electrical system, and goor suspension, oh yea frame too. To comment on gutting the interior, if you want to do it, just get a car with bad interior besides what you need and that way you can get a little bit more back on what you paid for instead of wasting good money. As for when considering the swap prior to when it happens, you should look to spend at the very least 3 12 hour days or a week on the swap. I have never done one, but from what I understand about the swap it isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world. I would also say to take the hood off becuase you want the leverage to get the motor and tranny in and out as on piece. Do the electrical, computer and harness first.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:30 PM

Thanks for the response s13. I guess I'm just used to more rapid responses from other forums I visit regularly. I'll take that into account next time.

It's lookin more and more like I will get the SR engine because of the price, availability of parts, and experiential base from this forum, one other, and friends with the swapped cars.

So have you removed any of the trunk pieces? Like the carpet, spare tire, etc? And when you say the plastic pieces in the back, I assume you mean the interior panels?

If you don't mind myasking, why is your rear axle cracked? And thanks for your response.
I still have the carpet in my back, but the spare and the rear interior panels are gone. Oh, and my axle got busted when I was driving my car up a windy little hill for the first time. It was a little after winter when they put all those gay stones all over the road, and when I took the turn at the top I hit stones and my back end kicked out and I side slammed a killer curb, it was sorta my first drift experience
Old 07-21-2003, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. As of now I'll probably do the SR swap. Some people hate on it because everyone does it, but if non-conformity were a goal of mine, I wouldn't touch the 240 anyways!

And I think you are right about the sr offering as much power as I'd ever need. I don't mind doing internal things to get more power out of it in the future because I'm in good with a local shop were I can pretty much get labor for free as long as I am helping with the work (which I wanna do anyways).
Old 07-21-2003, 09:57 AM

sounds like the SR is good for your choice. not a sr fan but if you just want about 300hp max then thats the way to go.

i myself like RB's but hey that IMO.

i purchased my s13 from a nissan only junk yard. 900$

everything worked except the passenger side window regulator.
so far i have stripped all i can except carpet doorpanels and dash.

all my ac stuff is gone except the actual ac box under the dash and the control unit. i may have stripped about a 100lbs total.

i still have sound deadning in it but thats next.

alot of stuff from the bay is gone.

i'm doing a swap on it now so i cant tell you how this car handles with the weight gone.
but other s13's i've owned have had good response to weight reduction.

also i know you said you didn't really want a ca but alot of people dissmiss this motor and shouldn't. it has plenty of potential.

and parts out there for it.

anyways goodluck with the project....

Quick Reply: Project on the horizon...