Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

Rb25det-1989 240sx

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

Go to Big Bear, get it outta your system and STAY PUT!

Good luck in the land of the canucks
Old 10-23-2003, 04:21 PM

snow is sweet u drift around every corner right infront of cops and get away with it
Old 10-23-2003, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jonpowell
Go to Big Bear, get it outta your system and STAY PUT!

Good luck in the land of the canucks
yea ima visit the mountains sumtime soon to check out the freezing temps, and RS13..thats one of the many reasons i wanna move on up there
Old 10-23-2003, 11:13 PM

mountains r phat but it snows everwhere. the only problem is that cops r a bit stricker with exhaust sizing thats why i'm lookin for a full catback less than 3 inches cuz cops will pull u over and measure it but some cops are nice and they will let u off with a pic of your car. i have heard stories of cops following you for 15 mins just waiting to pull u over i gesse its the same everwhere tho
and we have no CARB regulations
Old 10-24-2003, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by RS13
mountains r phat but it snows everwhere. the only problem is that cops r a bit stricker with exhaust sizing thats why i'm lookin for a full catback less than 3 inches cuz cops will pull u over and measure it but some cops are nice and they will let u off with a pic of your car. i have heard stories of cops following you for 15 mins just waiting to pull u over i gesse its the same everwhere tho
and we have no CARB regulations
Yea some cops are dicks..they will follow u for 10-30 minutes just waiting for sumthing to pull u over. And i hate CARB regulations none of my **** is CARB
Old 10-25-2003, 12:52 AM

Holly **** dude that car is clean very very nice

New here but have been reading the forum for some time now
i have an 89 240 sx 5sp planned it for about 2yrs and half before i got it same thing as yours excepet i dont got that rb25 in it i got a ka. Ive been planning to throw a rb25 gone take me a while to get enough cash and wanted to ask u how hard was it to do it your self or did u have some helpers and how long did it take u
other then that i would like to say your car owns
Old 10-25-2003, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

The swap I did was not typical, I started the swap in April and finished October 12th(ast least that is when I started driving it). I did alot more than just swap in the motor. I did all the work besides the painting myself. I would say if you have no experience you could do the swap in 3-4 weeks, but I think I could do it now in 2 weeks.

Thanks for the compliments
Old 10-26-2003, 06:24 AM

so, over that time did you do the whole package, brakes, lsd, suspension, and other add ons?
Old 10-26-2003, 06:47 AM
Contributing Member

No, I stripped the whole engine bay, welded all the seams, painted EVERYTHING on the car a new color, fixed all the little rust spots, repaired all the dents, got rid of the antenna, and then waited for the new head once the first blew up. I had the RB in & out of the car 3 times already. Sucks to be me. Suspensiona nd lsd are for over the winter when I cant drive the car anyway so I dont have to do it all in one sitting.

I have the R33 4 piston ft caliper & rotors, Z32 2 piston rear calipers & rotors, tein suspensin and Nismo SSS LSD planned for this winter, maybe a turbo timer & boost controller also.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:18 AM

You are indeed, my hero...and if you weren't so freakin far away, I'd come and kiss your car.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:14 PM

HAHA.. Kiss the car Indeed...
Well Jon once again congratulation on the car. I've been thinking about a similar swap myself, but I've heard both that a new drive shaft is needed with mounts and I've also heard that you need nothing, it drops in and u just need the hood clearance (extension of wires if a given). So what is your input on this. I notice you said upgraded the driveshaft, but was it necessary, or just doing it so you don't have to do it later?

Also di you simply go at it, and faced any problem you ran into? You spoke about wiring diagrams, is there a way I could get my hand on these, so I could see how long I would need to extend the wires, or if it's pretty much self explanatory.

You said that" "Steering column hits turbo elbow, shifter further forward" is this only because of the rb20 tranny, ie if I get the rb25 tranny I shouldn't run into that problem? Otherwise is there a way to fix the problem, mainly the turbo elbow hitting the sterring column.. is what I fear.
Thanks. all in all I'd eventually like to find a good step by step on the swap, so that I know what to look for and what to expect when I do mine :P

ps: btw the car will be a 91-94 in case that changes anything for the drive shaft

Last edited by TeckniX; 11-05-2003 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:33 AM
Contributing Member

The wiring diagram does not show wiring LENGTHS only where the wires go.

The drive shaft WILL have to be made regardless of transmission.

The RB25 trans will sit in the same position as the RB20 trans.

Yes, I just went at it. Took everything I could off the clip, labeled it all and just started putting it together in my car. Made brackets where I had to and just dealt with it.

You do have to be a little creative when it comes to all the stuff, or know someone who is. Just gotta MAKE some stuff fit.

Steering column is a problem no matter what.

I would highly suggest McKinney's mounts because you do need to cut out the hood without them and they will fix the shifter situation and the steering situation and the hood clearance situation. If I was to do this again, I would spend the extra and get them. I may still in the future.

Where do you live? Maybe I could help if you would like. If you need any assistance, I would be glad to help.

Thanks!
Jon Powell
Old 11-06-2003, 11:31 AM

Thanks a lot, I appreciate all the help and awesome details, and also the offer to possibly come up to help me, I love all this scene for people like you Jon, willing to help others accomplish their dreams . I live in Ohio, and after I read about your problems, I figured there was most certainly a way to fix it, since the nature of us technicians, is to fix problems that we face.
I found to interesting kits, to help mount the rb25det in the 240sx.
The first one is the McKinney Motorsports kit, found at http://www.mckinneymotorsports.com/sale.php The kit comes with a motor and trans adapter and rear crossmember with new mounts for installing the RB25 motor in the 240SX. For off road use only as this swap may not be legal where you live...kit with custom driveshaft is $1150. the kit without the drive shaft is $600, which isn't bad.
Then I looked around more, and foudn this one from super tuner motorsports http://www.supertunermotorsports.com...?products_id=2
The kit includes Engine relocation plates that work with a RB crossmember, billet aluminum transmission spacer blocks that bolt to the factory locations, billet aluminum sway bar spacer blocks, adapters for either the KA or the RB A/C compressor, one of our exhaust down pipes, this bolts directly to the turbo and uses the factory gasket. It clears the steering shaft with room to spare. We also give you a complete wiring harness that is ready to plug in to your KA, and RB components. (they will need the core wirings from ur ka of course.. but not bad though) this kit resales for $695.

Now the question is which one is better.. and why? Did anyone buy any of the above kits and could relate? Thanks.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

From what I understand Supertuners kit is not ready yet. I am not too sure though. If it is what they say I would definately go with Supertuners just because the wiring comes with it. McKinney makes good stuff and I like what I have seen as to how it makes the motor sit but it is a bit more that Supertuners.

You can get the kit from www.underground-motorsports.com for $50 less. Talk to Chris over there, he is a good guy.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:00 PM

RB swap

Sweet! Its Supra hunting time, have you street raced any fast cars? Did you use an RB25, or ? How does the power response feel? I am dying to do an RB swap, but figured that the install kit is a must, guess not,huh?
Where do I go to get wiring diagram?
You are so lucky, damn I envy you,LOL!

Quick Reply: Rb25det-1989 240sx