Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

rb25det is it really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 10:12 AM

rb25det is it really worth it?

hey guys i have a s13 coupe and plenty of money for a swap, i was looking into a sr20det or a rb25det swap for my car. i have the extra money to due the rb25 swap but my question is this:

is it really worth it to do the rb25 swap over the sr swap?

with the rb swap i will due a greddy manifold, hks turbo outlet pipe, 3 inch downpipe, 3inch exhuast, front mount intercooler, hks bov, and run about 12 psi with my profect b.

with what is listed above is it really going to be worth the extra money verse a redtop sr20 with the same mods?

im not interested in the rb's wow factor when i pop the hood im only concerned with performance, i know before anyone says it the the rb weights more but i dont car, im only concerned with hp and the end result of how fast my car will be with either engine.

someone with expeirence or knowledge of this please give me some advice!
Old 04-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

if all your concerned about is the final performance, the rb has far more potential than the sr, go buy one and be happy that all your sr buddies are jealous...
Old 04-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

6>4 any day of the week.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member

If you got the coin do go RB, then I would do it. Sexy motor and if you like big numbers you can def produce it with that motor.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:55 PM
Contributing Member

300-400hp go SR.

Under 300 go KA-T.

Over 400hp go RB.

these are all safe HP, no stress on the engine whatsoever.

RB is a monster..but parts could get expensive quick..
Old 04-12-2006, 04:45 PM

Can someone who has the rb25 in their car tell me how much it cost them to get it in there and running, plus how hard was the install, Im just so sick of SR's for real, its gotten too popular....
Old 04-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by HardStyleDrift
Can someone who has the rb25 in their car tell me how much it cost them to get it in there and running, plus how hard was the install, Im just so sick of SR's for real, its gotten too popular....
its good u want to be original, but there is a reason sr's are so popular...
Old 04-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by HardStyleDrift
RB25 isnt all that hard if you have common sense & mechanical skill.

Cost is dependant on your level of build, bare minimum you could probably install a reliable RB25 for 7.5K and milk 300HP out of the fully stock motor, FMIC, exhaust & Power FC.

You wanna rock big power, price goes up exponentially.

I love the RB25, however I personally would rather have the SR20 over the RB20. Lots will disagree with me, but 2.0 is 2.0 in my opinion. 4 of everything to upgrade vs 6 sells the Sr to me REAL heavy. 50% more upgrading with the RB20.

RB26 however is a whole different world. That motor is sent from God. Set aside 10K to install that though, and that sdoing 90% of the work yourself.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:40 AM

Hey ther whats up new to forums (not to cars lol)
I have an RB25det in my 95 240. Im in love with it. Got a GT35R turbo now too (check out my profile in new comers section)
DOnt get me wrong, SR20s are great and fun engines (by the way 400 out of a SR20 is easy possible but thats with doing all the interals, where a RB25 is good for 500-550 on stock interals)
RB just has so much power potenal. PLus they sound amazing too lol. Be prepared to invest in a tire company or two though lol, the torque peaks at lie 3200rpms on stock turbo and spins tire VERY easy. We at the shop even got the stock turbo to hold 19lbs in 3rd gear and we STILL pulled fuel away lol (we didnt keep it at 19 though, just a fun experment)
If you do the swap, take ur time! DO it RIGHT, I see plenty of really crappy rb20 s13 that barely run. The wireing is tricky and get a front clip so u can use the RB crossmemeber (you can also get mount kits but its pretty much the same and it cost more to buy the kit lol) Dont do it yourself if ur the type that thinks ur a mechcanic because you put a B16 swap in ur crap hatch (not saying your are lol) Also you cant just buy a down pipe for the RB, it doesnt clear the steer arm, you need you custom fab one. Also have fun making a turbo manifold fit if you get a top mount one (which is needed if you want a big turbo)
Ah the price now. First find a GOOD shop that imports qualty motors, dont get one off ebay. Even if you do it urself, have a shop get the motor for you. Plus youll need a shop to make a down pipe unless ur can do it urself. Wiring is tricky, its better to have a shop do that, othrwise you can realy screw things up (their are harness now, I dont know how well the work, they werent around when we did our swap) You can get that donw for about 7.5k without the greddy manifold but with a SAFC (youll need one)
If you need any more help hit me up. RBs are funny and perform amazing, but take time and money to do it RIGHT. If you want something to just be able to drop in and go, do SR20
Old 04-28-2006, 02:52 PM

how's handling compare between stock, SR and RB?
Old 04-28-2006, 04:36 PM

YEAH GO RB that is what i did...cost me 2200 for the engine and will cost around 3k for install....i cant wait...will be selling my sr20 soon tho ... so keep a look out
Old 04-28-2006, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by Helghast

Under 300 go KA-T.

dude go do some research or turbo a ka and find out
Old 04-29-2006, 03:43 AM
Contributing Member

you want an RB25 email me. I can take you for a ride in an SR car and an RB25 and you will see why you will want the RB. RB25 is a monster, and not only that, but I can do it for you for about the cost of what Jon said. Its what we do here all day, it shows in the quality of the swaps, and in the smile on your face once you leave with the car. email at: LowLifeKustomz@gmail.com
Old 04-29-2006, 08:02 AM

rb has more torque than the sr torque hauls ur *** i rather have 500 tq and 300 hp thatn 500 hp 300 tq any time
Old 04-29-2006, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by chiroke
rb has more torque than the sr torque hauls ur *** i rather have 500 tq and 300 hp thatn 500 hp 300 tq any time

Buy a diesel.

Quick Reply: rb25det is it really worth it?