Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

RB26DETT engine swap and some other stuff!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 12:18 AM

Question RB26DETT engine swap and some other stuff!

I looked in the forum here, and didn't find this so I'm asking...

I have a 1990 240sx HB, I would like to drop in a RB26DETT.

Will it fit with no mods to the engine bay?

What will I have to change out? I do have a 2 1/2 inch exhuast from headers back, will that work for the Twin Turbo? I know that I will have to change the headers, from 4 out to 6 out!

I found the engine, I guess it is complete, not for sure though, but it comes with a 5spd AWD tranny, will that work for the RWD?

Will the stock wiring harness fit the RB26DETT engine?
If not where can I get the wiring conversion at? I'm not for sure if the engine comes with the wiring harness!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stuff not exactly for this forum listing:
I did this so I don't have to search over multiple forum listings to find it all!!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where can I find a Skyline conversion kit at, I've googled it for about an hour with no luck?
I want the front bumper, hood, head lights, side fenders, side skirts, rear bumper, and tail lights.

While I'm thinking of it, what is a good suspension for both drifting AND drag racing? I want to lower it 2 inches

After all engine mods, body mods, dash mods, etc...

I'm going to be installing 4 12" MTX MXS1204 subs, 2 MTX MXA8001 Amps (1600 watts each @ 2ohms), 4 Streetwires Power Caps, 0/1 gauge power wire, running to the pwr caps, and 4 gauge from pwr caps to amps, 10 gauge from amps to sub (speaker wire subistute)

Total of 3200 watts.

Anyone know where I can find a 200+ Amp altonator at for the RB26DETT at?

This install will take about 6-12 months due to the price of the amp and I will have fiberglass box.

Thanks
RB26DETT_240sx
John

Last edited by RB26DETT_240sx; 09-15-2005 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
Old 09-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

ok lets start at the top....

first off, getting an rb26dett is very expensive, im not saying you dont have money, but you better have a lot of it.

it will fit into your engine bay, but it would be like tight virgan! your exhaust will not fit, and the wiring harness for your ka will not work. you will need to upgrade you exhaust to a 3 inch from the turbos back. you can got to www.wiringspecialties.com for the harness conversion but its $450 jsut to make it work. not to mention all the stuff you have to have to make it work like, Mass Air Flow Meter, ignito chip, and the rb26 wiring harness.

the engine package that you are looking at comes with the AWD(all wheel Drive) trans, That will NOT work with RWD(rear wheel drive) you have to get a rb25det trans which is another $1000-1500. also the crossmembers for the trans to fit in your car(www.mckinneymotorsports.com) they have some parts you would need to do the swap. but again here comes the $$$$$$$

you want to do a skyline conversion....well hope you still have lots of $ beacuse you will need it. buying all that will be expensive(check ebay) you also will have to make it fit onoce you get it. body lines will not flow with the s13 to the skyline. headlight brakets and misc. hardware that you will need would probably have to be custom. tail light conversion will be expensive as well...

suspension- tien is a good idea but also expensive. decent suspension for what you are looking for is at least $1000. most tien suspension is ride hieght adjustal from 0 to 3 inches. the tien super drift is freekin sweet setup but very expensive!!!
so after all that still looks like you want to put in a stereo-GOOD LUCK FINDING ROOM FOR ALL THOSE SUBS, AMPS, AND CAPS!!!

Just an estimate of what i have typed so far. you better have atleast $15000-18000. like i said thats just an estimate. oh wait, you will have to have all this installed. so add atleast another $2000

Good lucka nd keep us updated
Old 09-15-2005, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

There are others that do wiring also.....for a little cheaper!

Click me!
Old 09-15-2005, 09:02 PM

I'd say put the price closer to $20k you cant forget that the setup will probably need tuned, and might as well replace all the seals and hoses and upgrade the radiator too. Dont forget the blinker fluid either! But like everyone has said, keep us updated. Pics would be sweet too.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:22 PM

sorry man, I changed my mind on the RB26DETT, I'm going to get the RB25DETT.

Setup should be the same as the RB26DETT, right?

I can get the RB25DETT for $2500.
and the RB26DETT for $3200.

The complete skyline conversion including, headlights, front bumper, side fenders, back bumper, tail lights, and all required hardware and wiring, for $2000.

As for the stereo, I'm going to put each sub in a corner of the hatch area, the amps are going to be stacked with 4 inches inbetween the amps, and 2 inches on the bottom amp, the 4 power caps will be seperate of the hatch area, 2 on the drivers side, and the other 2 on the passenager side, in the rear wheel wells.

The crossmember is the same thing as engine mounts, I'm thinking I'm wrong be its worth the question.

Won't I have to change the drive train also?

I heard from a guy today, that the skyline engine will have to be installed at an angle, at about or around 17 degrees. Is he right?

I will be installing everything myself, I've swapped out a 420A (95 eclipse engine) with a 4G63T (Evo 8 engine) and it worked out fine, until I blew the engine 6 months later. Too much NOS! 4 20 pound bottles, the solenoid froze open, and all bottles empty. My setup was wrong, or something!!! oh well! Talking about a newbie ricer!!! LOL

Thanks
RB26DETT_240sx
John

Last edited by RB26DETT_240sx; 09-15-2005 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:03 PM
Contributing Member

someone lied to you
Old 09-16-2005, 12:27 AM

I'm sorry.

I got an email this morning, that the company sold the last RB26DET engine (out of 25) in less than a week, at $3200 each.

Sounds like a Scam to me!! What do you think?

Thats $80k worth of engines in less than a week.

So i'm going with a different company, and getting the RB25DET, for only $2500. that includes everything needed, 5spd tranny, etc.

Thanks
RB26DETT_240sx
John
Old 09-16-2005, 04:00 AM

your going to blow it up
Old 09-16-2005, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

good luck!

like i said before, hopefully you have a big bank aco****!!!
rb25det is going to be the same things as i said before.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:51 PM

ahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahhhahhaha

yo, why you want all this tuff? you want the most powerful engine, then again, nothing to hook it up. You want to have a heavier engine, then you want to add as much weight if not more on the trunk?!?!?. you need a 200 amp alternator? for what? a light house?. you better add on that list:
Shock and struts (monthly)
gas (hourly)
windows.... take them out while they still alive
hearing aid piece: very expensive
book: Engine customization and anti rice-ing technics for dumies

Now after the flaming. you oviusly didn't search anything, you just said it so that people don't tell you to search. The first and BGUEST sticky is :RB20/5/6 FAQ, right there is the answer to all these questions. And you better off buying one of those hurracane generators to power all that in you vehicle..... and even those don't put out that much unless they are the big ones. Now somethign serius: I've heard ambulance alternators produce a lot of amps for the lights and alarms and life equipment inside, you might want to check that out.......... SEARCH

Last edited by Joel SX; 09-16-2005 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:39 PM

just get a honda and leave the forum, jk
Old 09-17-2005, 07:05 PM

did you rob a banks or did mommy and daddy give you some money. how about you get off the SKYLINE DRIFT bandwagon. because the system with all those 12" 's is going to get rid of your power to weight ratio that you went out of your way to get to, how about after the rb26dett all wheel drive swap or the rb25dett which i have never heard of that you get off of EBAY, you r 250 pound system, the suspension that you are going to waste your money on for drag racing your probable douche bag friends the drifting that you wont be doing with you ridiculous *** heavy car, buying the 200 amp alternator that doesn't exist becuse no skyline owner is an *** hat enough to buy one. while you are at it how about you buy some tire flies, some illuminating hood sqirters, a bunch of APC stickers cause they add 5 hp each, a jensen radio, some red window tint with flames, 2 1/2" exhaust with a fart can attatched, and while we are at it how about some Dubs cause thats the cool thing to do make them spinners to be pimpin, cant forget the hydraulics for chillin, It would be a shame to not have Neons everywhere too. if i am missing anything reply in please. So lesson is buy a nice kit, not ricey, turbo the KA, do an rb20 or what i have rb25, and cant forget the sr, get some cool 16" or 17" rims dont go cheap on the suspension, put in one 12, NOT 4, some exhaust and call it a day, or buy something other than a NISSAN becuase ricing them out is a crime.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:37 PM
Contributing Member

IBTL
Old 09-18-2005, 12:13 AM
Contributing Member

I am not trying to flame you, but if you dont know enough about these cars and motors to be asking the kinds of questions you are asking, then you just should stay the hell away from putting in an RB motor. I do it all day long (and all night too when things get really backed up) Doesnt matter how many questions you ask on this board or any other you will not get it done right and running the way it has the potential for without breaking things, wasting tons of time, money, and favors, and screwing up the car. If you want to do something to the car put in an SR. At this point there is so many cheap parts, info and how-to giudes that a trained monkey could put an SR in (no offense to SR guys, I love them too, the facts are its just a much easier swap)
If you still have your mind set on an RB and are close enough to my shop I can do you swap for less money than you would spend in broken or needed tools and gas running to stores for stuff. I dont know where "AZLE" is, but if its close to Philly I can help you out.
Like I said, I am not trying to flame you, but swapping from the neon motor to an evo motor is not the qualifications you need for one of these swaps, and yes I do know whats involved in those swaps from having them in here, the mounting and plumbing is a pain in the A$$, but it is not an RB swap. if you need any advice email me @ iroc_07@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: RB26DETT engine swap and some other stuff!