Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

S14 SR20DET Wiring HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 09:31 AM

S14 SR20DET Wiring HELP

Hi guys, I'm swapping an S14 SR into an S14 and I wondered if anyone knows what type of wiring mods are needed...what parts of the KA harness to cut, keep, chuck...and where to cut it, etc...

I can do the wiring without a problem, but what can stay KA and what needs to be modded with the SR is really the info I'm after.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:29 AM

nothing stays KA. you use the S14 SR20DET harness and convert it to work in the S14 chassis.

use the KA lower alt/starter harness only
Old 06-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

cool cool cool
Old 06-23-2007, 06:51 AM

I think I got a bad ECU with my clip, but since I took it out of the clip (not dangling on the motor) I am surprised that it would be bad.

The car will run if I get fuel in the cylinders, but the injectors won't pulse to keep the car running. They get power, but no pulse signal. Also, the fuel pump is not getting the ground signal from the ECU. I confirmed everything at the ECU pins so I know the wiring from the ECU to the injectors and pump are fine. All I can think it would be is a bad ECU.

Anyone have an S14 SR ECU?
Can anyone test mine?
Any other idea's??? I'm in Atlanta, GA

Thanks Guys
Old 06-23-2007, 12:12 PM

it honestly sounds to me as though the wiring was not done properly. is there power at the black/white wire on your CAS?
Old 06-23-2007, 01:39 PM

Yup, there sure is. I checked that already.

Anything else I should check?
Old 06-25-2007, 10:28 AM

sounds to me like the wiring service was done incorrectly.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:52 PM

Thanks Durdan. I have another ECU coming so I'll try it out and then see if it still acts the same. If so, I'll go over the wiring again and see what it could be. I'll post back with the news if runs, otherwise I'll list the connections I've made and see if anyone spots a mistake.

Thanks for your time and support!!!
Old 06-26-2007, 08:35 AM

no problem. lemme know how it goes
Old 06-28-2007, 02:26 PM

Well, it's not the ECU. I just got the other one today and it is doing the same thing

I'll have to go over all the connections and note what is connected to what so I can post up. Right now all I have in front of me is the old SR chassis connector.

I'll post what I have done later tonight. Thanks again for the help!
Old 07-02-2007, 08:49 AM

Fuel pump and injectors were wired wrong. It will run now, but knocks and won't idle without holding the pedal.

One thing after another...

Hopefully it is related to vacuum. Once I get everything cleaned up I'll check that and the IACV wiring. Hoping that it's not something internal.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:22 PM

i have a similar problem wiring a 96 w/ an s14. what part of the jdm harness needs to be modified besides the o2 and mass air??
Old 07-26-2007, 12:10 PM

O2 and MAF need to be entended. The entire body harness connector has to be wired up to make things work though. I have got mixed info on what is needed to connect and how to do it. I think there are a few different ways, and some wires are not absolutely necessary. I would prefer to make it as close to stock as possible though, and connect everything. Nobody has really been able to give me solid answers and to be honest, if I had to do it over I would send it out, but even then you really don't know what you are getting.

I've been too busy to work on it the last few weeks, but hopefully next weekend I will start on it again. I'll let you know what I find in the end and hopefully it will help someone else!
Old 08-01-2007, 08:48 AM

so what i sen tyou didnt work? c'mon man.. i can spell it out any easier
Old 08-02-2007, 05:30 AM

Hey Durdan, I've been in the process of buying and selling 2 other cars so I haven't got to work on the 240 lately...plus lots of rain when I do have some time to work on it which is a problem cause I move it outside to get enough room to move around the car, etc.

What you sent me looks alright, but I had that done already. I think my issue is with the IAC wiring cause there are so many black/yellow wires and I suspect my buddy connected the wrong one originally just like the start signal orange one. I want to take the harness back out so I can find the right IAC wire and hopefully that will be where the problem lies. I need to extend the MAF and boost solonoid wires anyways, and clean it all up. You paper does not sow anything about the boost solonoid wiring if I recall though...it was more basic. I prefer to connect as much as I can since I am running a close to stock setup. I'll keep you posted and appreciate all your time and help Durdan!