Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

should I do it myself

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 12:59 PM

should I do it myself

I think I am getting the SR20DET with some extra mods, electronics and so on. Should I do the install myself and have it tuned by a good shop or should I just have the shop install and tune it all?
Old 03-22-2004, 01:08 PM

Thats really more of a personal preferance. If you feel you can do the swap and are comfortable doing it, then go for it, it'll save you a decent amount of money, plus you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself. However, if you feel that you cannot complete the swap yourself then by all means take it to a shop to do it, theres no shame in that. It all really depends on if you wanna do it yourself or not. Either way, good luck with it
Old 03-22-2004, 04:05 PM
Contributing Member

The mechanical part of doing it is quite easy, the wiring part is a little tougher. If you have the time and patience, do it yourself. If not...save up for a shop to do it.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:38 PM

I am sure I can do it but the tuning I know I can't do. So would it be ok if I swapped it out and then shipped it and had it tuned?
Old 03-22-2004, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

dude you asking the same stuff in like 3 posts. Just read up and search a little more
Old 03-22-2004, 06:57 PM

How am I askingthe same thing in three posts. I have a thread about if I should paint then swap... I have a thread about pricing and I have a thread about buying a rebuilt engine. And in the thread I first asked if I should do the swap then have it tuned at a shop or have the shop do it all. They said if I can do the swap I could but they never said if it made sense for me to do a swap then have it shipped and tuned.

Before you can tell someone to search you should get your facts straight. I am a newbie to this forum but I have been on another one for years and I know how they work. We are all members and if you have a question that you can't find searching or that is not completely answered when you search then you can ask it.

This is a little offtopic so lets get back ontopic. My question still stands a few posts up.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

I feel your pain

I just read about three posts that prove otherwise.
However in the issue of fairness. I would recommend that if you know how to change oil that you do the swap yourself with some knowledgable friens for reference. The amount of knowledge you will learn about your car is huge. Also i have my car a true project if i let someone else do the work then how is it my project? Just my .02$
Old 03-22-2004, 08:06 PM

Yeah I see what you are saying and I would love to do it myself. So when a shop does the swap, do the install everything first then tune it or do they install onething at a time and tune onething at a time. If they install first then tune, I could install it then have it shipped to tune it. I just don't want to install myself without tuning it and ruin something that could have been saved if it was tuned and installed all at once. Understand? Sinec I would have to start the car and have it idle to see if anything leaks, I don't want to screw any of the electronics (boost controller, timer, safc ii) up or ruin any of the internals?
Old 03-22-2004, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

Hey slow down for a second, first get the car then get the parts then when you can touch feel touch everything ask the qeustions. there's a ton of knowledge here and i do commend your effort to get the facts first you need to have sh*t in your hands first. too many options. as far a s tuning take it slow swap the engine then test then add a part then test and so on. I see the concern if you add all oat once but trust me slow down a bit. and savor what your doing.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:24 AM

I hear ya but I just want to make sure I have very thing straight so when I do get the car and parts I know what to do so I am not sitting here with a SR at my house trying to figure out what to do with it.

Thats a good idea. Install teh engien first and see if it runs, then install the new fuel pump and see if it runs and install the custom hot pipe and see if it runs and so on. And then after installing everything and seeing if it runs then call the shop and have them tune it. I think that is what I will do. When I have the car and get closer to getting the engine I will haveto figure out in what order to install everything but that can wait. THanks
Old 03-24-2004, 06:07 PM

I just finished my swap about 4 weeks ago, and let me tell ya it felt so good to do it myself. Knowing that I put that much hp into my car is awsome. And even though I don't know a whole alot about doing a swap period it came out great. As for the wiring harness its EASY just follow the steps that Srswap.com give you and it should come out fine. Right now i'm working on fixing little bugs out and should be on the track soon to see what she runs.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:36 PM

What types of bugs you working out? Where did you get all the parts for the swap? Are you going to have it tuned?
Old 03-24-2004, 07:47 PM

I have a leak between the exhaust manifold and my turbo. Bought new gasket but still feel air coming out, I think it might be the manifold so i'm in the process of buying a new one. All my part came from HEAVY THROTTLE and Phase2motortrend. Yes i do plan on having it tuned when I get all the parts that I want on it first.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:11 PM

Did you just do the basic swap to get the engine in then you will buy the mods? I should check those sites out. Hope you fix the leak. When you get it done def. post some numbers.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:09 PM

Yeah i did the swap then started adding parts.