Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

so confused...rb or sr

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 10:32 AM

so confused...rb or sr

hey u guys....i was planning on the rb swap this summer and last summer, but now im so confused....
i dont know whether to go for rb or sr....
i have 5k to spend...i dont want to spend a penny more....
but...dude...i dunno
what can i do for 5k....i need a car good for street....mostly street, daily driver....track maybe 4 times a year...whenever i have money

well if i get RB..i would basically get....Rb25 front clip, downpipe, intake,fmic, afc, and...now that night7's rb25 mounts are questionable at this time...(rb25 not the rb20) fans, and...i think thats about 5k....no $ for ac or anything....

IF SR s14 front clip, nismo mounts, fmic more likely v mount, downpipe,fans, plus 1k to do electronics or watever(stand alone?).....

dude...im so puzzled guys....and i want this motor to last a while, so i dont want to get an old motor.
i dont think i have the money to rebuild them...

oh and...i was only planning to run this/these setups for a yr or so...untill i make some more money to have som upgrades

and i dont think anyone has ever said...i have this much money and i wanna do this or this.....well not w/ 5k...all the threaads i've read were just simply....RB or SR which is better...im asking you guys what set up is better....

just let me know what you guys think i should do....i should buy watever front clip by this weekend if i want to get the swap done

Last edited by ahnyoungboi; 06-13-2004 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:39 AM

i just want to say sorry to the moderators.....i want to post this thread in tech. engine swaps....can i move the threads myself?
Old 06-13-2004, 01:19 PM

moved to engine swaps
Old 06-13-2004, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

5K will go a long way, but this depends where you are. Mostly because of shipping if you are in the middle of nowhere. Also are you installing it yourself or having a shop do it?
Old 06-13-2004, 03:41 PM

5k wont go a long way on an rb25 swap unless you cut a lot of corners in my opinion. If you have 5k to spend go sr20 or rb20 or ka-t for that matter...
Old 06-13-2004, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

RB20 is going into mine, best bang for the buck the way I see it.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:26 AM
Contributing Member

5k is not good enough for what you want to do on the RB25...unless you got some real good hook ups! I would rather go RB20 or KA-T route
Old 06-16-2004, 01:23 PM

oh...sorry about that....im doing the swap myself...and i can get both front clips for about 2500 to 3000.......and im pretty sure my buddy will cut me a little deal
Old 06-16-2004, 06:52 PM

Contrary to what you think, there are a lot of threads with "I have this much money, what should I do?" If you had an FD, we'd tell you to get a daily driver. Everyone has "buddies." I do too. You don't want an old motor, "can't afford" a rebuild, but you want to swap engines? Wrong hobby. If you buy fuel management, you'll have to tune it and seat of the pants isn't always the best way. The setup you say you're going to run for a year is already a lot of stuff.
If you want your engine to last, make the importer start the motor up for you so you know it runs. Get a fuel pump, get new injectors, new OE gaskets, new oil/water pump, timing chain and tensioner, upgraded oil pan, oil filter relocation, oil cooler, hoses, radiator, belts (I can get you some Power Enterprise kevlar belts. 150% stronger than stock), turbo rebuild or upgraded turbo.

Actually, if you get an S15 motor, it's extremely likely it'll be in very new condition. Not only that, it'd have low km and have 280ps.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:29 PM

ok....i just stated that i dont want to rebuild my motor....but yet...all the parts that you listed are things that you need to rebuild a motor....i hope your talking about a s13 sr20 because i dont think i would need to build a motor with only 30k miles on it.
i also think that 5k is enough for an engine swap...you can't tell me that i have the wrong hobby for 5k....im not looking for some crazy race car set up...so i think 5k is suffiecent...
your also telling me to buy OEM parts along with high performance parts. y would i need high performance parts if im going to be using it as a "daily driver" or....y would i buy oem parts if im putting in high performance....shouldn't i just buy ALL performance parts?
plus a s15 front clip will run me a hell of alot more than 5k...well i mean with the install and everything.
besides...the stuff you listed, like have them start the motor, check for leaks and all that...thats common sense...i know that stuff....i know some dont, but yea....
well thanx for your help though
i appreciate it...
looking for some more opinions
Old 06-17-2004, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by ahnyoungboi
ok....i just stated that i dont want to rebuild my motor....but yet...all the parts that you listed are things that you need to rebuild a motor....i hope your talking about a s13 sr20 because i dont think i would need to build a motor with only 30k miles on it.
i also think that 5k is enough for an engine swap...you can't tell me that i have the wrong hobby for 5k....im not looking for some crazy race car set up...so i think 5k is suffiecent...
your also telling me to buy OEM parts along with high performance parts. y would i need high performance parts if im going to be using it as a "daily driver" or....y would i buy oem parts if im putting in high performance....shouldn't i just buy ALL performance parts?
plus a s15 front clip will run me a hell of alot more than 5k...well i mean with the install and everything.
besides...the stuff you listed, like have them start the motor, check for leaks and all that...thats common sense...i know that stuff....i know some dont, but yea....
well thanx for your help though
i appreciate it...
looking for some more opinions
YOu'll be lucky to get an S13 clip for 30k miles on it and that's if it comes with the origional gauge cluster still in the dash. You implied that you want a guarnateed reliable daily driver. Chances are, the motor you get will be just fine. If you shoot for blacktop motor, you'll be better off in terms of how new it is. A lot of the stuff I did list would guarantee reliability.
When I said "get these parts," the only thing that was OE that I recommended you should get is the gaskets, not including the headgasket. I never said you shouldn't get upgraded oil/water pump, and I specifically mentioned an upgraded oil pan and oil cooler. There are also parts that are OE but aftermarket companies don't make high performance versions of. Find me a performance timing chain tensioner and we'll talk. Also, sometimes, buying OE parts is cheaper.

By the way, the RB uses a timing belt. Timing belts don't last 100,000 miles like the SR timing chain. There's a couple places that sell kevlar timing belts for the RB, good for 12,000rpm. You should get an SR.