Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

SR20DET Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 07:25 PM

SR20DET Starting Problem

Greetings...

I work at a performance shop that swapped in a SR20DET into a 240SX. All was fine, car ran great, customer was happy, and drove it away... A few days later the guy parked it, and it wouldn't start. Would just crank, but not run. He eventually got it running and back to the shop, but it was running very poorly, maybe running on 2 or 3 cylinders or somthing. (I wasn't there for the swap or when he brought it in)

Anyway, now the car will not start. There is spark, fuel, injector pulse, everything indicated that this engine should run... but no dice. The spark plugs are fouled with fuel as well. (indicating fuel is injecting)

The ECU was swapped for a known good one, the Cam Angle Sensor, Ignitor, MAF Sensor, Coil's... Everything we can think of. I also checked valve timing, and CAS timing, and it looks good. (If there is a good document out there that describes it best, let me know.)

One bad thing I found while troubleshooting it today, was that all the cylinders have low compression. About 70PSI dry, and 95PSI wet. What should the optimal compression be in a stock Red Top SR20DET? I pressureized #1 at TDC and there was only leakage into the crankcase, but not alot. There was no intake or exhaust leakage that I could hear, or feel.

How do you go about pulling the trouble codes on the SR20DET? Is there a pair of lights like on the older ECU's or should the CEL light work when wired properly?

I've never done an SR20 swap yet, I'm into the old Datsun's and 300ZX's... Any info will be a help since I'm probably going to be doing them in the future.

Thanks alot, and sorry for the long post. (also, please ignore the cross-postings on the other SR20 forums.)
Old 05-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

I'm almost positive that 180 psi is normal for an SR....