Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

SR20det swap vs. RB20DET swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 02:25 PM

SR20det swap vs. RB20DET swap

Hey what's up everyone

I am new to this forum, and just trying to gather a little information. I have been reading a lot about SR20 and RB20 swaps into 89-93 240's. I am trying to figure out what exactly is needed for each swap, and to compare the cost of each. I would really like the RB20, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I like the SR20 because it swaps in so easily. I just don't want to have any problems with the swap. So far this is what I have found out:

SR20DET: 89-90 chassis needs power steering lines from a 91-93 chassis, otherwise the motor swaps directly in, uses 240sx driveshaft, etc.

RB20DET: Requires some modification. Needs a mount kit to lower the engine and move it further back (?) so it will fit. Needs custom downpipe, and probably some other stuff I don't know. Do you need to buy an RB20DET front clip to get everything you need for the swap, or can you just buy the motorset? I am kind of opposed to getting the front clip, because I have no use for any of the Skyline body panels, or anything besides the engine and trans. Also with a clip, you have to remove 2 engines instead of one. Plus, what the hell do you do with a front clip when you are finished with it?

So basically, the RB20 is cheap, but requires more 'small' things to swap it into a 240, while the SR20 is a little more $ initially, but swaps in with no problems. Please feel free to tell me your opinions, and any info you have about this!

Thanks!

Jeff
Old 02-07-2004, 02:51 PM

Hey, just do a search on this. It was just discussed a few days or so ago and probably numerous other times.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

Yea this has been covered a million times...ill still reply though

RB20 is cheaper then the SR, even for a front clip. All you need to do is swap the 240sx cross-member with the R32 crossmember, shave a little off the turbo elbow, hood and sway bar and thats it. Some clips/motor sets dont even come with the stock downpipe. It will still come out cheaper even if you have to buy a downpipe. IMO, RB20 all the way
Old 02-07-2004, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by -HyJynX-

RB20 is cheaper then the SR, even for a front clip. All you need to do is swap the 240sx cross-member with the R32 crossmember, shave a little off the turbo elbow, hood and sway bar and thats it. Some clips/motor sets dont even come with the stock downpipe. It will still come out cheaper even if you have to buy a downpipe. IMO, RB20 all the way
Old 02-07-2004, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by -HyJynX-

for the sway bar problem i heard people can clear it with the adjustable whiteline sway bars...
Old 02-07-2004, 10:35 PM

yeah i have also heard that recently froma friend who is researching the same type of swap. I forgot what forum he said he read that in tho. but is it true?
Old 02-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Contributing Member

Yea, if you upgrade sway bars to adjustable ones then you can clear the oil pan.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:29 AM

if you want the best RB 240sx related forum go to NICO or www.nissaninfiniticlub.com
Old 02-08-2004, 02:09 PM

cool . . . thanks for the replies everyone. i did do a search (i'm all about searching), but i was still confused as to exactly what is needed for an RB20det swap.

so basically what i am hearing is that you need custom motor mounts, a downpipe, R32 crossmember, and adjustable sway bars? does the stock ka24de drive shaft bolt up ok? i have heard several different things about this, and i'm not sure which is right. i have looked at several different sites, and it looks like an rb20det motor set is about $1800. is there anything else besides the crossmember that you would need from a front clip? i'm asking because i don't really want a clip unless it's absolutely necessary.

when you talk about shaving the turbo elbow and the hood, is this complicated? i kind of don't like the idea of cutting or shaving anything to make something else fit . . . it doesn't seem like a good idea really. anyone else have any relevant info or opinions? the help is appreciated!
Old 02-08-2004, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by JeffSchmitt
cool . . . thanks for the replies everyone. i did do a search (i'm all about searching), but i was still confused as to exactly what is needed for an RB20det swap.

so basically what i am hearing is that you need custom motor mounts, a downpipe, R32 crossmember, and adjustable sway bars? does the stock ka24de drive shaft bolt up ok? i have heard several different things about this, and i'm not sure which is right. i have looked at several different sites, and it looks like an rb20det motor set is about $1800. is there anything else besides the crossmember that you would need from a front clip? i'm asking because i don't really want a clip unless it's absolutely necessary.

when you talk about shaving the turbo elbow and the hood, is this complicated? i kind of don't like the idea of cutting or shaving anything to make something else fit . . . it doesn't seem like a good idea really. anyone else have any relevant info or opinions? the help is appreciated!
You kinda got it mixed up..You can either get custom mounts, OR do the R32 X-member swap and adjustable sway bar. The stock driveshaft does bolt right up. As for the front clip...the complete wiring, some come with a gauge cluster. Luckily i got the skyline brakes, so that can be a plus. The shaving of the turbo elbow and hood is not hard at all, get a little drimmel and shave a little off. As for the hood, it will be best to cut some of the hood skeleton off. Its only a little. I think its well worth it.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:10 PM
Contributing Member

not to mention the RB helps the S13 not understeer as bad.
and although you have the same displacement, the RB is a "safer" platform to go with you wana make reliable power.
not that the SR is unworthy.
but it is a better platform.

i bought a RB20 clip last week
Old 02-09-2004, 12:43 PM

i gettin my car some time by the end of this summer
Old 02-09-2004, 05:01 PM

What horse power and torque capabilities......i think i might wana do a RB26DETT (cept it is about 5,000 bucks)
Old 02-09-2004, 06:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by SPEEDRlCER
What horse power and torque capabilities......i think i might wana do a RB26DETT (cept it is about 5,000 bucks)
Search, google is your friend
Old 02-10-2004, 07:33 PM

Would a carbon fiber hood eliminate the need for cutting the hood? not that i would cut a carbon fiber hood or anything . . . obviously you can't. the part of the rb20det that hits the hood is that pipe that crosses over the valve cover and goes to the intake manifold, i'm guessing. is this correct?

Quick Reply: SR20det swap vs. RB20DET swap