Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

sr20det vtc VS. sr20det w/o vtc

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 10:25 PM
LK0

Lightbulb sr20det vtc VS. sr20det w/o vtc

Well first off I will say hello, this is my first post. Now down to business.

I recently purchased a 1993 240sx (s13). I have been playing with Hondas for a while and have decided to move on. I have been reading everything I can find on the internet about the sr20det and have learned a lot but I still have a few questions so here we go:

1. I want to swap in a sr20det VTC out of an s14. Does this motor have more potential than a red top or black top out of an s13? or is the only benefit of getting this motor is that it is newer and most likely has less miles? I do not plan on leaving the motor stock for long.

2. What is the best way to go about purchasing a swap? I have talked with a few companies and am debating weather to get a front cut or a "complete swap"? I am a serious buyer and if any one can direct me to a company with a good reputation I would appreciate it.

3. I dont like the way the usdm s13 looks. Where can I get the silvia body pannels/hood/lights/grill etc?

I can search the internet all day and find a lot of this stuff for sale, but I would like to get some feedback on some of these companies. I am new to the Nissan world and would appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you and I hope to be a helpful member to your message board as soon as I get this project started I will do a write up on it or something.

Justin
Old 04-11-2004, 11:32 PM

I also wondered if the s14 sr20det with VTC is worth getting as opposed to getting an s13 sr20, so I'm quite anxious what people have to say about it.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member

It's said that the S13 Redtop has the most potential because of it's intake and intake ports but is choked by the T25 Turbo. Now I am a vendor and sell this stuff, but I will give my opinion on the facts. The VTI version only made another 15HP and for their rarity and price I don't think it's worth getting, also the 15HP more I think is due to the T28 not the VTI. The S13 has the potential for around 400HP with a turbo upgrade on stock internals. Clip or engine set? I would go with the clip-you will pay more in the end(time and $$$) getting a engine set then picking up all the extra pieces you didn't know you needed while your car sits not running. As for where to get a clip I can't help at this time-we're out of stock. Had 4 on friday-saturday the last one left. The JDM importer world is not that big, if you find a Engine Set or Clip FS let me know who/where and I'll give you a unbiased opinion. Typically Engine Sets get beat in shipping and parts like cam sensor, throttle body, ign chip, etc, may be broken. A clip will set you up, you'll get the intercooler, piping, full wiring, ecu, radiator, and all the little hoses and hardware like mounts that may be missing otherwise. You can also see how everything is hooked up before taking the clip apart. I'm going to be doing this swap into my car soon, and even being a importer I will still be using a clip and not a engine set for my swap.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:32 PM
Contributing Member

That makes a lot of sense Rk guess the motorset idea is out the window. Now does it make a difference on which you get if you have the importer install the engine. Cuz i can order the motor and get it installed for about 3300. Seems pretty much about the same as ordering it then shipping then install.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member

Thats pretty good on price, they both go in just the VTI version has a few more wires. That barney thing is disgusting
Old 04-12-2004, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

HAHAHA
Old 04-14-2004, 06:18 AM
LK0

Sounds good. Well hit me up when you get a s13 silvia front clip in stock with low miles.

jhinze@student.gsu.edu