Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

Why should you swap ur KA24DET?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 07:01 AM

Why should you swap ur KA24DET?

Why are people swapping their KA24DET's....there pretty good right...
Old 11-18-2003, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Why should you swap ur KA24DET?

Originally posted by NOS_is_4_cheat
Why are people swapping their KA24DET's....there pretty good right...
can u rephrase the question? are u asking why people swap their KA24E's and KA24DE's for Japanese motors? or are u asking why people who turbo their KA24's (thus making them KA24ET's and KA24DET's, respectively) swap them for JDM motors afterwards? or are u asking why people swap for JDM's if they can make good power by turboing (i know, not a word ) their stock ones? what's the question?
Old 11-18-2003, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

Usually people swap their KA's because they are too lazy to build them or buy into the lie that they can't be built, when, in reality, most KA's can be built to higher hp faster and cheaper than their often swapped engine the SR20DET. It's all about being a part of the group in some ways "everyone else is swapping a SR". Every time I go out, people ask me what I have in my 240SX...I say the stock engine, and EVERY TIME I am asked "you gonna put a SR20 in there?" It's just a standard that everyone and their brother has come to believe. My KA currently runs faster than any stock SR I've ever raced...and my KA is NA, not turbo. If you want some ungodly HP, convert to a RB25 or RB26 engine.....

Night
Old 11-18-2003, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

lol, looks like you touched a soft spot on NightXCZ77.
He is completly correct, people would rather throw out their high mileage KA for a lower mile already turbo engine that will pop right in. There are pro's and cons to each. KA for example has more displacement if you turbo'd it, and had an iron block, whereas the SR's is aluminium. There is a NA s13 running 13's in the 1/4, I haven't seen it but know it's possible.
If I knew how i'd love to build my KA, not even a need for a KAT if you build the KA right, although a KAT is ARGUEABLY just as good if not better than a SR.

Dr.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:29 PM

stock sr's arent hard at all to beat...though iam probably going to guess the stock sr's you raced probably sucked at driving... stock everything and some everyday street tires + good lauch you can see a mid to high 14... so what do you have done to your ka???

as for rb series motors... i will say this again as i say in any other nissan forums... better have some $$$ and patience...

as for people swapping in sr's rather than keeping their ka.... the sr is a great foundation for an awesome fast car...whats better than upgrading a turbo on an sr, because the sr was manufactures stock with a turbo and was made for it!!!!

i guess our sr's here are different from your guy's... let me know when the place Secret Services comes across yuor mind... you will think twice if you ever had the decision of either building kadet or sr...

how does 539rwhp on stock bottom end of sr sound for your "ungodly hp" ???
Old 11-18-2003, 02:08 PM

LMAO at Jonas....tell him wassup brotha
Old 11-18-2003, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by Judge
LMAO at Jonas....tell him wassup brotha
ok
Old 11-18-2003, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

as for rb series motors... i will say this again as i say in any other nissan forums... better have some $$$ and patience...

how does 539rwhp on stock bottom end of sr sound for your "ungodly hp" ???

That's not ungodly, ungodly is 800+. I would say that 539 RWHP is good, although the engine is only going to last you about a week running it that high every day. I've seen RB20's go just as high on stock bottom ends.

I've never heard of the company "Secret Services" only company I have heard of like that is Top Secret of Japan. I would much rather build a KA24DET than a SR engine (more displacement, irong block, built for a turbo - yes, made for it from the factory) you can't go wrong...it's just that there's not as much info and building of it as the infamous SR that you see everywhere.

The SR is a good foundation, not a great one. It starts off at about 165 rwhp stock (KA ranges from 145-150 from dynos I have seen and done). That's 15 less hp than it's "superior" (in the eyes of others) SR20DET. Add the aluminum block that has to be sleeved, a weak head design, etc... to the SR and you'll see why it's not exactly a GREAT foundation. Sure, you can make power with it just like Honda guys can pull power out of an H22...doesn't make it an awesome engine, it just means that you threw a ****load of money at it.

As for RB Motors - you are talking to the person who did the first running RB25DET in the US as posted online. It is not a huge hassle, does not require a lot of patience, and is far cheaper to build than the SR20DET. Displacement, iron block, inline six, and built for turbo crushes the puny sister 4 cylinder. I would take a CA over the SR any day as well. With less than $3k in parts, I have a RB25 with over 400RWHP...seen many a person spend about $8k-$12k on their SR's to reach that number.

Not everyone that drives a stock SR sucks at driving...you're right, they run between a 14.5 and 14.8 stock, generally speaking. What is done to my KA right now is secret (like that company you mentioned). It's simple things that cost me less than $500 that I took off of other 240's I have. It's easy as hell to push a 91 KA engine into the 14's NA....My goal is to hit a high 13 without touching internals, which I believe can be done (without using NOS)...

Night
Old 11-18-2003, 10:24 PM

maybe i've missed something somewhere, but the S13 SR's come with high flow heads. the KA's didn't benefit from a high flow design and end up becoming choked in the high rev range.

As for my reasons for liking the SR over the KA. i prefer an engine that was built to be turbocharged from the factory. It saves me time and money down the road. The less I have to spend on building a bottom end, the happier I am. I could have easily built and turboed a high mileage KA, but I opted for a lower mileage SR. I admit, I enjoy the rarity factor. I'm the only SR convertable that I know of. I'm also one of very few SR running 240's in my area. I know of others that exist, but have yet to meet them.

The KA is a very good and strong engine, but I feel more confident in the SR's bottom end.

Now comparing an RB to the KA or the SR isn't very fair. the RB was intended to be nissan's best engine when it was first conceived. The KA and SR just aren't beefy enough to hold up to the RB, stock bottom to stock bottom.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:12 AM
Contributing Member

The KA's have Oil squirters and a good sized Oil pump...iron blocks are meant to be turbocharged....why do people think it didn't come from the factory ready to be turboed? It is easy and cheap to make the KA head flow well (SR head is weak, not flow wise).

Pistons - $500
Rods - $700
Balancing - $200
Valves - $320
Springs and Retainers - $320
Cams - $350

BOOOST - However high you want to go....you just built your KA bottom end for less than the SR engine costs. Build the SR bottom end with the sleeves etc... and you are way higher priced.

Just cause your the first person in your area to have a SR does not make you out of the norm...it means you follow the norm, but there aren't a lot of people in your area with 240's that have money to spend on engines. The KA can compete with the RB...especially the RB20. Don't take my word for anything, I don't know **** about Nissan engines, just been building them and ripping em apart for years.

Night
Old 11-19-2003, 12:26 AM
Contributing Member

Lemme put my own 2 cents in this mix.

I think one of the main reasons people dont want to rebuild there KA is the hassle of doing it..in my mind its a lot easier just to swap in the SR and is the easy way to get more power for the 240...the smartest way? That all up to the person. The KA does have lots of potential..its just a lil harder of a route. You are rebuilding a engine..and that is no easy task. I dont think that came out right at all...but its getting late.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:17 AM

Ok....nevermind what i said the first time... ...ok...can you put a sr20det in a all stock 240 with out buying anything extra....like tranny....rear end and all that good stuff..? b/c im thinking about getting one...

Old 11-19-2003, 07:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by NOS_is_4_cheat
Ok....nevermind what i said the first time... ...ok...can you put a sr20det in a all stock 240 with out buying anything extra....like tranny....rear end and all that good stuff..? b/c im thinking about getting one...

u will need the SR tranny too, unless u wanna replace the bell housing on the KA tranny so it bolts up...
Old 11-19-2003, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Yes its possible. A front clip will get ya just about everything you need
Old 11-19-2003, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

On december 8th, I will have 5 SR20DET front clips! We have one SR20DET Black top motorset right now that we've been trying to sell forever as well....guess no one likes the SR's or it should have been gone a long time ago.

Night

Quick Reply: Why should you swap ur KA24DET?