Engine Swaps Discussion about motor swaps ONLY.

would this make an SR20DET or RB20DET legal in our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 09:32 AM

would this make an SR20DET or RB20DET legal in our cars?

wouldnt this work ? i mean if you can get an sr20det to pass smog it should work right? its like scc mag did the 240 silvia swap they bought a whole silvia front clip n swaped it all over. wouldnt that work out right? if not please explain.

http://smogcheck.ca.gov/STDPAGE.ASP...ES-JAN_1994.HTM

" Engine Replacement and Rebuilding Guidelines

Overview
Engine changes continue to present problems and challenges to car owners and technicians. Here are some tips to keep you and your customers on the straight and narrow.

Our recommendation is to rebuild and reinstall the original engine, transmission, and emission control configuration.

When rebuilding an engine, it must be rebuilt to the original equipment specifications. However, if you do decide to change the engine, these guidelines must be observed to ensure that the vehicle will be eligible for smog certification or registration.

Remember, these are guidelines for performing engine changes -- not certification procedures. All exhaust emission controlled vehicles with engine changes must be inspected by an official referee station and must have a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Vehicle Identification Label affixed to the doorpost.

Remember also, state and federal anti-tampering laws generally prohibit any modification to the vehicle's original emission control system configuration as certified by the manufacturer. And, Section 3362.1 of the California Code of Regulations prohibits any engine change that degrades the effectiveness of a vehicle's emission control system.

California Certification
A federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) certified (federal or 49-state) engine cannot be used in a vehicle that was originally certified for California.

Certification Standards
Make sure the engine and emission control configuration on exhaust - controlled vehicles are certified to the year of the vehicle or newer, and to the same or a more stringent new vehicle certification standard.

Classification
Don't mix engine and vehicle classifications which will degrade the emissions certification standards. For example, a heavy-duty engine cannot be installed in a light-duty exhaust-controlled chassis even if they have the same displacement. Non-emissions controlled power plants such as industrial or off-road-use-only engines may not be placed in any exhaust-controlled vehicle.

Computer Controls
If a computer-controlled engine is installed in a non-computerized vehicle, the "CHECK ENGINE" light, the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) diagnostic link, and all sensors, switches, and wiring harnesses needed to make the system fully functional must also be installed.

Emission Control Configuration
Mixing and matching emission control system components could cause problems and is generally not allowed. Engine and emission control systems must be in an engine-chassis configuration certified by the California Air Resources Board (ARB) or U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The engine must meet or exceed the requirements for the year and class of vehicle in which it is installed.

Emission Warranty
Voiding the vehicle manufacturer's emission warranty is not allowed.

Engine Modifications
No internal or external engine modifications (cams, pistons, intakes, etc.) may be performed unless the parts are ARB-exempted or EPA-certified for use in the installed engine. Use the database on this site to search for aftermarket parts covered by ARB Executive Orders.

Original Equipment
The installed engine and host chassis must retain all of their original emission control equipment. Diesel-to-gasoline conversions must have all gasoline engine and chassis emission control systems installed (such as fillpipe restrictor, catalytic converter and evaporative emission system).

Smog Inspection
These vehicles must pass a complete smog inspection (visual, functional, and tailpipe)."
Old 09-14-2003, 08:56 PM

anybody?

anybody?
Old 09-15-2003, 11:39 AM

Even if you swap in from an entire front clip it still will not be legal. I'm pretty sure that its the fact that it can't pass the emissions test and the fact that the engine was never made here could have something to do with it, I'm not totally sure though
Old 09-15-2003, 11:04 PM

?

the reason i said the thing about the front clip is cuz then you could for sure swap all the parts needed for smog, just a thought.
so there is no way to get an sr20det to pass smog?has anyone ever tried to smog one just to see if it would pass and has anyone ever gotten one to pass smog?
i wouldnt think it would matter if the engine was produced here and used here in production cars or not as long as it could pass smog i dont see why you couldnt legaly do the swap.
just my thoughts.

josh
Old 09-15-2003, 11:12 PM

The thing is that, I think, is that Japans emissions laws are different than here, and if that it passes there it may not pass here
Old 09-16-2003, 02:54 PM

Do a search. Not in a mean way, but I have read of people getting SR20's to pass without bribing someone. I never really researched it because 1) I live in a state that doesnt do inspections. Some people on this board venture to say it is impossible but I beg to differ, but I dotn feel like diggign through thread after thread after thread for information that wont be beneficial to me
Old 09-16-2003, 08:39 PM

to s13 240: yea your could be very right. but from my understanding their (japan's) emisions from what i understand is more strict then ours. so who knows?

to spec_v: i have also read that people have gotten them to pass without paying a lil extra on the side. im just trying to get some info for myself and for the others on this site that the swap indeed isnt illegal or atleast thats what im trying to find out.

main reason i ask if i could do this to make it legal is because im buying a 240 that has been side swiped (i was in the car when the drunk guy hit us me and my cuzin) its not that bad and i have a doner car to cut all the needed parts from. it was my cuzins and it has new everything engine trans everything! im gonna be paying 500 for the whole car and i wanted to do the sr20det swap at the same time i repair the car and then go through all the inspections at once. but i have to go through a state offical smog shop so that means i cant just have a buddy of mine smog it if you know what i mean.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:16 AM

You could never make a Japanese motor pass smog(unless you pay someone). The reason is before the mechanic even starts the test, the engine has to pass a visual inspection. They check for certian parts and numbers( i dont know exactly what they check) that the japanese motors dont have. So that is why that wont work
Old 09-17-2003, 05:54 PM

read the first post

Originally posted by jdmdrew
You could never make a Japanese motor pass smog(unless you pay someone). The reason is before the mechanic even starts the test, the engine has to pass a visual inspection. They check for certian parts and numbers( i dont know exactly what they check) that the japanese motors dont have. So that is why that wont work
that would be the point of doing this
"Remember, these are guidelines for performing engine changes -- not certification procedures. All exhaust emission controlled vehicles with engine changes must be inspected by an official referee station and must have a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Vehicle Identification Label affixed to the doorpost. "
Old 09-24-2003, 08:03 PM

i'm pretty sure the turbo alone on visual inspection will make you fail. the car wasn't produced in the US so it can't be used in the US. when you do engine swaps they are talking about engines that were used in the US not in Japan or else where in the world.

Domestic cars do engine swaps left and right but you gotta remember the engines were used and produced in the US. for imports its different.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:18 PM

These engines where never DOT aproved. Because of this no matter what you do the engine will never be legal here in the USA.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:39 AM

I dont know about other states but in MD and NH, inspections and emmission are two diff things. A swapped car will pass inspection no problem I see it all the time. An inspection just makes sure your car is safe to drive and in good working order Ex: turn signals, brakes, suspension pieces etc etc....the mechanic doesnt know the sr20 in your 240 isnt supposed to be there, nor does he care. The only time you'll have a problem is if you need a salvage inspection which you wont be able to get without proper documentation if all the VIN #'s dont match up.

Emmissions is a different story we have diff guidelines than japan. Guidlines will also differ state sto state like cold start emmissions, the rollers, sniffer etc etc... I know CA are emmission ***** . If you have your aiv still hooked up and all emissions equip straight u should be ok, just dont go in there running 20psi and running crazy rich. Older cars also dont have as strict emmissions. Again this is my experience in the states I've had cars inspected and run through emmissions in, your states may be different
Old 09-25-2003, 09:58 AM

pardon my ignorance but what is an AIV
Old 09-25-2003, 11:36 AM

Aiv is for emmissions It lets air into the exhaust manifold at idle to keep the catalytic converter working . its used to pass cold start emmissions,
Old 09-25-2003, 01:32 PM

Air inlet valve? whats it called?

Quick Reply: would this make an SR20DET or RB20DET legal in our cars?