Grant Steering Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 05:43 PM

Grant Steering Wheels

Anyone have experience with Grant brand steering wheels in thier car? I found a nice one at the advance auto parts where my friend works and I can get a good deal since the box is "damaged". I was originally planning on a MOMO Millenium EVO wheel for my car but as I spend the time planning out my interior and being "nickel&dime'd" to death on other things, I am seriously thinking about saving and getting the grant wheel instead. Any advice would be welcome. I figure the pros and cons of doing the grant wheel are as follows:

PROS:
-Cheaper (~$90 for the Grant w/install kit vs. $400 for the MOMO)
-My interior is going to be black with some red accents (Seats, Glove box, Door Pannels.) No silver/grey except the headliner.
-I can feel the Grant at the store, and it feels like a quality comfortable part.
-I can get the cool "Security System" (removable wheel) which adds another layer to my custom "How the F@*K do you start this car!?!?" security system.

CONS:
-The MOMO is a BEAUTIFUL part
-MOMO is closer to factory size (OEM:14.5" vs MOMO:13.7" vs. Grant:13")
-I wouldnt be tempted to buy the ricey "Security System" and slap it in my car.

Comparason Pics:

Grant Signature Formula GT Wheel:

MOMO Millenium EVO Wheel:
Old 03-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

I like how the grant looks, but of course MOMO would be better for quality purposes. do you need a quick release steering wheel? is it a necessary part?
Old 03-23-2009, 06:10 PM

I don't want to show my hand too much but I am working on the setup for a completely keyless car, ie no key for the door, no key for the ignition. It should be pretty hard to beat, but the extra security of a missing wheel gives me a little bit more safety.

I'm planning on the car being a combination of my DD and with some extra attention paid detailing, it will appear at shows. So the quick release hub is not a required part, but I'm building my car from the ground up, and I have always found them cool. I know its ricey, Dave yelled at me for that already(Bullitt tool....), but I do like the look.

Anyway I slice it I need a new wheel, mine is toast and I have yet to find any worth taking in the junkyard.

Last edited by Lord Umoja; 03-23-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

i know alot of people with grant wheels they never had problems...

on a side note that momo made me throw up in my mouth.... i think its fugly
Old 03-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

i personally love the feel and look of my Nardi Classic steering wheel 360mm
Name:  103_3241.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  93.2 KB
Old 03-23-2009, 06:23 PM

get the grant. Its so nice..the momo is very very ugly.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:25 PM

Nice wheel, I know they are a popular choice but its a little bit too minimalist for my taste. I liked the stock wheel but mines a POS and damaged (got carried away in the interior tear down..) I think the pricing of the grant alone makes it too good to pass up. Only the box is damaged, the wheel is in great condition so no worries there.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

momo is overrated, i've used grant wheels before and love them.
this is my personal favorite.

Last edited by jramosthe1st!; 03-23-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:41 PM

So, yes on the grant but a big no on the quick release....
Old 03-23-2009, 06:45 PM

Found this diving on the momo site....

Combines the red and black my car is going to be with the style of the grant wheel and slightly closer in price...$210 Still a little rich for me though...

Old 03-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Contributing Member

the quick release bolt patterns don't line up with grant wheels if i'm not mistaken. that's doesn't mean it cant's be done but i wouldn't do it. beside a quick release is a much of a security feature as.... well i can't think of anything clever but they are not a security feature by any means.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:57 PM

Looking at the Grant information, the Wheel at the top will work fine with the quick release. Worse comes to worse Ill make my own adapter plate. Being a machinist has its perks.

True on the quick release, Its not a security system, its a bauble....But then again, so is the HUD I worked hard to transfer to the new dash, the touchscreen GPS/DVD/CD/SatRadio I plan on installing, ect.

I am glad everyone likes the Grant wheel, so if/when I get it Ill post pics. I just think the quick release is too over the top to pass up, even if it is kinda useless and ricey. I mean just look at the paint job on my Mustang......Thanks for the help.

BTW here is another cool semi-useless tool. My Stewart Warner Ultra-Shift pod. Its a digital tach and shift light I use for drag racing but its always on when I'm in the car.

Name:  IMG_0168.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  66.6 KB

Last edited by Lord Umoja; 03-23-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

i have a tekniq quick release i like it makes it easy to work in the car under the dash etc w/o the wheel plus its extra security
Old 03-23-2009, 11:48 PM

are the grant wheels universal fitment?
if there nice wheels like u guys say i may have to pick one up myself, i really need a smaller steering wheel my legs always hit the wheel when i try to heel toe an its quite difficult haha so a 13 inch would be nice
Old 03-24-2009, 09:56 AM

Grant offers adaptor kits that have the splined hole and you bolt the wheel to the adaptor. I think they make wheels for all non air bag cars. If you have a bag I don't think it would be too hard to disable it and hope the splines are the same. Check their site, it will tell you if they have an adaptor for the S14.

Quick Reply: Grant Steering Wheels