Power Window Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 07:40 PM

Power Window Issue

Hey guys,

I am having a relatively unusual issue regarding my drivers side window. I will try my best to explain this, but it is pretty odd, so ask if I haven't clarified any particular issue!

The issue: The window won't always go down. It ALWAYS goes up, but won't go down all the time!

Interesting conditions:
- it seems to be temperature related, as in when it is hot out during midday, it almost never goes down, but in the mornings and evenings, it will without hesitation. It also opened all winter, and is doing it less and less as summer draws nearer.

- If it miraculously begins to descend when hot, and I stop it, it won't necessarily continue to go down thereafter. At this point, however, it will go back up no problem.

- When it is all the way up, and I try to raise the window, I can hear a click, but not the case when I try to get it open.

- When it does go down, it does so at a reasonable speed, so it doesn't seem to be running slow. It also rises at a normal speed.

Because of the really weird temp issue, I kind of guess there is some physical expansion of a metal causing a ground or something, but haven't gotten into the door yet. I would also say switch, except that it does get the window down on occasion, and always gets the window up.

My question is, when I finally take my door panel off, what all should I test to fix this? I hope it is a loose power wire to the down side of the switch, but are there any other points that could cause this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Jay

Last edited by jaronervin; 04-25-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:12 PM
Contributing Member

I had something like this on my passenger side, the plug had come loose on the back of the switch. Check that simple stuff first.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:28 AM
Club240 Staff

Probably a bad switch or loose connection. If you are good with electrical, you can test to see if the motor is getting power in both directions. there are two wires going to the motor and they switch which is ground and power depending on what way the window is going. 95 percent chance the it is not getting a power or ground or both when the window is not working. If it is though, then its a loose connection at the motor or a bad motor
Old 04-24-2008, 09:04 AM

Thanks guys, I will definitely check all the connections that I can find, and also to see if the motor is getting power or not. I didn't think the motor itself would be an issue, since it still moves the window at full power, and since it always works going up... can the motor go bad in just one direction, and be an intermittent problem?
Old 04-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Club240 Staff

Originally Posted by jaronervin
Thanks guys, I will definitely check all the connections that I can find, and also to see if the motor is getting power or not. I didn't think the motor itself would be an issue, since it still moves the window at full power, and since it always works going up... can the motor go bad in just one direction, and be an intermittent problem?
I doubt it is the motor, and in at least one way, not the motor could not be bad. It could be a bad connection inside the motor though
Old 04-24-2008, 11:14 PM
Contributing Member

its the black box, mine would work sometimes, then sometimes not..try smacking the black box to see if it changes anything, new one is like 30 bucks or something
Old 04-25-2008, 07:26 AM

I haven't gotten into the door just yet, I assume you are talking about something behind the panel?
Old 04-25-2008, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

yea, looks like this

Name:  standard.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  47.4 KB
Old 04-25-2008, 08:36 AM

Awesome, since my new speakers came in yesterday, I'll hopefully get into the door this weekend and check it out! Thanks everyone!
Old 04-25-2008, 10:10 PM

not sure what the problem is but if its the switch itself, i just put one up for sale in the clasified ads.
https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/sale-interior-exterior-sound-styling-61/s13-window-switch-43686/
Old 05-02-2008, 05:59 PM

So, I took off my door panel, and made a couple more observations. When I try to open the window, the little black box mentioned above did not make any noise, but when I close the window, even when it is already closed, it clicks. I took the switch out, but didn't feel comfortable enough tearing it completely apart to see if there was a bad connection.

If that black box (an amp, I think it says?) isn't clicking, would that be a pretty solid piece of evidence that it is switch? Also, does anybody have a diagram of which pin(s) on the switch are for the down function?

Die Trying, I'm going to price a couple of these locally and at some junk yards tomorrow and sunday, but I might be interested in the switch you are selling. Do you know if it was working when you or your friend got it?
Old 05-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

I had this exact same problem, replaced my power window amp and the problem was solved!
Old 05-04-2008, 04:25 PM

he said he tested it there on the spot before the car was towed to the junk yard. of corse if you bought it and it didnt work i would give you your money back
Old 05-06-2008, 06:56 PM

motegineon, where did you see the power window amp for around $30? I might be looking at the wrong part (not the motor), and it says it costs around $130...
Old 05-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Contributing Member

i duno bout brand new i found mine used

Quick Reply: Power Window Issue