General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

240SX, Winter, and Traction...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 07:05 AM

Red face 240SX, Winter, and Traction...?

While having a sporty rear-wheel drive car is a wonderful thing, the winter months are comming, if not all ready here. Since this will be my 1st year with my 240 and my 1st winter driving I'd like to know; how does the 240 hold up in slippery slushy conditions?

PS: Are our cars equipped with a LSD?

Thanks guys!
Old 11-14-2003, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

Re: 240SX, Winter, and Traction...?

Originally posted by playboycougar
While having a sporty rear-wheel drive car is a wonderful thing, the winter months are comming, if not all ready here. Since this will be my 1st year with my 240 and my 1st winter driving I'd like to know; how does the 240 hold up in slippery slushy conditions?

PS: Are our cars equipped with a LSD?

Thanks guys!
1. try searching:

http://www.club240.com/forums/search...der=descending

2. S13 HICAS models and some S14's come w/VLSD (methinks)

Old 11-14-2003, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

my 93 is HICAS, which means it has LSD, but thats not gonna help that much, i'm still gonna put her away for the winter and but a accord/crx for the winter.

Dr.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:11 AM

Originally posted by drnovascotia
my 93 is HICAS, which means it has LSD, but thats not gonna help that much, i'm still gonna put her away for the winter and but a accord/crx for the winter.

Dr.
My exact ideas as well. My HICAS...hmm....although the AWS is broke on it I still hate the thought of driving a RWD in the snow...I'm going to have to go back to my ancient shed in the back and whip out the old 94 modded out the rear end civic....It won't help much either cuz' it's lowered 3 inches and I'm riding on the sleeper steelies...(oh, with bald tires)
Old 11-14-2003, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

I wish I had a spare car lying around out back. well, I hope to soon! I don't wanna put my baby through the winter here in NE.

Dr.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:46 AM

Be prepared to countersteer anytime when traction's limited....

If you intend to drive it in Winter, getting nice winter tires is a good idea, also, put some weight in the trunk helps. I put my summer rims in trunk before, last nite I took them out and the car spun freely... my all-season tires suck.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:49 PM

The only peopel I see spin out and lose control are dumbasses. I can say I see at least 4 S13/S14's out here everyday riding on the same tires as summer...hell I did. My friend does it. It is peopel who still think it is summer out and the roads arent bad. As you dont do anythign stupid...you will be fine. even with my 4wd, I always go 10-15MPH slower than the posted limit, if it is snowing or the roads are hella icey (as they are always are on base)
Old 11-14-2003, 02:55 PM

RWD is more dangerous than FWD or AWD in snow, according to physics. Which one is better, FWD or AWD? Either one will do fine for daily driving purposes in winter conditions.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:00 PM

I wil agree that RWD is more dangerous but it can be prevented. I tell you here we get BAAAAAAAAD roads. Especially on base because they dont plow right away so peopel drive over the snow and it becomes solid ice. I see more FWD cars stranded and in a ditch or in a big snow bank, than RWD. We had my S13, my friends S13, a few more S13's, and S14, we have quite few Cobras. Corvettes all that RWD crap. HArdly ever do I see them in a ditch. Patience is key. Dont leave the same time you would for work in the summer, expecting to go the same speed limit you did. if you do, then you deserve to be in a ditch. I know the two times I did drive my S13 in the snow with the same crappy all season tires and no extra weight in the back. I did fine. I gave myself ample time to get where I was going and waved the middle finger to anyone gettign pissed because I was going slower. IF they want to hit black ice and spin out let them, but I already know my traction will suffer because I have RWD, I wont add to it by driving dumb too
Old 11-15-2003, 05:41 AM

Ok, so if I toss my summer wheels and tires in the trunk, that'll weigh things down a bit and help out with traction I suppose.

PS: I go to get the 240 today
Old 11-15-2003, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by Spec_v5150
The only peopel I see spin out and lose control are dumbasses. I can say I see at least 4 S13/S14's out here everyday riding on the same tires as summer...hell I did. My friend does it. It is peopel who still think it is summer out and the roads arent bad. As you dont do anythign stupid...you will be fine. even with my 4wd, I always go 10-15MPH slower than the posted limit, if it is snowing or the roads are hella icey (as they are always are on base)
Hey bud please be careful with your wording. It might offence some drivers who don't know how to control the car yet. Besides, no matter how careful and slow you go, there's always the unpredictable, eh?
Old 11-16-2003, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by Spec_v5150
I wil agree that RWD is more dangerous but it can be prevented. I tell you here we get BAAAAAAAAD roads. Especially on base because they dont plow right away so peopel drive over the snow and it becomes solid ice. I see more FWD cars stranded and in a ditch or in a big snow bank, than RWD. We had my S13, my friends S13, a few more S13's, and S14, we have quite few Cobras. Corvettes all that RWD crap. HArdly ever do I see them in a ditch. Patience is key. Dont leave the same time you would for work in the summer, expecting to go the same speed limit you did. if you do, then you deserve to be in a ditch. I know the two times I did drive my S13 in the snow with the same crappy all season tires and no extra weight in the back. I did fine. I gave myself ample time to get where I was going and waved the middle finger to anyone gettign pissed because I was going slower. IF they want to hit black ice and spin out let them, but I already know my traction will suffer because I have RWD, I wont add to it by driving dumb too
that's because there are more fwd vehicles on the road than rwd vehicles...and you don't see cobras and vettes in a ditch cuz they're smart enough not to drive on snow...
driving a rwd on fresh powder isn't too hard but most us have lowered cars so you're gonna get stuck easily due to low-clearance....you gotta watch out for those unexpected black ice...once you hit that black ice...forget about it...there is no control...nothings better than a bit up hondas or subarus for winter...
Old 11-16-2003, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by nissean
that's because there are more fwd vehicles on the road than rwd vehicles...and you don't see cobras and vettes in a ditch cuz they're smart enough not to drive on snow...
driving a rwd on fresh powder isn't too hard but most us have lowered cars so you're gonna get stuck easily due to low-clearance....you gotta watch out for those unexpected black ice...once you hit that black ice...forget about it...there is no control...nothings better than a bit up hondas or subarus for winter...
That may be a true statement...I am just stating what I see here. It is not the same everywhere. We have alot of RWD vehicles here. Almost every truck up here that isnt 4WD, is RWD. So we have quite a bit. I have spun out in my FWD before....thinking I was super driver and all. NOw I learned my lesson and since never slid out. I just think peopel overstate the 240 and RWD as being almost undriveable (not saying it was in this thread) in the snow.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

well i've talked to several people here in the east coast, and I have to say with last winter giving 100 inches of snow last year, i'm not wanting to risk my baby when it snows that much. Everyone I've met puts theirs away for the winter as well. If I crash i'd rather lose a 1500 crx than a 4000 240sx.

Dr.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:21 PM

I actaully enjoyed the snow last winter.. enables me to handbrake drift my FWD car.. all at like 20 mph.

Quick Reply: 240SX, Winter, and Traction...?