General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

2theories2furious

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 11:46 AM

2theories2furious

1. Side exhausts. what do they serve? is it to get exhaust fumes out of the car faster?

2. lifted hoods. My friend who owns an automobile said he's seen some new JDM fad where you lift the hood by the hinges an inch or tow so the heat of the engine comes out onto the windshield, and slides away. theoretically true?
Old 12-22-2005, 12:21 PM

The thought of ether of those makes me
Old 12-22-2005, 12:27 PM

well I think side exhaust is just for the mexican look. and I have no opinion of hte lifted hoods. my friends said it suppose to work. but it's getting abit ricy. like ricers have totally ruin it.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

side exhast is just personal preference some people think it looks cool. the lifted hoods actually do lower underhood temps slightly.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

ice heard that the lifted hood doesnt do enough to worry about... with some big fans, i think it could helpt htough
Old 12-22-2005, 02:14 PM

i thought unless you're running totally high boost or so under the hood to create so much heat, you won't have to worry about lifting the hood.. but at such situations, the lifted hoods do help slightly
Old 12-22-2005, 03:40 PM

i'm just thinking that side exhausts makes better flow of the gasses than through extra turns and directions to reach the back of the car
Old 12-22-2005, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by SuspicionVandit
i'm just thinking that side exhausts makes better flow of the gasses than through extra turns and directions to reach the back of the car
there wouldn't necessarily be BETTER flow of gases..

the less turns and twists there are, the better airflow it gets.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:55 PM

I don't care if lifted hoods made a huge difference, they look like crap. Kinda like your hood is latched, but isn't bolted to the hood hinges.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:02 PM

I personally look down on people who do the "lifted hood thingy. Yes, they do lower temperatures, but there's not that much need of temp lowering if you're not using some super high boost of some engine parts that may create extra heat. you can solve those problems with aluminum radiators and bigger fans. If your engine makes so much heat that you have to vent it out that way, then you must have a lot of performance parts in it,which cost money. and if you have that money, then you have money for hood vents and side fender vents.

Moral is: Don't be rice.

As for the side exhaust, it won't really help that much, it just does the same job as a good cat back system. Only mustangs have those. I wouldn't think a 240 would generate so much exhaust preasure and power as to need open side headers. And it would sound so hard that anyone who aproaches would have bleeding ears.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:00 AM

most of the Big Block race cars and stuff use side exhaust because when the pipe size gets to 3" or bigger you run into clearance issues with the pipe and rear end. you can run it higher but then it hits frame rails and such.... DONT DO IT...
Old 12-30-2005, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

I'm running side exhaust in front of both rear tires on my '67 mustang.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by Atown 240
I'm running side exhaust in front of both rear tires on my '67 mustang.
What did I say
Old 02-03-2006, 12:47 PM

Radiator, Exhaust Fans, "header wrap", Vents... those are to controll heat. Adding a hood 'lift' doesn't sound like a good idea; Asthetically... first off. Secondly I'm sure if the alteration isn't done proper [which people probably think it's some simple mod and attempt to do it themselves] - could be dangerous on a multitude of levels, Also... if it didn't create a 'fog' on some days/temps... what if a valve or something blew and you had all the fluids...fumes... and FIRE? - Flying directly against your window.

anyone got a picture of someone who did this mod?... I wanna laugh... "Hey look I lifted my hood, and got these neat-o 'feelers' to keep me from scraping the curb"

Side Exhaust... I think it looks cool, I know I know.. the movie was way off basis, but... Fast and the Furious, Remember the Blue Nissan? It was a front wheel drive [can't remember what kind of car] But the side exhaust on that looked slick. - Plus I think with side exhaust you could have a cleaner rear bumper?...
Old 02-03-2006, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

^haha, nice thread revival

the people that lift them, lift them from the back, not the front hinge... i agree on the side exhasut, looks ok on some cars. But i wonder if the shorter length+hard bend is anybetter than a longer, straigter exhaust