General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

89 240sx Transmission linkage

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 12:34 PM

89 240sx Transmission linkage

Ok when i shift the car into reverse the car goes forward so i got under the car and checked the transmission linkage and i noticed the linkage has a bend in it like mid rod area.. I was just wondering it that bend is suppose to be there or if i tweaked that rod and thats why the transmission is not shifting all the way forward!! cann someone please tell me if that rod is suppose to be stright or if its suppose to have that bend in it
Old 07-16-2005, 01:26 PM

well i disconneded the linkage from the shifter bar and i tried moving the linkeage by hand all the way forward and i couldnt move the linkage any farther forward then it already was.. soo i dont think the linkage is messed up. What else could be causing this problem ?
Old 07-16-2005, 01:28 PM
Contributing Member

Huh? Are you talking about an automatic transmission? I don't think there is any external linkage on the manual.

If an auto, does it still let you put it into park?

-Justin
Old 07-16-2005, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

uhm FR does not have shift linkage the shifter fork could be bent however
Old 07-16-2005, 01:33 PM

yeah its an automatic.. and the little bar bracket on the side of the transmission wont go forward anymore
Old 07-17-2005, 09:48 AM

bump bump
Old 07-17-2005, 09:49 AM

So i disconnected the rod that goes from the shifter to the transmission and i tried pushing the rod farther forward to see if i could get it into park and thats as far as the rod would go.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:55 AM

Sounds like someone that previously owned your car burned up the gears.
I would go to a junk yard and get a manual, supposedly Biggamehit stated that you can use the 89-90 automatic ecu, for stick shift transmission, I'm not shure about that havent done it myself.
I wouldn't waste my time with an auto, it drops to much power at the drive train.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

if u have a 89-94 u can use a auto 92-93 ecu it raises the revs, but its doesnt matter because all of our power is between 1000 and 6800 rpms lol as i found out from u man. One of my buddies did say he felt a lil more power at the top however.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:24 AM

im at the point where im about to just scrap this project.. i have had nothing but problems with this car
Old 07-20-2005, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by Biggamehit
if u have a 89-94 u can use a auto 92-93 ecu it raises the revs, but its doesnt matter because all of our power is between 1000 and 6800 rpms lol as i found out from u man. One of my buddies did say he felt a lil more power at the top however.
Well typicall if you used the 92-93 (16bit), that would also mean that the (8 bit) 89-90 should also be usable, right?
Yeah I was the one that told you about the rev and why you probably blew that last block, the ecu no longer reads what gear the auto would switch gears into. Atleast that is good for the 4th and 5th gear rev limiter. But man if you think about it that means the ecu never leaves first gear, so it must be dumping alot more fuel in the 4th and 5th than the stick shift ecu.
The rev limiter on the 4th and 5th also work as a fuel economy governor it actually dumps less fuel when you use the 4th and 5th on the stick shift ecu.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:25 AM

Hey draft also see what codes the ecu throws out, I don't know if it matters that much, but when my boy E wrecked his s14 the auto wouldn't want to shift gears. He only had like a 10MPH accident and the freakin thing would only move into neutral or park.
Eventually the insurance company claimed it a salvge at 10MPH, freakin sucks cause I was going to buy it from him, but the insurance company claimed they needed the car. Man when those air bags go off it fuc%es up the whole dash. The dash to replace and the bumper and fenders was worth more than the 5G's he paid for the car.
Lesson learned though when I get an s14 i'm gonna disable those freakin airbag sensors.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

technically just unplug the 4th and 5th gear sensor and u will be able to rev to 7200.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:27 AM

I cant get my car to run right.. my brother said something about the ECU needs to be cleared or reset or something because all the info on the firing and everything is stored in the ECU.. He lives in Arizona and I live in Michigan.. He said he could get this engine running like a top in 2 hours if it was down there.. He said i should probably go have it put on a scope so i can have the sensors all reset or something.. I was not really understanding what he was wanting me to do. Anyone out there have some advice? I think my transmission is shot also.. I cant get the car to go in reverse.. it always goes forward.. I know before i blew the engine up the over drive was slipping from time to time. But i never had this problem
Old 07-20-2005, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by Biggamehit
technically just unplug the 4th and 5th gear sensor and u will be able to rev to 7200.
Tried that, can't do it with my ride I have a digital speedo and hud, my speedo goes blank.

Quick Reply: 89 240sx Transmission linkage