General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

95 S14 A/C Control Panel Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 10:18 PM

I like that.....are there separate led's for the needles tho?
Old 01-11-2005, 02:09 AM

went on LS diodes website and have one question. what does mcd mean? took eletronics in high school, but dont remember anything like that. could someone also do me a favor and tell me exactly how many there are to replace (everyone needs replacement except for indicators, but dont want green...so what the hey. all of em are going). don't want to tear it apart until i actually do the install because i still want to use the climate control and don't want to deal with the damn clips. so i need to know how many leds to order.

thanks for the tips 12aine, guess im just impatient. i thought that was the way, but didn't want to snap anything. ill try when i get the leds, ready to solder...
Old 01-11-2005, 03:53 AM
Contributing Member

So today I sat in my car and turned the parking lights on to try to "visualize" different instrumentation colors. I notice that on my particular S14, if you take out the stereo (which I can't mod), the HVAC controls (which should definitely be modded) and the gauge cluster (different story; read previous posts) there's like only 3 other lights to mod:

- cruise control master switch
- ashtray light (which i don't have anyways due to the EDFC)
- rear window defroster switch

Weird... I imagined there being more lights to mod in my car (i.e. for comparison I looked at my mom's Jag, and WOW lights everywhere)

Just wanted to share that. Still debating on if I want to do the light mods, though.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:44 AM

Raine - and everyone else for that matter - i dunno about meeting with the guages too much. I had a space cluster in my room and all the guages are easy to take apart except the speedo. I fscked that up on my spare cluster. That's when I decided not to mess with it and just change the 3 bulbs. I'm happy with the way it came out. All I'm saying is be careful if ur gonna try something crazy w/ the cluster, it's very easy to screw it up.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by DaPCWiz
Raine - and everyone else for that matter - i dunno about meeting with the guages too much. I had a space cluster in my room and all the guages are easy to take apart except the speedo. I fscked that up on my spare cluster. That's when I decided not to mess with it and just change the 3 bulbs. I'm happy with the way it came out. All I'm saying is be careful if ur gonna try something crazy w/ the cluster, it's very easy to screw it up.
It's all in the tools bro - I've had to take apart all 4 gauges a few times when I was prototyping the gauge faces I currently have on my car. the secret to the needles is a pair of super-thin micro electronics pliers. After that, the rest is simple
Old 01-11-2005, 05:26 AM

How many LEDs did you use for the cluster?

that's my cluster with LEDs from superbright LEDs. Looks better than the picture in person.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:28 AM

brightness, millicandelas...if you have ever seen those spotlights rated at a million candel power, this is the same unit, except milli is x10^-3

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sw20>>s14
[B]went on LS diodes website and have one question. what does mcd mean?
Old 01-11-2005, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by cmhadley
How many LEDs did you use for the cluster?
I just put the wide angle LEDs in the same locations at the stock bulbs.... so 3 LEDs.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:56 PM

did you use the high flux red ones found here? I looked at those and the blue wide angle ones are about 1/4th as bright as the red, how bright is your cluster? I'm wanting to do white in mine and blue in my friends civic, so any info you have is much appreciated

EDIT: your needles look really lit up, did you do anything extra to them?
Old 01-11-2005, 03:29 PM

wtf is high flux? haha I jsut got the wide angle 194's.... maybe I need high flux. To tell u the truth, they are PRETTY GOOD, but I wish they were slightly brighter. I didn't add any extra to the needles, the needles get super bright on their own, i dunno why, but it looks cool. Around where my "0" is on my speedo doesn't light up to well. The rest of it is pretty decent. But then again, even with stock bulbs I wish it was brighter, so I think it's about the same brightness as stock with the exception of the 0 mph.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:26 PM

wow I just found these products here and if they work like i think they will, it will make LED conversions so cheap and easy...i'm thinking of buying some and trying them out...
Old 01-11-2005, 04:42 PM

that is what I put in my cluster...

WLED-R Red LED bulb
12VDC Red 1-LED Wedge Base Bulb (194/168 type)
Available with Wide Viewing Angle (as shown here) or Round tipped Narrow Viewing Angle LED
$ 0.89
Old 01-11-2005, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

hey can you get some pics of it lit up? I'm wondering how it would look if you used those bumbs and did the "sanding trick" to the LED lense to diffuse the light better.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by l2aine
hey can you get some pics of it lit up? I'm wondering how it would look if you used those bumbs and did the "sanding trick" to the LED lense to diffuse the light better.
wait are you talking to me? cuz I already posted a pic of my cluster lit up.... if u mean the bulb lit up... it's already in my cluster bro and with the snow falling outside, it be too cold for me to take the bulb outta my cluster just to take a pic of it lit up....
Old 01-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

wait are you talking to me? cuz I already posted a pic of my cluster lit up.... if u mean the bulb lit up... it's already in my cluster bro and with the snow falling outside, it be too cold for me to take the bulb outta my cluster just to take a pic of it lit up....
you're right - sorry, it was on the previous page already before I posted

Quick Reply: 95 S14 A/C Control Panel Lighting