General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

About the S-chassis

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 07:50 AM

About the S-chassis

ok so im lookiing up information about the S-chassis. it would help if i can get some personnel opinions since theards dont always help. well ok i understand from my research that the S13/S14 suffer from a lot of unsprung weight in the front wheels and a lot of body roll. when modifications are applied i know this will help but would it solve the problem? im thinking of buliding a S-chassis but im putting a lot of thought into it from peoples experinces. the rear suspenion is great and from owners that i have met i was told it has a lot of potential. i read up on time attacks/road races as well but i never really see a s-chassis go far up in the classes. usually its street class and doesnt do well. Is there something wrong with this chassis wheather its an S13 or a S14? or does it come to a point were something as an AE86 can out handle it.

thanks for listening
Old 02-27-2009, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

an stock AE86 chassis is far more obsolete than a s-chassis. its not better than a s-13 and is no where the s-14 in regards to engineering. now if you take and strip an 86 and stitch weld it etc, well you have yourself a full out race car.

to put it simple, you can build a very solid 240sx track car for $4-5k. crazy power is not needed mandatory. yes 240's don't have wishbone suspension and in stock form and the cars well suck. any car with suspension like that would have body roll. Adding proper suspension and addressing 16+ year old bushings will help you shed light on this chassis which has potential and has been utilized well with-in the SCCA ranks.

for real world applications. In auto-x sessions i had better times the s2k's, porsches etc. you just have to put the money into the right spots and you will be rewarded.

Last edited by Biggamehit; 02-27-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

I went to a corvette meet where they were doing autoX and I placed about mid range of what the vettes were running.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

dont get one they suck
Old 02-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

also... i respect all cars. many of the guys here and myself are not brand loyal junkies.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

nope im not i like alot of cars the problem is i cant afford them hahaha
Old 02-27-2009, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

HAHA, I just have a 240 because thats what I know most about and one of the easiest cars to drift.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit
an stock AE86 chassis is far more obsolete than a s-chassis. its not better than a s-13 and is no where the s-14 in regards to engineering. now if you take and strip an 86 and stitch weld it etc, well you have yourself a full out race car.

to put it simple, you can build a very solid 240sx track car for $4-5k. crazy power is not needed mandatory. yes 240's don't have wishbone suspension and in stock form and the cars well suck. any car with suspension like that would have body roll. Adding proper suspension and addressing 16+ year old bushings will help you shed light on this chassis which has potential and has been utilized well with-in the SCCA ranks.

for real world applications. In auto-x sessions i had better times the s2k's, porsches etc. you just have to put the money into the right spots and you will be rewarded.

i was told from someelse that Macpherson strut will always be a "disadvantage" of S-chassis, but I wouldn't blame it and call it the ultimate weakness in the suspension department. MacPherson strut would work well too, just look at E30, E36 M3, and Porsche. IMO, S-chassis front suspension is lack of suspension travel and limited room for correct roll center adjustment once the car is lowered. But I'll leave it here for now b/c I am not qualify to go any further in depth about the suspension geometry etc

my respondes to that was
so if the front susppension can be compared to a 3 seriers or even a M3 what can be done about lack of suspension travel in the front and body roll when the car is lowered.

i understand things like weight reduction and lighter wheels can help but what else? and would this slove the problem...would this give the car good handling as compared to let say an s2000,itr,etc...

on the side note an AE86 still suprises me to handle very well even though the rear suspension is a solid live axle

your thoughts
thanks
Old 02-27-2009, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

there is no serious problem. I don't have an issue making the 240 do anything i want it to do.

suspension tuning is its own freak of nature when you get into it. You will always see me kinda not agree with a young man slamming his car to the ground. Its good now that coilovers allow you to drop the body and still maintain proper travel. Many people still neglect and or know nothing about Corner balancing. As far as comparing it to other chassis, you could do this all day.

for example the s2k as we all know comes in the spin happy AP1 and rather tamed AP2 model. I have driven both of them and they are like heaven compared to my personal 240 which just has basic old school JIC FLT-A1's and some bushing upgrades.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Contributing Member

um... my car has prenty of suspension travel and im lowered and body roll is a minimum...
this was my body roll was with stock worn out swap bars
Name:  DSC_9549.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  74.1 KB

now my car dosnt even move with my new aftermarket ones with poly bushings lol
Old 02-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

oOOO no batt....... i was not saying lower is bad lol. im just talking about those guys who buy a 240 Monday and want it slammed and scrapping the ground on Tuesday and they dont know a lick about suspension basics lol.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Biggamehit
oOOO no batt....... i was not saying lower is bad lol. im just talking about those guys who buy a 240 Monday and want it slammed and scrapping the ground on Tuesday and they dont know a lick about suspension basics lol.
wasnt refering to you mang lol was refering to OP he said s-chassis have limited suspension travel when lowered.. and alot of body roll

you want to see alot of body roll drive a SRT-4 lmao
Old 02-27-2009, 10:33 AM

Biggamehit,
honestly, would it take to much work to handel anything close to a S2000? or even a ITR? or does it take much more then that to handel very well, if it were an S13 or S14.

do you track your 240?

Last edited by romeg6; 02-27-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by romeg6
Biggamehit,
honestly, would it take to much work to handel anything close to a S2000? or even a ITR? or does it take much more then that to handel very well, if it were an S13 or S14.

do you track your 240?
my friend has a 2000 ITR hes had it new from the dealer since 2000. well he drove my car and his comments were.

"Stock for stock my Integra out handles your car but both cars with suspension mods the 240 handles better" i have a s14 i have been bulding for mostly auto-x

oh and as Tsuchiya says the s13 has understeer but nissan corrected this with the s14 by adding more weight to the front to give it neutral steering

Last edited by battosaii930; 02-27-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

yes i drift and auto-x my car

http://donaldjackson.teammnr.com/

as i stated, it doesn't take much to have a good 240, Parts dont do everything, its the driver man.

Quick Reply: About the S-chassis