General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Accident last night with my 98 kouki

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 02:36 AM

Accident last night with my 98 kouki

Yes, shame on me, and I've been suffering for a whole nite and day, but still coudln't get out of it. Last nite I spun out in a corner and foolishly stepped on the brake, which leads to a rear end body damage. The tailight is smashed, cracked; the trunk is pop up but can't open; the rear bumper is pushed in the left side (Driver's side) along with the rear quarter panel ....yes, the rear quarter panel... and back panel. Even though it is like 2 or 3 inches pushed in, the guy in the shop told me it requires to replace the whole thing: left rear quarter panel, back panel, rear bumper, tailight, and trunk (because it is slight twisted but I can't tell, and the hinge should be messed up).

I went to my friend's uncle's shop. He said it would cost 4000 dollars to fix them and I have supply rear bumper, tailight and trunk lid. Reason behind this extermely high cost is also because I'm asking him to paint my front bumper and side skirt at the same time, but even that, it seems too expensive for me to pay for my mistake. Is he charging me too much? (It is not my first car accident, and he sounds somwhat reasonable) Is there any other way I can fix it cheaper, and should I? (I'm planning to keep the car in a long term)

Here are something new I heard:
1.There are no rear quarter panel for kouki in stock anywhere in the US!
2. There are two models of 1998 rear bumpers; one is with bumper spoiler and one without (not sure); also, zenki and kouki rear quarter might not be interchangable (also not sure)
3. Rear quarter panel is not part of the frame: the front fender is removable with bolts, but rear quarter panels are are weld in.
4. I feel terriably in shame to put the first accident in this rare Kouki, but somewhat feeling lucky that the rear quarter panel is replacable so there will be no permanite damage on the car.

More debating question today. Should I buy a ~1000 car to commute for now, and wait for another week till my final over, and then start to work on the car myself slowly during summer? Or should I just let the shop do it for 4000+ dollars?
Old 05-12-2007, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

Sucks, brahhhhh.

$4,000 is about the price for that much work.

The rear quarter panel has to be pullled.
Hopefully you don't have frame damage.
If you do, that car is thrash.

You got pictures?
Old 05-12-2007, 08:28 AM

Feel for you man sorry it had to happen to a 240 owner. Good Luck with the repairs.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member

easy and cheap fix would be to just cut the fender out and get some fiberglass overfenders. ~$400 vs $4000
Old 05-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

sorry bro. its a ****ty feeling.. you will bounce back...
Old 05-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

depending on the location of the damage you might be able to get away with overfenders, if not, have the shop cut and weld you a new 1/4 panel. also, zenki and kouki quarters are interchangable.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:21 PM
Contributing Member

any pics of the damage? itd be much easier to tell you wether or not its toast. lol. doesnt seem that bad.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:09 PM

thanks guys, I've been through a lot during these hours. I was in a rush, so didn't take pics. But it is very similar to this pic and it is not as serious. There is very tiny dent at the side (like next to the wheel) which caused by the force of the pushing motion. And lucky thing is the bottom rear is still good, i.e. the reinforcement is still untouched. Bad thing is the back panel pushed in a little.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...yn/Hitrear.jpg

just came bk from the shop... got bad news all over. I feel like being robbed. They've already took the 1/4 window and rear window out, which the owner said costed $320. And he special ordered a part for me which I have to pay. Evenmore, hetold me the rear quarter is not part of the unibody!!!??? It is only the skin, which the real unibody is at the bottom and under it. I'm not sure if this is true,
Here is the whole story, yesterday, he special ordered a quarter panel from another donor 240sx (he said it's 95), so I asked him what happens if it doesn't fit since there are many minor differences, and then I CLEARLY heard from him that he said "we can always return it". So earlier today, I decided not to cut my "unibody" 1/4 panel and put a wide panel to cover it, also don't paint other front bumpers and skirts, he said he can lower $1200 for me. But just now, i got another call from him which basically he is forcing me to buy the used 1/4 panel front the donor car since it is already being cut and sh*t. So I told him that "you said to me in the beginning that you can always return it." but he was like "no, in the beginning, it should be like u agreed to buy it if this is the right item." I was like wtf, it is not even 98. And then he freak'in changed all of the sudden saying that this is 98.... I was like MOTHER F*****!!!

Then I told him to wait, I'm going to make some phone calls. Now, I called my friend whose the shop owner's niece. I don't know what would happen. But I'm feeling very pissed but at the sametime helpless cuz my car is sitting there without rear bumper and windows... sorry for my grammar...
Old 05-12-2007, 08:07 PM

Oooh...that hurts. Sorry for your car

Here's my question: where's your auto-insurance in all of this? Do they not cover it if you're at fault?
Old 05-13-2007, 12:28 PM

i don't have full insurance, I'm going to suck it up all by myself
Old 05-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

yea, have a shop fix that. and $4000 isnt too bad.

if i was you, i would find a clean zenki shell for around $1000-$1500 and swap everything over, including the front end.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:45 PM

^^^ + infinity....find a clean Zenki or one with minor front end damage (check to see if the frame is ok or not)

then swap all your kouki stuff over...

If not, you can at least make a good deal of money parting out your kouki stuff
Old 05-13-2007, 06:57 PM

If not, you can at least make a good deal of money parting out your kouki stuff
Dibs on the trunk lid! ...maybe...
Old 05-13-2007, 08:06 PM

Thanks for all you guys' well input. Everything is settled down now. Had a long talk with the friend who know the owner. The price is lowered $200 and he will still take care of everything I ask. The rear quarter panel is going to be replaced and weld at the spot where "factory welded" except for the pillar which connects to the roof. The result coming out should be comparablly back to original shape exactly. I've seen the two G35 done in the shop, and they are quite nimble.
The reason he didn't ask me to sign anything is because he said I'm his niece's friend, so that he neglected the paperwork. Anyways, I"m still thinking should I just repair it instead of replace because a cut between the roof and the rear quarter panel will be left. Even though there is pretty much no way for anybody to tell there is a weld job done there, I still feel weird about it. What you guys think? If I just repair it, I can widen the body at the sametime, but when I open the trunk, the panel precision will be slightly off and ugly inside (behind the trim carpet). Or if I just let him do the whole replacement job since the windows have already been removed and all other bumpers and skirts will be repainted due my request.

PS: there is no gurantee for me to not rear ended my car again, so if I just let it be, and cover it with wide body kit, isn't it better off this way? And I like spiritual driving alot; even after this accident, I just rethink everyday and nite I should've gas'd it instead of stepped on the brake.... Well, things will never come back when it is past.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

If he fixes it back to OEM specs you most likely will never be able to notice. You said yourself that the welds will be under the carpet, so who cares? Also, isnt most of the other stuff things that would have to be done anyways, like windows and bumper?

Quick Reply: Accident last night with my 98 kouki