General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Advantages of new LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 12:49 PM

Advantages of new LSD?

What exactly would a new LSD do better than your stock one? I don't fully understand how it is a performance upgrade... i have a 93 240sx w/hicas, its NA and im only doing basic mods so is a new LSD even worth it in my case?
Old 10-31-2003, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Advantages of new LSD?

Originally posted by M3thod_Man
What exactly would a new LSD do better than your stock one? I don't fully understand how it is a performance upgrade... i have a 93 240sx w/hicas, its NA and im only doing basic mods so is a new LSD even worth it in my case?
it all depends on ur driving situation. i'm sure somebody else can do a better job of explaining it (Stan comes to mind), but i'll give it a crack. first off, it mostly depends on if u do a considerable amount of track time. be it drag, track racing, drift, or autocross, u can stand to benefit from one. also, it's a matter of drving experience. if u've done enough high performance type driving, u'll have a better sense of how ur car drives and what adjustments may be necessary. if u don't do much of that kinda driving, then obviously, u won't really reap any of the benefits. now reasons to get another lsd range from replacing a failing unit to requiring more locking action. in the case of the former, u'd do well getting another vlsd. in the case of the latter, then u would step up to a clutch type, torsen, or helical lsd. if u need an indepth explanation of each type, search the boards or visit howstuffworks. hope this helps!
Old 10-31-2003, 09:15 PM

Well said.
Old 11-01-2003, 05:12 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Advantages of new LSD?

Originally posted by M3thod_Man
... i have a 93 240sx w/hicas, its NA and im only doing basic mods so is a new LSD even worth it in my case?
Even if Tsuchiya himself says "LSD" as the 3rd or 4th "basic upgrade" for drifting, it's far from basic.

You'd be better off starting with other areas of your car first. IMO basic mods are (this is off the top of my head):

Engine: Bolt on stuff - intake, exhaust, headers, ignition wires, spark plugs, throttle body.

Suspension: Springs, shocks, sway bars.

Drivetrain: Brake rotors, brake pads, short shifter, pedals (if that's your thing)

Some people prefer to disable the HICAS on their cars, especially if they drift. There's bolt-on kits that disable the HICAS is you choose to go this route.

I'd say do all of the above first before even considering upgrading your LSD. You'll get so much more out of the above changes (all easily installed in your own garage if you have the tools and the time) than just from an LSD alone
Old 11-01-2003, 09:00 AM
Contributing Member

I'd agree with the chica on this one, but you make it sound like HICAS is a bad thing, when I absolutly love it. Riding with a car without hicas, then mine you can absolutly feel the difference off the line and around corners you can hug a lot tighter.
the hicas doesn't want your car going sideways, so yeah, if you drift you'll want to disable that, heh.

I'm not looking to upgrade my hicas however, for the $$ I was better off spending it elsewhere (winter beater)

Dr.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by drnovascotia
I'd agree with the chica on this one,
...who's a chica?
Old 11-01-2003, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by l2aine
...who's a chica?
LOL yeah, i'm wondering myself...
Old 11-01-2003, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

he thought raine was a chick
Old 11-01-2003, 11:19 AM
Contributing Member

haha yeah... ever since I put up that avitar I've been getting PMs and all that about being "a cutie" etc. which technically I'm OK with since that means my GF is attractive LOL

...but it's getting out of hand, so I added a line in my sig. to resolve any gender questions
Old 11-01-2003, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

haha yeah... ever since I put up that avitar I've been getting PMs and all that about being "a cutie" etc. which technically I'm OK with since that means my GF is attractive LOL

...but it's getting out of hand, so I added a line in my sig. to resolve any gender questions
i have to admit, before i saw ur post in another thread about ur avatar, i was wondering myself. but it's all good. and yeah, ur chick is a cutie. i'm sure u get tired of hearing that, but i know that's better than "wtf is that beast in ur avatar?! somebody call animal control!"
Old 11-01-2003, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Sil40_Mayhem
"wtf is that beast in ur avatar?! somebody call animal control!"
holy sh*t lol, haha and i noticed the sig Raine lol.
Old 11-01-2003, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

yeah, I totally thought with a pic of a girl in your avitar you were a girl, I didn't realise your girl had you so whipped that even your avitar is her, lol. Talk about hit over the head with love by a 2X4.

heh, j/k

Dr.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:44 PM
Contributing Member

Putting her on my avitar and being whipped by her is a small price to pay for the return I get
Old 11-03-2003, 05:30 AM
Contributing Member

Putting her on my avitar and being whipped by her is a small price to pay for the return I get
well said, my man, well said...
Old 11-03-2003, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

lol

he admits it, he's cool with it, he gets some so nothing else matter? heh

Dr.

Quick Reply: Advantages of new LSD?