General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Bought A New 240, couple queries

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 09:50 PM

Arrow Bought A New 240, couple queries

Hey everyone, i bought another 240 after mine was totaled sitting in front of my house, this time i bought a 5 speed s14 instead of the s13 fastback i had. I got this one for 2900, it has some problems.

The exhaust, sunroof motor, headlights are funny, one if on while other off, but when on high beam both are on...

The most notable that i have a question about is the steering, the steering feels stiff, like it doesn't have power steering. But its not like I have to turn the wheel over and over to make the car turn, it is just HARD to turn the wheel, and it only like to go about 3/4 of the way, i have to actually pull and use both hands. Does anyone have the slightest idea what this could be?

The car has been lowered 2 inches and has an intake and a short shifter, kinda cool bonus, simple but pricey stuff i would of done (minus the intake, sr swap)

If someone could please help me out with this steering problem, something i havn't encountered before, i tried searching =D
Old 12-04-2004, 10:57 PM

I've taken classes in my high school about car maintanence and all. If I remember correctly maybe your running low on power steering fluid? If thats not the case bring it down for a tune up. Thats also the best thing to do after purchasing a car from a private seller. I recommand you check the fluid and then for the tune up. I believe its about $30 for a check up and prices may varie on tune ups.

Not a pro at this so I hope this helps with the lil knowledge i got
Old 12-04-2004, 11:09 PM

Well, i am pretty sure its the power steering, cause at high speeds it handles great, i was oming back at over 110 mph when i bought it (break her in... for me) and it was love. But it is WILD trying to park and maneuver in a parking lot. The wheel is just stiff and very hard to turn, i've never driven a car w/o power steering, anyone know any other problems this could possibly be? what if it isn't power steering fluid, whats a repair price range im looking at...
Old 12-04-2004, 11:17 PM

The power steering system may have been removed. If not the power steering fluid is low or the pump has failed. Having it lowered doesn't help at all. You can either fix it or keep driving it like that and get stronger.

Check the power steering lines for leaking.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:03 AM

im going to go out and give it a look, i didn't want to last night at 230 in the morning when i posted, heh
Old 12-05-2004, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by devnull
The power steering system may have been removed. If not the power steering fluid is low or the pump has failed. Having it lowered doesn't help at all. You can either fix it or keep driving it like that and get stronger.

Check the power steering lines for leaking.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:34 AM

Maybe your biceps are low on fluid.

The first car I ever owned didn't have power steering, and I learned to love it. I think everyone's first car should be without it, because it teaches you to turn the wheel while you're still rolling (i.e. backing out of a parking space, or making a 3 point turn) and there is less resistance. When the car is not moving it's either hard for the driver or hard for the p/s system. I nearly flip out when my girlfriend drives in parking lots...

Anyway, is there any noise coming from the front of the car when you turn the wheel? A power steering pump that's low on fluid makes a very distinct screeching sound. However, one that's completely OUT of fluid might not make that same noise.

The first thing I would do is check the fluid level. Gotta get that fixed before any drifting! Good luck.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:53 AM

Yea imagine drifting with stiff handling Always a fun expirence to have
Old 12-05-2004, 04:50 PM

i'm guessing that your p/s pump was taken out... a lot of people at least all the kids i know (but they drive honda's so what do they know) take the pump out cause it takes up a lot of ugly space in the engine bay and you can get used to the stiff feel but thats in a honda. Who drifts in a freakin civic hatchback? so i mean check to see if you even have the pump and then check for the levels and if all is okay then check the lines for leaks... if that doesnt seem to help i got nothing for ya
Old 12-05-2004, 09:22 PM

i checked my ps fluid and i had none, either it was emptied and bleeded out, or there is a leak in the line because usually there would be atleast some, it works now =D ill see how it is in a couple days or check under my car tomorrow morning to see if im leaking some p/s fluid, thanks though guys, anyone have any help on my headlight issue?

When headlights on normal 1 is out, when on bright, both are working, is this a simple wiring problem?
Old 12-05-2004, 10:30 PM

Couldn't it just be a bad bulb?
Old 12-06-2004, 06:58 AM

Replace the bulb.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:55 AM

if its not the bulb the last 240 i had i ordered a pair of 180sx headlights and they did the same thing, although sometimes they would both work on low but usually only one but both worked on high. but i sold the car right after that so i never got to find out the problem but yeah i would have to say trie the bulbs first.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by s13_peacekeeper
if its not the bulb the last 240 i had i ordered a pair of 180sx headlights and they did the same thing, although sometimes they would both work on low but usually only one but both worked on high. but i sold the car right after that so i never got to find out the problem but yeah i would have to say trie the bulbs first.
If it's not the bulbs (replace both at once) then you have a short somewhere.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:51 PM

Edit: Oh Raine, why do you say replace both at once? Im going to go buy a multimeter tonight or sometime i get off work to save some money for the future =D

Im thinking it's a short, The dude before me was (no offense) a moron. There are so many little things i need to do to the car to get it up and, er.. working, to where i need it. Hell it runs strong and has a B&M short shifter and i got it for 2900 dollars. I spent 3 hours taking stupid decals and stickers for companies like tanabe and enjuku racing which he didn't have any products of.

I hate to say it but i'm liking the s14 better than my s13 =\

I am also going to start up a 240 website with just allot of tutorials and how too's, as i do simple stuff, (like get my blinkers working, headlights, and interior which is my specialty) so if anyone has any ideas, let em fly!

Quick Reply: Bought A New 240, couple queries