General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

buying my first 240sx

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 09:55 PM

buying my first 240sx

Can anyone give me some tips?

Thanks, brandon
Old 09-16-2002, 11:21 PM

well, in my experience, be wary of rust. when rust shows up that car has been in poor car for a while, and god only knows how much is hidden. i found this out the hardway while trying to rebuild an el camino ss...we originally saw just a few small rust spots and figured it could be easily fixed. we get the thing home, and panel after rustfilled panel we pull of...
Old 09-17-2002, 02:54 PM

what style is better? hatch or coupe? difference between se and base?

thanks, brandon
Old 09-17-2002, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

well se is full of power windows/locks on both the s13 and s14. if your talking hatch(fastback) then your probably refering to a s13. i would say look for any leaks, on the engine, oil just on the engine that doesn't belong. when driving, make sure the car hasn't been in any major accidents. look at if it drives straight and look in the door to see if the rear panels have been replaced. as said before be careful of rust, very careful. you would want to check and make sure no oil is being burned through the exhaust. and if it has a sunroof, make sure it doesn't leak or have any rust spots on it.

SE on a s13 so have what we call HICAS, which is 4 way steering pretty rear though. SE's also have ABS.

i myself love a fastback, they were made for 8 years in Japan side by side with the s14. so they was lot of people that still wanted it, so they made it for that long. so that's my choice a s13 fastback.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

http://www.socal********** <- go there. That should be all the info you need.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:55 PM
Contributing Member

Re: buying my first 240sx

Originally posted by drift
Can anyone give me some tips?

Thanks, brandon
Don't settle on the first car you see. Keep your eyes and options open. You will want to take a look at three or four cars to get an understanding of which one is the best.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:43 PM

thanks alot guys. you are all a great help!

~brandon

oh if you know of any forsale let me know. im not skert to drive a couple hours (i live in wisconsin)
Old 09-18-2002, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by drift
thanks alot guys. you are all a great help!

~brandon

oh if you know of any forsale let me know. im not skert to drive a couple hours (i live in wisconsin)
I know the feeling. I drove 500 miles in one day to look at two different s14s. They were both trash.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member

how much u willing to spend ? there is one here in ny, 5spd red 240 hb... non se.... looks great... i never drove it but looks clean ..... i was selling mine a few months ago.... i still might be interested if i ever found the right buyer... the guy i was gonna sell it to wanted me to go upstate.... by then i realized i should just keep the car... its hard to find a good one man... so take your time...
Old 09-18-2002, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

As someone's sig is either here or another forum,

Patience is the Key to a Nice Car

SO take your time and do some research. I know when u sometimes go and see a car, you're like I like that one, that;s the one I want even though [insert some problems]. It is a used car, so there might be some, but sleep on it is usually a good way of telling if you like it. Also if the guys says I have someone who really wants it and if you don't then I'll sell it to him; don't fall for that and if he's such in a rush to sell it and can't wait a day or two, then its not for you.

just my $0.02
Old 09-19-2002, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

I think it was DSC on the Zilvia boards with that line V. It goes....

Patience is the key........to a phat ride!!

Basically, check all the lines of the car. The seams, make sure all the lines are straight. If there uneven lines, such as when you go down the front fender, it gets closer to the hood line as you get closer to the front of the car. That would indicate that the fender or hood have been replaced due to an accident of sorts and doesn't line up well. Also, with S13's the area under the spolier has been known to rot, along with the lower rear quarter panels.

I have an S13 hatch(not sure what year) right over here by me. Its white, and the sign says $2800. I haven't taken a look at it, but I will ASAP and give you a heads up. I'm in Suffolk county out on Long Island by the way.
Old 09-21-2002, 11:24 PM
Contributing Member

IMPORT... i got the 90se(fast) i'm not sure i got ABS. there ain't a light on my dash or anything.
the only reason i'm approachin you on this is cuz if i DO have ABS thinkin i don't then i'll be assed out with wrong brake componets.

feel that. just cuz you mentioned all SE's havin ABS..
help me clear this up./.......all ya'll !
Old 09-22-2002, 12:24 AM
Contributing Member

all se's do have abs.... not sure about the s14's but im sure that all se s13's have abs
Old 09-22-2002, 05:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by malicex000
all se's do have abs.... not sure about the s14's but im sure that all se s13's have abs
Wrong.

SE owner. No ABS. Check the car on a case by case.

Rude when you hit the brakes do they pulse before locking? Do you have an ABS light on you dash?

Here are some things to look for:
Attached Thumbnails buying my first 240sx-drift-240e.jpg  

Last edited by StanBo; 09-22-2002 at 05:40 AM.
Old 09-22-2002, 05:39 AM
Contributing Member

The light everyone is speaking of:
Attached Thumbnails buying my first 240sx-hkshyper.jpg  

Quick Reply: buying my first 240sx