General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

A/C Evaporator Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 11:34 AM

Question A/C Evaporator Help!

Car is a 1992. So I noticed a clear oily liquid dripping from the tube that normally drips water from the evapotaror, and then my A/C stopped working. Im figuring it's something busted inside the evaporator, and the clear oil is for the comprsssor. Im not very familiar with A/C systems yet. I started to try and take the evaporator out, but stopped whne I noticed there was pressure still in the fat line running to the evaporator. Questions are as follows:

1. Is there something inside the evaporator that commonly breaks?

2. Can you pull the evaporator out without taking the dash board out? (It looks like its possible with the glovebox and bracket out)

3. Why would there still be pressure in the fat line running into the evaporator if I have a leak inside the evaporator?

4. How hard is it to convert to R134?

Thanks for your replys, I really need A/C living in South Florida, and having a 45 minute drive to work in rush hour wearing a suit.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:53 AM

1. The evaporator is quite similar to a radiator. It's a heat exchanging device which means that it has an array of tubes and vanes. Vibration could case a weak weld or manufacturing seam to fracture. Unlike a heater core, failure of a evaporator is not very predictable.

3. It could be a very slow leak. I have a 300ZX that leaks 1PSI per hour.

4. Converting from R-12 to R-134 requires you change all of the o-rings/seals in the A/C system. An R-12 compressor should work fine with R-134. The only other change is the type of lubricant and the amount of refrigerant.