General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

CAN a 240 sx compete against a porsche 911 gt3

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 08:00 AM

CAN a 240 sx compete against a porsche 911 gt3

i was thinking about starting another project since the one i am in now is coming to a end i call it project pmp (poor man porsche)

here is the goal of the project
1) to be just as faster if not faster than a porsche gt3
2) must be civil air cond. heat etc
3)must be a street car no ripping out interiors

here are the spec on the 2004 porsche 911 gt3 from road and track.

list price 99,900
price as tested 118,250

0-60 mph 4.2
0-1/4 mile 12.4
top speed 190
skipad 0.92g
slalom 68.7 mph

the tires that the car was using was 235/40zr-18 front, 295/30zr-18 rear. tires michelin pilot sports

i was thinking of getting a s14 or s13 but i think with the fender flares i will be better of with the s14. the s13 seems to me to be a tossable kind of car (drifter car)

i was thinking of getting a rb25 but i think it would mess up the cars natural balance. plus it would not have ac or heat.

do you think i will have a chance or should i forget about it and pick another manufacture?

and please don't say with enought money anything is possible. would it be within reasonable and timely cost. so just give me a pallbark figure just for parts, motor, turbines

i am not new to the nissan community i have a turbo nissan nx. i just built that car to be driven everyday. even in bad weather. look good (still working on that but it has t tops) and beat stock or lightly modified 350z's ,g35 ,wrxs, evos, motor swap hondas and low horspower 240's. mission accomplish so its the germans turn to get some. i think of emulating or even beating a gt3 is worth it (plus i know someone that is getting one)
Old 12-15-2003, 08:04 AM

maybe if you swap a rb26dett
Old 12-15-2003, 10:20 AM

I thought of that but i would not have ac nor heat remeber it must be civil. and i have'nt heard of anybody in a rb25 in a 240 makeing big horsepower. nobody has'nt posted any suspension setting, nor talked about how the car handle vs a silvia powered 240. i thought turbo or scc would have done a comparsion already.

i like the though of a straight six in the 240 but remeber this car has to handle as well. there are det power cars that can destroy the skyline on the track and street, weight and balance is the key.

it seems lately everybody is buying 240s for drifting or all out drag. i don't do either i want a street car. i am not going to the track so i am not building a track car. this car is for the street only so it has to deal with the roads.

i know there are evo and wrx's out there that can kill this porsche so why not the 240?
Old 12-15-2003, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

If you get a RB25...bigger injectors, bigger and better turbo, boost it to 20ishPSI, FMIC and all the necessary bolt ons and etc...you will beat a GT3 hands down. But that will cost...around 10k if you do it yourself. And thats not including suspesion and LSD which you will need to put down that power properly. Do you really wanna do that?
Old 12-16-2003, 05:13 AM

Why not but the only issue i have with that motor is the handleing the straight six motor weigh will be over the wheels unlike a det were it is pushed back.

and whats 10,000k thats nothing consider my options

1)i buy a car brand new and have a monthly car note.
2)pay full coverage insurance.
3)lets say i buy a car already with a turbo wrx,evo you know how much insurance i will be paying!!!!!
4)i figure insurance alone (remeber this is nyc) will be $5000 a year in 2 years i would have a car that will destroy a evo.
5)and i don't see a point in buying a new car and start ripping off parts that is not broken.

and don't know how some guys do it. they buy a brand new car $$$$they most likely pay full coverage insurance$$$$ than they want to buy mods$$$$ yeah that makes a lot of sense.

not to say i would never finance a automobile just not a car. i am a tuner. i would finance a truck becuase i would not change anything therefore it will keep most of its value.

the trick is that you have to know which automobiles is worth financeing and, which you buy cash up front so you can change anything that you want.

Last edited by LONEWOLF; 12-16-2003 at 05:16 AM.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

I financed my car. does that make me a looser or sumthin
Old 12-16-2003, 09:20 AM

no maybe you are payed. while everybody works you just drink lemonade.

everybody money income is different i just feel that i am wasteing money if i do what i stated above you may not feel the same to each there own.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:48 AM

there is more to the gt3 than motor. no amount of power can overcome that. you will need to do an equal if not greater amount of work on the suspension.
and its a porsche, so BRAKES!
pity you will never have the sound tho.
-Enzo
that and using FI is kinda cheating, i dont see the GT3 using a turbocharger
Old 12-16-2003, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by EnzoRWD
there is more to the gt3 than motor. no amount of power can overcome that. you will need to do an equal if not greater amount of work on the suspension.
and its a porsche, so BRAKES!
pity you will never have the sound tho.
-Enzo
that and using FI is kinda cheating, i dont see the GT3 using a turbocharger
OF COURSE there is more to it than motor that is why i am fighting with the idea of putting in a rb or sr. the porsche has great balance it could do 11's in the quarter go up to 190 mph plus it could handle the road very well. i am surprise that most tuners don't base there platform off this car.

and as far as using a turbocharger did the united states stop using there planes to bomb targets at iraq? because iraq did'nt have any in the sky. no!!! because they had one objective win. and when you are going against a porsche you better not come up short because you will lose.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

The RB is not ganna hurt the handling THAT much. First off get mckinneys mounts so it is further back and lower. No A/C, put the battery in the rear and you will be set.
GT3 is really a one of a kind car...you might be able to beat it in some catergories, but u will never be better then one.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:49 AM

WHY wouldn't i be better than one in which catogorie i will lose in. be specific
Old 12-16-2003, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member

Well..Its like this. You can use all the money in the world to fix up a 240 and beat a GT3, well beat it in 1/4 mile, auto X, salomn(sp?), 0-60, braking and etc. but you will still be a 240sx. Ya know?? Are you just trying to beat a GT3 or be better or become one?? Whatever u wanna do, more power to you though.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:44 PM

well, for one the sound. also, the styling will never be quite as nice as the gt3, but both of those are opinions.
im sure you could get a car that beats a gt3 in numbers, but it will never feel and be as fluid as a gt3. i dont know much about the new gt3, but the 99 car was better handling than a 360 modena (360 is faster and more powerful). so if ferrari couldnt top it in handling, errr...
also, when all is added up, it might be a better idea to buy a 97-98 996 carrera 2, and work from there....
i dont know. interesting idea tho....
-Enzo
Old 12-23-2003, 08:40 AM

OKAY i decided to get a a rb25 with the mckinney motor mounts that should help balance out the car.

i thought about getting a clip myself but it seems that is not going to happen i live in the northeast area and would like to know if there any shops willing to perform this swap because i want ac and heat as well i was going to do it but it looks like i won't have the time.

i thought about letting mckinney do it but i realized that they are on the west coast is there anybody on the east coast that can perform the swap.and has done it already. i know unstable does it but i wantto know that anybody do it as well?
Old 12-23-2003, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

Jon powell and nismo are close to you I belive, not sure. Try searching for them and pming them, they can really help you out on it.

Quick Reply: CAN a 240 sx compete against a porsche 911 gt3