General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

ClubRedSilvia out of commision.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 05:12 PM

Angry ClubRedSilvia out of commision.

last night my car took a shiet, and i pretty much fed it the ex-lax. I was trying to keep up wit my friends '96 vr6 golf and i REALLY pushed my car. i ran through clean to 6700-6800 rpm in first, second, and third gears. (please don't tell me i'm stupid, because i pretty much know this already and i already feel like ****). Then, i went to shift into fourth and i went too far in third gear ,so it tried to keep me from shifting into 4th. i pulled on it a little too hard and let the clutch out........and i was in second gear. RPM's soared like i've never seen before and i went to push the clutch in to stop it, but it wouldnt go. i had to pretty much punch my shifter out of second gear and proceded to roll off to the side of the road.
-- here's the "stats"= my clutch pedal goes to the floor with ABSOLUTELY NO EFFORT, as if it weren't even attached to anything, and i cant even shift into gear. The engine starts and runs perfectly. My gears feel a little rough, but barely noticable. No leaks, no smells.

What could have happened to my clutch that would leave it almost "non-existant"
- i have already found a clutch/ pressure plate and i'm pretty sure that its my clutch that took a dump (correct me if i'm wrong).
- i also need to find a good flywheel on the cheap, so any help would be great.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

by thinking about it it sounds like your pressure plate is bad, but then again what do i know.
from reading our pressure plates are supposed to be pretty weak by now and im sure you were freaking out stomping on the clutch. making the fork put alot of stress on the ps plate. meh, your clutch and flywheel are probably gone too. save up and by exedy stage 1.

Last edited by MS!3; 04-06-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

god man, you really made that thing take a dump. Diarhea style.
Check ebay you can find cheap Cluth parts there (good brands not the generic Taiwan made shiet)
Old 04-06-2007, 05:56 PM

-i have already ordered an Exedy Oem replacement on ebay, becuz i am dead broke right now. I am going to drop the tranny tomorrow, seeing as how its not going anywhere anyway, to assess the damage- i just need a flywheel.
- the worst part is that my car had to be pulled home last night by the same Subaru that i had fun beating up on all night long
Old 04-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

cool bro. Damn you Subaru, you will pay!!!
Old 04-06-2007, 06:03 PM

i always start with the easiest (cheapest) solution. i'd check to make sure your clutch slave cylinder is still aligned properly and it is making contact with the fork. if that's a yes pull the tranny and check out your issues. if you've already ordered up the clutch might as well put it in i suppose.

that's sucks, but that's a part of the game in my head.

gluck.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member

^ Bumnah said that with a total sly smile on his face hehehe.
But yeah bro good luck with everything. And mite as well upgrade the drivetrain components while you have everything apart.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:24 PM

Its not that hard to shift, no really. You just pull it straight down. No need for effort. Shifting smooth > shifting hard.

Get your flywheel resurfaced, or call fidanza.
You got a clutch, awesome.
Check your clutch slave cyl. If you have no clutch pedal at all, ding ding ding, looks like it took a crap.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Contributing Member

Did you check the clutch master cylinder?
Old 04-07-2007, 06:11 PM

well, i got my car up on jack stands today and took a look at teh slave cylinder. seems fine and dosent leak (i never lost any clutch fluid) , but then again, i'm not exactly sure what i'm looking for. maybe somebody could help me? tell me what to look for? i'm not a complete idiot, but i really have never had clutch problems before.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

get under the car and have someone push in the clutch to make sure the slave cylinder is workin fine just make sure the stands are in good spots so it doesnt fall on you also try seein if the fork has any play in it you should NOT be able to move it freely
Old 04-08-2007, 06:13 AM

alright, when i was under there, i could squeeze the fork-thing towards the slave cylinder by squeezing on both ends, but i couldn't "stretch" it out the least bit (the way that it goes when the clutch is pressed.) thats good right? How much free play should it have from side to side? , also my dad said it might be the upper portion (in the engine bay?) , but i have lost no fluid.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

like said earlier... check the clutch master and slave. If you cant get it into gear, it sounds like the clutch isnt disengaging and its holding onto the flywheel. My acura legend had a pressure plate go bad, and it was quite sporadic in its last few months as to how it wanted to engage and ****. Itll go into all gears, it just doesnt catch.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:13 PM

sooooo
bad pressure plate = goes thru gears but has no hold
and
bad slave cylinder = won't go into gear b/c it dosen't dis-engage clutch?
-anyway i am going to have my friend look at it tomorrow because he is a mechanic at Sutherlin Nissan and he can get it up on a lift for me and order me stock nissan parts at-cost.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Contributing Member

Bad slave or master will cause the clutch not to move. Not just the slave, though the slave is the most likely culprit.

Quick Reply: ClubRedSilvia out of commision.