General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

clutch/pressure plate/flywheel ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

clutch/pressure plate/flywheel ???'s

okay guys, so i'm getting a cheap *** clutch kit (F1 off of ebay), and a ACT six puck disk.... the question is, could i use the bad *** ACT6 puck on the F1 clutch's pressure plate? my car came with a ACT six puck, but the pressure plate surface is shot and i've been doing research and it cannot be resurfaced... so could i mate thus clutch disk to the F1 pressure plate? and just toss the F1 sprung 6 puck....

also, i see fidanza and spec make flywheels with the removable friction plates... i before i realized Spec makes the same type of flywheel as fidanza, immediatly thought mine was a fidanza, and ordered and new friction plate for it.... but then i saw that Spec has the same set up.... my flywheel is not marked with any brand, kinda old, sticker fell off, and just some random engravings..... question about this, is, if it is a Spec flywheel i have and not a Fidanza, will the friction plate still work? gauging from the pictures online of the two flywheels, they what appears to be an exact same bolt pattern and size... i've looked online for flywheel brand recognitions, and came up empty...

thanks guys!!!!!
Old 12-25-2008, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

why don't you purchase a full kit by the same manufacturer? Centerforce, clutchmasters, and south bend are decently priced if that's an issue. Other inexpensive option would be a ka truck/rb flywheel and 240mm disk and pp (vg30de or rb clutch kit).
Old 12-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member

pressure plates are for the most part engine/application specific so yes you can mix and match parts as long as they were intended for the same engine/application. i say for the most part because there are kits out there that just use a generic stage x term while big name manufactures are more specific. so if you use a oem equivalent pressure plate with oem equivalent clutch you'll be fine. or a clutch and pressure plate intended for track us but from different manufactures you'll be fine also.

this is of course assuming you're buying quality parts. what you shouldn't do is mix and match oem with track intended parts. this will result is your clutch slipping and or premature wear.

as for the friction plate if the demotions are the same and it bolts onto your current flywheel you'll be ok. ideally you'd want to buy the kit but if not this should work just fine.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

cool deal guys... i was freaking out about the clutch issue...

here's what i have exactly as far as clutch set up...

car came with a ACT "stage 3" 6 puck unsprung clutch kit and i loved it, but it was pretty much shot out so i priced out a new kit, and it was like $400ish, and i don't have that money to spend, so i bought...

eBay F1 "Stage 3" 6 puck sprung clutch kit

then i found a deal on a ACT unsprung 6 puck unprung (the one i liked) for only $50

so yeah, i was just wondering if the ACT 6 puck would work on the F1 pressure plate, you guys answered that question so THANKS!!!!

i hope that the friction plate works, cause i ordered the fidanza friction plate... lets just hope it's a fidanza flywheel and not a spec, and if it is a spec, the fidanza friction plate works...

once again, thanks guys..... been a while since i posted anything outside of my build threads...
Old 12-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

here's a very informative vid about your question.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/P...et-a_91227.htm
Old 12-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

awesome vid.... explained a lot....

i'll still be running the ACT 6 puck unsprung, as i've heard those eBay clutches, slip, and wear super fast, but i will be using the pressure place that comes with the F1 kit...

flywheel friction plate is still up in the air... one consolation is that in that video, when he held up the flywheel, you could see a little sticker, about an inch wide, by about 3/8 tall.... about the same estimated size of the sticker on mine.. mine was stained black though so i couldn't make it out....

thanks guys, this short thread, and video, helped me out... hopefully it will help someone else out...

for those that are interested, when i get this set up installed, broken in, and really beat on it, i'll give a full review in my build thread...
Old 12-25-2008, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

make sure you install a new nissan tob and pilot bushing too! I just did my clutch last week... 750 mile break in is killing me though.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

yea that video is actually stickied in the drive-train section........................................... .................................................. ...............................https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drivetrain-14/educational-video-clutches-39822/

Last edited by Biggamehit; 12-25-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by silviaks2nr
make sure you install a new nissan tob and pilot bushing too! I just did my clutch last week... 750 mile break in is killing me though.
why so many miles? it should only be 500 or so for an organic clutch and a few good burn out for a kevlar. i think?
Old 12-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Contributing Member

lol i never take it easy with a new clutch never had a problem but then again never had a new organic clutch so ill confirm kevlar needs no break in period
Old 12-25-2008, 08:25 PM
Contributing Member

luckily i was reading up on the ACT 6 pucks.... no break in period but a few burn outs it seems lolol....

i am going to replace the TOB and pilot bushing... that's kinda a unspoken deal... thanks tho!
Old 12-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Contributing Member

once again

that depends on the material brother.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:12 PM
Contributing Member

the ACT stage 3 6 puck... did some research on it.... i'll still take it easy for the first 100 miles or so... just to be on the safe side
Old 12-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Contributing Member

act doesn't come in stages...

its xtream etc etc.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Contributing Member

talking bout the xtcc or whatever it is? i think i know what you're talking about....

as you can see, i'm relativly new to this.... normally anyone of my cars wouldn't last till i need to put a clutch in it, either wrecked it, or sold it first....

Quick Reply: clutch/pressure plate/flywheel ???'s