General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Connecting an Oil Catch Can

Old 10-30-2005, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

Connecting an Oil Catch Can

I'm Installing a greddy catch can... one hose comes off the t-fitting and goes to the can, and the other goes back to the intake pipe... Looking at one picture i found, theres only a hose leading to the can and not coming back

thinking about this - Would it hurt anything if i didnt return a line from the can to the intake? It would defiantely keep everything out... i've also been reading about people putting steel wool in to 'catch' the oil, the newer style (wouldnt have ordered had i known this) is a solid can... putting the wool in isnt an option, unless i poke it through the little fitting holes (not happening) So not connecting the hose back to the intake pipe would prevent anything from going through the can and back into the engine

seen in this car:

thanks (yea, i did post this on other sites - good answers help other forum members too )

Last edited by nsn240; 11-02-2005 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

i know that you know that somebody knows...
Old 10-31-2005, 11:34 AM

all it does is vent presser from the head
will it matter if it gose back to the intake pipe
no

as for the wool thing if your having that much blow by that you need wool to soak up the oil theres somthing wrong
Old 10-31-2005, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

I don't get why anybody would install a catch can like that. It's just so completely pointless and half-assed.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by steve 14
as for the wool thing if your having that much blow by that you need wool to soak up the oil theres somthing wrong
i you look inside a catch can... you can see the in-fitting and out fitting are righ next to each other... without something in there, the oil doesnt get catch and the can doesnt help much
Old 11-02-2005, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

1 goes to the intake port, the other goes to the valve cover. if you leave one of them disconnected then you have an intake leak and you mess up your a/f.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by nsn240
i you look inside a catch can... you can see the in-fitting and out fitting are righ next to each other... without something in there, the oil doesnt get catch and the can doesnt help much
well buy a better one
the in and out lines have to be on the top of the can with a drain plug on the bottom
so
a) you have yours upside down
b) you have a crap design
Old 11-02-2005, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by steve 14
well buy a better one
the in and out lines have to be on the top of the can with a drain plug on the bottom
so
a) you have yours upside down
b) you have a crap design
ok smartass... maybe you should have read the post... that car isnt mine, i was asking on how to connect it. thanks raine thats what i needed to hear -- too bad the can i got from the ebay seller is the wrong thing. now i have to wait for a new one
Old 11-05-2005, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by nsn240
ok smartass... maybe you should have read the post... that car isnt mine, i was asking on how to connect it. thanks raine thats what i needed to hear -- too bad the can i got from the ebay seller is the wrong thing. now i have to wait for a new one
my friend, you know that getting an Ebay catch can was the first mistake.

(you knew that was coming! LOL)
Old 11-05-2005, 03:27 PM

I told you not to buy a ebay catch can
Old 11-06-2005, 02:19 AM

Well Steve 14 is the only one who gave you an intelligent answer all you need is the one line from the valve cover to the catch can, and the catch can should be vented in some manner. Your A/F will not be effected in any way by not running it to the intake pipe. If you did have blow-by that would cause you to fill the catch can up then you have some serious problems and if it was ran back to your intake pipe you can expect your turbo and intercooler to be filled with oil. look at my oil catch can in my pics in the members rides, that is as simple as you can get and all you need.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by silviasichigo
Well Steve 14 is the only one who gave you an intelligent answer all you need is the one line from the valve cover to the catch can, and the catch can should be vented in some manner. Your A/F will not be effected in any way by not running it to the intake pipe. If you did have blow-by that would cause you to fill the catch can up then you have some serious problems and if it was ran back to your intake pipe you can expect your turbo and intercooler to be filled with oil. look at my oil catch can in my pics in the members rides, that is as simple as you can get and all you need.
If I read that right, then you're saying that having an air leak after the MAFs will NOT affect a/f?

I disagree.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by l2aine
If I read that right, then you're saying that having an air leak after the MAFs will NOT affect a/f?

I disagree.
Raine I think he was implying on plugging the intake to make +pressure. Only using the line from the the valve cover to the catch can......

But then again what is the point on getting the catch can, you won't have positive pressure to feed the oil to the catch can.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 11-06-2005 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:45 PM

any air ofter the MAF is already metered and has no effect on A/F, and yes I was implying you plug the hole as for my intake pipe it is 100mm and has only a MAF attacthed to it. Oh an Big vinne if you think at 8000rpm there is no +crankcase pressure you are very lost. I have been building and drag racing these engines for 12 years and I have never had a problem with the type of catch cans I use, However the catch can in the picture happens to be a friend of mine and it works fine the cusco's are cosmetic and small

For the S13 it is the same way there is just a T coming out of the Vavle cover that is why you see the type of oil catch in the top pic it is to accomadate the extra hole which only needs to be vented.

If you are seriously haveing that much blow-by you have a jacked up engine and need to get it checked out.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by silviasichigo
Oh an Big vinne if you think at 8000rpm there is no +crankcase pressure you are very lost.
I'm not lost at all. SR's rev too 8000+RPM, KA's make it to 7200RPM with serious complications after 5965RPM. In refrence to me owning a KA stroker I would need the positive pressure from the intake charge (turbo charged or not), Maybe not for an SR, but then again I don't really tinker with the sr too much.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Connecting an Oil Catch Can