General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Considering 240 to Silvia project

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 08:13 PM

Considering 240 to Silvia project

Hey there, new here as you can tell.

Considering a new project as the subject suggests, wondering where you might direct me to learn the ins and outs of what's involved in a North American conversion to euro silvia, how extensive is the body work or is it more a matter of bolting up the new fenders etc??

Any suggestion as to the best year of a 240 to look for?

Not too sure where to even start as you might have noticed my background lies in a slightly different car.
Old 12-11-2002, 11:15 PM
Contributing Member

keep your celica. 240sx = headache.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by battlestylespl
keep your celica. 240sx = headache.
LOL, always hating
Old 12-12-2002, 08:07 AM

Well I don't plan to sell my Celica, it's just that being so new there's limited options for it and I've done most of it, then there is the cost factor.

Kind of likeing the idea of buying an older car and being able to do almost all I want to do to it for a bit more than 1/2 of what's invested in my Celica.

But I truly don't know anything about the 240's yet.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:43 AM

redlyne Celica,

Hey that celica is pretty Sick!!!! 240sx are hella koo as well.

You might have to get the Japanese HID head lamps!!! they look koo.

Driftkaztik
Old 12-12-2002, 10:05 PM
Contributing Member

if you think you can build a 240 as a bargain project car, i have a bridge to sell you.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:19 AM

True, but fact is it is cheaper in general for parts for the nissan than say for his toyota and for say my prelude. Besides, with what he saves on getting the car instead of say a civic he can put a few bills into the nissan and still buy lunch at taco bell!
Old 12-13-2002, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

SO THAT IS WHY PEOPLE BUY THE 240...
.CUZ THEY ARE CHEAP.
I THOUGHT IT WAS BECAUSE THEY WANTED A COOL rwd CAR WITH A PRETTY GOOD CHASSIS AND STYLE TO MATCH.

I WAS CURIOUS AS TO WHY ALL THESE PEOPLE CAME OUTTA THE WOOD WORK TO PLAY THE NISSAN GAME..........

WELL FOR ALL YOU DRIVERS WHO BOUGHT THIS CAR FOR THE WRONG REASON....THIS ONE'S FOR U..........(THANKS JOSH)
Attached Thumbnails Considering 240 to Silvia project-fe3d43fd.jpg  
Old 12-13-2002, 02:50 PM

Your a moody bunch aren't you?

As mentioned the Nissan will be cheaper than my Celica, if I had both cars dollar for dollar on the Nissan what I have into my Celica I'd have damn mean car.

Building a budget car(In comparison to Celica, hell my CAI was 650 bucks) is only half the decison, it comes down to the weaknesses of the Celi.

The 7th Gen Celica is extremely agile, and light, but like all Celicas it's underpowered, and there really aren't any good swap options. Furthermore building power is hard enough but putting on the ground in an effective manner in a FWD car is also another challenge.

So that's why I'm looking at the Nissan, RWD, decent aftermarket b/c it's older, chance to build something semi unique in these parts w/ Silvia conversion, not played out like Honda, and somewhat cheaper than all the mentioned above.

What is the curb weight of a 240? I haven't looked at all

Celica is light, 2425lbs.

All in all I'm pretty new to Sport Compacts and cars in general.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:51 PM

Oh and I forgot the number one reason for owning a Celica, there's just not a sweeter looking sport compact out there in today's market IMO.
Old 12-13-2002, 03:23 PM

I agree with Redlyne about the dollar for dollar deal.

I have a 2000 Ek civic hatch, bought in 2000, and the cost of the car and insurance and to hook it up is expensive.

I bought my 240 for 900 dollars. I've been a big fan of Nissan, but a few years ago, you couldnt get much for other cars outside of a Honda (except JDM stuff).
I'm into style and performance. Nowadays, SR20 swaps are everywhere and also now the RB swap... I couldnt even fathom of puttin a skyline motor in a 240 back then...

Now JDM stuff is common for 240s and other cars compared to a few years ago (this is my opinion).
Old 12-15-2002, 09:59 AM

I got my nissan because I love the car...not cause its cheap...that is just an added bonus. I wanted a car to learn with...to do a swap in, to make something that is unique to the area and have something that I can say I built up with my own hands. Fact is I wont touch my 2001 prelude because I am not experienced enough...but when I am done building my 240 I should have no problems.
Old 12-15-2002, 09:03 PM

Yah I was scared to do much on my own to my Celica at first too, esp since I don't have the yrs of mechanical exp growing up as many do, but truth is new or old cars are pretty similar, and tho I bought my Celica so I wouldn't have to work on it I've had so much more ripped apart on it then I ever have on anything else.
Old 12-16-2002, 12:00 AM

Talking im finally in the friggin' system. Damn! i need advice

hey, whats up, whats the discussion? anyways i need advice on my tubo project.
Old 12-16-2002, 12:03 AM

Cool

hey red-lyne celica? can you help me? i need advice as to what turbo to go with. im thinking a mitsubishi super 16 g, what do you think?

Quick Reply: Considering 240 to Silvia project