General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

A couple 240sx Questions(need some advice)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 07:01 PM

A couple 240sx Questions(need some advice)

Hello,

First off, I am still a "idiot" when it comes to cars, yet I am trying to learn more and more every day.

Anyways, I was recommended to check out Nissan's 240sx models for my price range and currrent goals in becoming a tuner.

Ok, so, my price range is about $7,----(hopefully I can get one for a little less..maybe). What do 240sx's(decent condition, no high-miles, good daily drivers) run for? (USD $$)

Second, how's the current tuner community and market like? I know there's a pretty big 240sx fan base, yet what is the availability for mods and oem parts...and help installing, etc.?

Third, all-around, is the 240sx a pretty sturdy car? I'm more friendly with Hondas(only thing i've ever had), so I don't know the quality/lifespan of an older Nissan.

Lastly, which year/specific model would you personally recommend for me?

-Will use as a daily driver
-I will most likely mod it, yet with taste(no god awful horrendous body kits, etc.)
-I am not rich, so I can't afford expensive maintance bills
-I like all the body styles, so that's not a factor

Well, thanks in advance for any advice I may receive...one of the main reasons I came here is because of the large numbers of knowledgable people.

-Nihsnek
Old 01-30-2007, 08:45 PM

Was it 7,000 or 70,000?
Old 01-30-2007, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

240s have a huge aftermarket base. Theyre pretty knowledgable and helpful. For you, a s14 240 would be better suited. Finding one with low miles will be a challenge though (low being under 120k). 240s can be very good cars, provided they werent from the north, and they werent heavily abused. Theyre pretty cheap to maintain, but you have to maintain them just like any older car. Any other q's just let us know.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:59 PM

Lol, 7,000

Thanks LA_phantom_240, good info!
Old 01-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Contributing Member

$7K seem a little high to me, i'd look for an s13 for about $2k restore it to mint condition, get some basic mods and call it good.

total price should be about $5k if you do the work yourself and shop around comparing prices. after all if this is going to be your daily driver you don't want too much power. the reasons being is that for one the mods might not be street legal.

i don't know what your emision laws are in texas but a turbo or any engine other than your curent one is out of the question on any federal highway.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:16 PM

S13=$3,000+SR20DET=$4,000...there you go. OR get a sexy S14 Kouki, then you have an already mint condition car ready for anything you want to put on it. If it was me, i think i would go with an S13 cause I love em. But its up to you, you can find any great 240 for around 7,000.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:08 AM
Contributing Member

you would probably learn a lot more reading forums for the next month or two as opposed to posting this thread and reading our replies. while browsing active threads, certain things should catch your eye, when they do go ahead and search for more detailed info on that subject. this way you will gain a lot more information and will become more comfortable dealing with 240s.

some good sites to browse would be.

www.zilvia.net
www.club240.com (here)

i hear nico and 240sxforums are also good but i dont have any personal experience with these two.

good luck.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

^^^

Nico has alot of good info in the how to section.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:48 AM

Get a S14!
Old 01-31-2007, 01:29 PM

Hey Ayuaddict,

thanks for advice and the links...

also, thanks everyone else for the suggestions so far, good information!

I think the emission laws aren't that strict, as alot of my buddies have turbos/catless systems.

I was thinking about sticking with an all-motor approach, but I kinda want to experiment with a Turbo build too, to maximize performance per $.

Last edited by Nihsnek; 01-31-2007 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

i would suggest that you learn more about cars before you want to jump in and change around parts. a car is a system-- all the parts work in conjunction with eachother, and altering the system can be beneficial or detrimental depending on what you modify. i would suggest just reading and looking at diagrams. even sites like howstuffworks.com are great for learning about interal combustion engines, suspension, and drivetrain.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Nihsnek

I think the emission laws aren't that strict, as alot of my buddies have turbos/catless systems.

this has been dicused to death already but lets beat the horse some more.

while state or county laws may not requier emission checks, it still is a fereral affence to tamper with your cars emission system if it is to be driver on any street/road/highway/freeway ect....

even with strict laws you can get away with these mods. but if you get caught you can kiss you car good bye. that is a price i am not willing to pay.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:53 PM

Howstuffworks.com=FTW all the way. that is were i pretty much learned all the basics. one of the best sites on the web. And silviaks2nr is right, make sure you do a crap load of research and do alot of planning on exactly what you want to do to your car. If you take a perfectly good 240 and put a B16 engine in it or something, i will personally hunt you down and run you over with your own car. Spend hours looking around and reading man, the most important mod you could ever do is to yourself: know everything about your car!!
Old 01-31-2007, 06:14 PM

Yea, I wasn't planning on modding as soon as I got the car, just start to lay out a general plan.

I will spend some time on howstuffworks.com, thanks for the link.

I didn't know that jramosthe1st!, lol, sorry for not searching before I would post such an idiot remark. =(. Thank you for the information, ^^.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:01 PM

yeah i didnt think you were gonna throw stuff on it right away, but i just wanted to make sure. your lucky that you are getting into 240's already with the money to buy one...I have been in love with 'em for like 6 months now and I'm still just a poor student with no cash, so i spend all my time day dreaming on the internet about what i want with my car. but you got it made.

Quick Reply: A couple 240sx Questions(need some advice)