General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Driver door lock issues....please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 12:24 PM

Question Driver door lock issues....please help!!!

i dont know what the heck this could be or be from, but when i get out of my car-i lock the door and shut....and i can turn around and open it right back up without unlocking it????? is something brok, bent, not attched right?? Please help me with some good feedback because i dont like the feeling of knowing anyone and evryone can jus open my door if they tried to. Also....its jus the driver door-passenger door is fine. Thanks alot guys
Old 03-13-2009, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by 1991se240sx
i dont know what the heck this could be or be from, but when i get out of my car-i lock the door and shut....and i can turn around and open it right back up without unlocking it????? is something brok, bent, not attched right?? Please help me with some good feedback because i dont like the feeling of knowing anyone and evryone can jus open my door if they tried to. Also....its jus the driver door-passenger door is fine. Thanks alot guys

Take your door panel off..Its 2 screws and like 243242 thousand clips. So Just do that then like look at all the stuff see if anythings not connected.. Like pull the handle, see if it does something, then pull the inside handle..if you get what im saying, not really good at explaining things.. .haha
Old 03-13-2009, 12:35 PM

i got u....ill give it a look around today. Also wanted to note-that i did use the helpful lil search bar.....seems like a common problm but somthing about holding the handle up then shutting the door. But....when key is inserted into lock-it feels like it turns freely like its not locking/unlocking nothing. Ill pop the panel off today and peep it out tho-thanks alot man
Old 03-13-2009, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by 1991se240sx
i got u....ill give it a look around today. Also wanted to note-that i did use the helpful lil search bar.....seems like a common problm but somthing about holding the handle up then shutting the door. But....when key is inserted into lock-it feels like it turns freely like its not locking/unlocking nothing. Ill pop the panel off today and peep it out tho-thanks alot man

Yup. Let me know what happens, you'll be the first person i've ever helped..hahah
Old 03-13-2009, 01:41 PM

well....got it popped off and was looking up in there....but you can tell something is deff missing. There is nothing goin to the key lock what so ever and theres nothing laying down at the bottom or dangling from anywhere. Also discovered that i do have to hold my handle up while closing the door and its fine. I can go to the passenger door and unlock both doors from the passngr side lock. Sounds kinda weird to me but i dig it....jus knowing my car will sit a lil safer makes me feel better and i can stll get in my car without entering thru passenger side and reaching over and poping the lock from the inside.....thank you for the help. I feel honered to be your first, haha. You've officially lost your V-card at helping ppl.HAHA. Thanks again dude-i really appriciate it.

Last edited by 1991se240sx; 03-13-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

That doesnt make sense that you can unlock both doors from the passenger side because the drivers side doesnt have a popper. Unless it has or has had keyless entry and was installed aftermarket.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:47 PM

yea i know dude.....it bugged me out when i figured it out. I dont know what the heck it could be. When i got the car from the auction....there were no keys for it. So i had to have the key maker man meet me on the lot to have a set made up($30 for both...seemed like a deal to me) but when he cut up a set programmed for a s13....they didnt even work. He used them as a base and took him almost 30mins of trying, cutting,tryin,cutting,etc....until he got it right. I was lost because there are no power locks in the car.....but when both doors are locked-i can stick the key in the pass. lock and watch the driver lock unlock at the same exact time the pass. one unlocks. anything in particular i should look for?? if i should look for anything to begin with.....thnx
Old 03-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

That is the power locks on the S13.... You lock the drivers side and both of them lock. That is how it works.... HAHA. Do you have power windows?? If you do, I am pretty sure you have power locks.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:10 PM

yea....i got power windows. But nothin happens when i lock the driver side locks. If thats the way its supposed to be-thats kinda jewish. I know my buddys s14 had the factory keyless entry on it and he paid nissan and got a new programmed remote.....did the s13's come with any lil option like this or not? id like to have a remote for somthing like this....
Old 03-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Go to best buy. You can get one installed for like $200. HAHA. Or if your good with electronics then you can buy it and install it yourself and save that $60. I dont know if any came factory with it or not. None that I know of. The older nissans and datsuns use this type of lock. I dont mind it one bit. I got used to it. I think its more inconvient to reach for a button and lock it than to push the lock closed when your hand is already right there.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:30 PM

i dig it man. It doesnt really bother me either way.....just ddnt kno if the s13s had it or not. My grand am gt had one and it was convienient to hit the button to unlock my doors and jus hop in and roll out. Now for the whole handle lift while shutting?? whats up with that? what was nissan thinking? and i noticed from doin a search on it....sounds like some cars do this and some dont????? just somthing im not used to
Old 03-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

Mine doesnt do that. I think that is so you dont lock your keys in your car or something stupid like that or maybe its just broken?? Mine is a 92 though. Maybe they changed something.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:56 PM

lift the door handle when you close the door. I have to do that with my S13 Coupe. yes it's got power window/door lock.

this should fix your problem. get used to it, most old imports do this.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Contributing Member

My 92 isnt like that... HAHA. Guess 92 was the best year for the 40s. Actually both of mine are from 92
Old 03-13-2009, 04:03 PM

yea dude, i dont know what it is either. the thing is weird i will tell u that tho. I can start the car....lock the door and shut it (keep in mind that the engines running....and window is down haha) and the door locks fine, no handle lift then shut, just shut it and its locked.....same for passenger side. But when its off is when i hav to lift the handle and shut it-same for pass side. Maybe it is a 91 and earlier thing but i dont know. shyts confusing tho....but it works so its kool

Quick Reply: Driver door lock issues....please help!!!